Vintage vs Ringo set

capnbobk

• Members

Im a huge Beatle fan. I bought a 1969 black diamond pearl kit and Im thinking about re-wrapping in black oyster pearl. My question is: am I ruining a pristine vintage set? the value that I see today is about equal for that era set vs almost any "Ringo" set. thanks for any and all opinions.

• Members

ya'll said it, but i'm feeling chatty.

If the kit doesn't NEED re-wrapping, then don't mess with it. It's cooler to let it be what it is, than trying to make it something else.

Is it in the sizes Ringo played? I wouldn't change the finish, just to make it have the "Ringo finish" if it's not a configuration he played. That's just silly.

Now, if you found a 'player' that was in Ringo sizes, then I say... take a sad kit and make it better.

• Members

Yeah, I'll go with everyone else on this. Unless they are beat all to hell, I wouldn't touch them. An alternative would be to buy orphans (of obviously different colors and made in different years but made with the same ply layup and keystone badges) and re-wrap them with OBP. That way you don't have to feel guilty about doing it.

Yet another alternative, which is better than buying a new Ludwig re-issue kit in my opinion, is this. Get some Keller Vintage Mahagony shells, wrap them in OBP, buy some Large Classic Lugs on eBay (of which there is an abundance of) and you got a Ringo kit that actually will sound more like a Ringo kit than the ones Ludwig sells. You can even then take the Ringo kit to the next level and put a Rogers Swivo tom mount on it like he used. The rest of the parts for the kit are all over eBay. Hoops and tension rods you can buy new.

• Members

Originally posted by cheeseadiddle

Get some Keller Vintage Mahagony shells, wrap them in OBP, buy some Large Classic Lugs on eBay (of which there is an abundance of) and you got a Ringo kit that actually will sound more like a Ringo kit than the ones Ludwig sells.

Sounds like a fun project for my summer '07. What kinda resources for finding out about Ringo's sizes can you point at? I've been looking for Ringo Re-issues, and I'm not finding any.

/w

• Members

Originally posted by WillyRay

Sounds like a fun project for my summer '07. What kinda resources for finding out about Ringo's sizes can you point at? I've been looking for Ringo Re-issues, and I'm not finding any.

/w

(2) OBP 12x8, 14x14, 20x14 kits and (2) OBP 13x9, 16x16, 22x14 kits. The natural maple kit was 12x8, 13x9, 16x16, 22x14. He always used a 14x5.5 OBP Jazz Festival snare.

• Members

Thank you all for the good advice. You make a lot of sense. I have successfully rewrapped another kit for a friend, but it was what you called a "player" kit. Im very proud of this vintage Ludwig 5 piece kit. Its in perfect condition, came with all vintage hardware and cymbals. And it sounds great. I use it only for recording Beatle songs. so, its not like it has to "look" like Ringo's famous BOP kits. I know that Ringo always used 4 piece kits as a Beatle but I wasnt going pass up this 1969 treasure because of an an extra tom. thanks again.

• Members

Originally posted by capnbobk

I know that Ringo always used 4 piece kits as a Beatle but I wasnt going pass up this 1969 treasure because of an an extra tom. thanks again.

About the time of Sgt Pepper, he had Mal Evans mount an additional Swivo mount to his favorite 13/16/22 kit and he started recording essentially with a five piece kit. If you get a copy of Beatles Gear, you can see the bass drum I'm talking about. Plus his natural maple kit was a five piece kit.

• Members

Originally posted by capnbobk

Im a huge Beatle fan. I bought a 1969 black diamond pearl kit and Im thinking about re-wrapping in black oyster pearl. My question is: am I ruining a pristine vintage set? the value that I see today is about equal for that era set vs almost any "Ringo" set. thanks for any and all opinions.

it would be kind of you to share some photos...please?

Archived