Does your guitarist noodle too much?

FitchFY

• Members

So Mraia's comment in the "Worst thing about being a drummer" thread about his guitarist noddling too much made me want to share a quick story. My singer is starting to play guitar, which I'm cool with. What I HATE and find INCREDIBLY RUDE is when someone is talking and someone starts playing their guitar. I bet if he was speaking and I started practicing spliiting up 32nd notes between my snare and bass drum, there'd probably be an issue.

So I came up with a resolution. :thu: (seriously, I did this).

He was ready to play last week for practice, and I happen to play guitar as well. Before we started to play as a band, I walked over with a 25' Monster cable and my Boss TU2 tuner pedal (WHICH CAN BE A BYPASS TUNER, MUTING THE GUITAR WHEN TUNING!!!).

As he stared at me with question, I unplugged his guitar cord from his guitar and plugged mine in. I then walked to my drumset and placed my TU2 next to my hi-hat pedal, and plugged the cord into that. I took his other cord and plugged it into the output of the TU2. (This translates into "I now have the ability to make you stop playing without even looking at you.")

All I said to him was "Please do not make me use this." :cool:

Amazingly, the kid didn't noodle around once during the entire practice. I guess he got the Fear of God, so to speak. ;)

• Members

Noodling is bad, no matter who's doing the noodling. The jazz guitar ensemble has a little bit of a problem with this, but not as bad as it could be, and not NEARLY as bad as the Jazz Improv class. Constant noodling. Finally, the professor said, "Are you really unaware of how incredibly rude it is to be playing while I'm talking?" I'm all for the bypass concept.

/w

• Members

Hell yes, complete noodler in the band. We are all using microphones now just because of that. I used to have to wait until his 10 minute solo was over to make a suggestion, which by then, nobody remembered what we just played. Another annoying noodle is when the guitarists have a "inspiration" and have to face each other, point at each others neck, go through an endless...no here...then here...here...now here...for what seems like an eternity, then look at me and say "got it?" Got what? I haven't a clue what they are doing (wish I did). That's why we have to have comfortable seats, its those times I wish I had a back rest, beer holder and TV to watch attached to my kit.

• Members

I am my current guitarist and sometimes I noodle as I'm speaking so there's kind of a hypocrisy thing going on but it's usually constructive so I'm ok with it.

Noodling in an of itself, while usually a waste of time, can be a fruitful creative experience. Time and place for everything.

Otherwise down with noodling.

• Members

tough subject.

the trick to curtailing noodling is nipping it in the bud. As in first rehearsal, institute a no noodling policy. then do your part.

drummers can be the most infamous (and annoying) noodlers. After a 5-year hiatus from playing drums in a band, upon re-entry I decided to kick up the professionalism a notch or two, and try to only play when others were playing (and preferably the same song, simultaneously.)

And if somebody's being really rude, you have to call them on it.

"please stop that." it's ok to be a dick sometimes.

A favorite bassman I played with once suggested a policy that worked really well and is still an ideal of mine: after we've ascertained that our instruments are working (ie one or two notes) let's have the first thing any of us play be the opening notes of the first song we're rehearsing.

that sets the tone for a seriously productive rehearsal.

• Members

Originally posted by T Hofmann

...and try to only play when others were playing (and preferably the same song, simultaneously.)

LOL! That's good.

My current band is pretty good about it, but I've played with my fair share of noodlers. For some reason, it seems to be more prevalant with guitarists, but then again, I don't play with many other drummers, so maybe it's just me.

I like Fitch's solution. Next time I'm in that situation, I'll have to remember that.

My favorite is when the guitarist asks a question and then immediately goes into noodle mode. Yo, Mr. Antsy-fingers...I guess you weren't really interested in an answer?

sheesh.

• Members

Originally posted by kannibul3

Noodling is what I refer to my Cat as doing when he decides he wants to relax a LOT when I'm petting him...

purrrr, stretch, relax, purrr.....

Pick him up - he's like a wet noodle, but dry and furry
:)

..okok....you're tellin' me, that you have a cat that noodles....YET, you're over there, drivin' you're neighbors crazy with a drum kit?!:rolleyes:

(...oh, and.....the way you set the mood