pacific fx series kits-any good?

gavstar69

• Members

Hi all, I'm from Ireland and i'm about to buy a Pacific fx series kit online. Would any of you guys have an opinion on wether they're any good?

I know theyre somehow connected to dw, which is a good thing but i dont know what they sound like etc. Any views?

• Members

The Pacific FS is a nice sounding kit. My understanding is that they use many of the same "DW" techniques in making these drums.

The main complaints you'll hear are issues with quality (i.e. shells not round, hardware problems, etc.). If at all possible, buy them from a store so that you can see them and play them. If you buy them online, it will be a pain for you to return them.

Also, check EBAY. There are always lots of these used kits for sale. See if you can get a bargain vs. paying the brand new price.

• Members

People claim ohh, there great, the price is right, they use the same tecnique as DW, BULLSHIT, yadda, blah, blah. If these drums sounded 10% as good as DW's sound, I'd eat my left shoe. I don't buy it, this is just another crappy midpriced set ment for high school kids trying to play like Travis Barker. Sorry, I don't mean that, but, I just don't think their quality measures up, and I'm surprised that DW would put their name on such a product. For your price range, go for some Yamahas, they sound much better, and they have better hardware, shells, ect... Also, the pacific snare drums suck, and the hardware is worse than some cheap 35 dollar groove percussion snare. And the finishes on Pacific, please, Ive seen better finishes on wood in 5th grade wood-shop class. Give me a break with this Pacific crap. There are much better sets worth your time and money. Take a good hard look and listen at the set you are purchasing, use whats between the heads, these are not the quality sets people make them out to be, just because something might "look" good, doesn't mean its actually as good as it looks, and Pacific drum products prove me correct. :thu:

• Members

Notice that neither guy owns a Pacific kit.

That should tell you something.

Pacific kits are the "production" line of dw and they definitely put their name on them. Same shells, except the higher grades go to dw Collector series. Cost savings come from different hw (ovals from china) and assembly in Mexico.

I purchased an LX from Sam Ash last month. A little scary online, but great deal. I recommend local if possible. 1 minor quality issue, easily resolved. If I'd paid $5K, I'd expect more of course

I was very happy with the overall quality, finish, and sound. I recommend any Pacific LX or FS kit from what I own and what I have heard from other owners.

Some dw owners slam Pacific because they paid $$$ for their kits and expect dw to present an elitist image. I say dw is doing a great service putting out good midrange kits.

-RS

• Members

The LX, MX, and CX are all-maple.

FXR and FS are all-birch.

Check out the PDP site:

http://www.pacificdrums.com/

If there have been previous quality problems, I think dw

has made the necessary corrections. Still a young subsidiary.

Like I said, my kit was excellent.

1 small scratch (not a gouge) on a BD hoop. Easy to put that on the bottom.

• Members

I've read about MANY blind tests using DW and Pacific and many people either couldn't tell the difference or got it wrong. I listen to a DW every time I go into a drum store as someone is always playing it, doesn't really sound that different from a Pacific. Hence I bought a Pacific.

Bottom line is DW drums cost 5x as much but are only about 20% quality and sound improvement. In a studio one could justify it, in live performance most wouldn't tell the difference.

• Members

I have owned a pacific snare drum, and I have also played their drums. They suck, the hardware broke, and the snares were crap, and the shell was even worse, I returned it a week later, and got a DW snare, which sounds amazing. Let me tell you, yes DW's aren't cheap, but to compare the sound, warmth, and tone of DW shells to Pacific, is just stupid. They are not the same, in sound and quality, in no shape or form. To think so, is to be so misguided, I wonder. Seriously, there are much better mid-priced kits out there. I don't slam it because I spent money on my DW's which I didn't. I purchased them used, from some old dude, that never played them, and they were cheap. I have never looked back. Don't slam something because it is expensive, because I don't slam something because it is cheap. I also wouldn't comment on something I haven't tried or played, or own, so don't put words into my mouth, and stop bitchin because you spent 1000 bucks on a crappy Pacific kit when you could just spend some more, or less, and get a better kit. YOu probobly don't know what a true great sounding set actually sounds like, because you think some crappy Pacific set could actually hold a candle to a DW set. They are expensive, but in all seriousness, they are the best drums I have ever played. Price has never been the measure of quality for me, it has always been, and will always be how it sounds, feels, and the overall quality of the instrument. Disagree with my opinion, but don't act like you know me, or how I spend my money, or what I own, alright buddy, Mr. iDrum4ever. I'm willing to bet I spent about the same amount of dough on my DW's that you did on some Pacifics, get your head out your ass bro. Use your ears. Also, did it ever occur to you guys that the reason that DW's are expensive is because they are HANDMADE IN THE USA, made by americans with health care, talent, and a love for the art of drum-making, require top end materials, and are considered one of the top professional quality drum sets, and not by some people in a sweat shop for 50 cents an hour. Thats like saying, "I don't like gold, its too expensive." Well, buddy, its fucking gold. If you want a mid-priced amateur set, if you want a professional sounding drum kit, well, your gonna pay. Stop slamming it. damn people.:thu:

• Members

Sherman22 - Hope you feel better getting that off, but you're still wrong.

If you got a bum PDP snare a few years ago, that's too bad.

I think I acknowledged there were some QA issues early on, but if dw put's their name on them, they have cleared them up.

I agree with you that a cost driver is handmade in USA vs. assembly in Mexico. Also, the dw kits have unmatched quality and finishes. HW is heavyduty too. I don't think anyone is arguing that you get a dw Collector series kit when you buy Pacific. But is is a great sounding set for the money, and the dw pedigree is there.

The point is, dw now has a production level drumline, same as the other companies. There were startup problems, but they are doing well. I know people who travel with their Pacific kits and leave their dw at home - too nice to travel with.

My local well established non-chain drum dealer gave me the info on the shells. dw definitely gets the better grades and have the reenforcement rings. Same shell stock etc. however. I don't know where the bearing edges are cut however, but plan to find out. I inspected mine and they we very good. I am getting a great sound also.

I have been playing for 35 years and have had many, many drumsets and definitely know a great sound when I hear one. I agree that I don't know you, and you certainly don't know me.

I still don't think gavstar69 should be discouraged from buying a new Pacific drumset.

• Members

Like I said, stop acting like you know my situation, I bought the Pacific Hammered Brass snare about two months ago, and it was absolute crap. If you have had a good experience with them, all the more power too ya, Play what you like in the end, I just don't think that they are quality.:)

• Members

More input:

A few years ago, I had the luxury of being the first to play on a brand new Pacific LX kit that the sound company had purchased just that afternoon.

It sounded AWESOME!

Fast foward two years, and I played that same kit at another function, and it sounded like {censored}. It had not been cared for very well (and still had some of the original heads on them). The particular sound company was not very dilligent about caring for their investment.

On the other hand, I just did a gig last night where the sound company provided a dw Collector's Series kit, in the same configuration as mine. (fusion sized toms, 22" bass). It sounded fabulous. As did the Collector's Series kit I had played at a different event earlier this year, provided by yet a different sound company. As does my own Collector's Series kit, every time I play it.

Depending on the care given, I've noticed that the Pacific's can range widely in sound quality (though I'm sure they all sound fine 'out of the box'), while every Collector's Series kit I've ever played (about 8 different ones over the last few years) ALWAYS sounded fantastic.

Therein lies the difference, in my opinion.

The moral of the story? Pacific's do sound very nice, but make sure you take good care of them. Collector's Series seem to be more forgiving of rental use. That's what you are paying the premium dough for. Like I said, in my opinion.

(also, because they are so much more expensive, I'm sure the Collector's Series drums get cared for differently than a Pacific kit!)

• Members

Hopefully everyone realizes that even Pacific themselves is expecting the serious drummer who purchases their kit will go with a different snare. Anyone that is unbiased and can tune a drum can make a good Pacific kit really sing.

Another point: never compare any drum/kit to another when using just stock heads.

• Members

Originally posted by mraia

Yeeeesh!!!

Hey Aqua, Sherm makes you and me look like long lost sisters!!
:D

No offense sherm. Just making a funny.

I'm going to NY in a few weeks....maybe we can get together and dance around in drag...like Buffallo Bill.....TIMES TWO!!!!!

"Would you fuck us? *puts on lipstick* I'd sooooooo fuck us! I'd fuck us haaaard!"

:eek: :eek: :eek:

• Members

Originally posted by aqualung211

I'm going to NY in a few weeks....maybe we can get together and dance around in drag...like Buffallo Bill.....TIMES TWO!!!!!

"Would you fuck us? *puts on lipstick* I'd sooooooo fuck us! I'd fuck us haaaard!"

:eek:

ROFL:D :thu:

"It rubs the lotion on its body"

You are so fucking disturbed, its scary.

:D:wave:

• Members

Originally posted by mraia

ROFL:D
:thu:
"It rubs the lotion on its body"

You are so fucking disturbed, its scary.

:D:wave:

"it does what it toooold!!!!!!!":mad:

I'd probably do that to your exports.....throw em in a hole and torture them:D

" it puts the aquarians on it's shell!!!!!"

• Members

Originally posted by aqualung211

"it does what it toooold!!!!!!!":mad:

I'd probably do that to your exports.....throw em in a hole and torture them:D

" it puts the aquarians on it's shell!!!!!"

Was she a big fat girl?

Well, after fucking around with that goddam drum dial all day, your free to abuse those drums any way you want.

I cant stand to look at them any more tonight.

Tomorrow I'll be back in love, but tonight:mad:

• Members

drummer in my last band had a set of pacifics, the birch ones. I helped him buy it. we left the stock hardware at the store, it did not look very good at all.

The drums themselves sound pretty freaking good. A good value, too.

not deserving of such a harsh slagging.

Archived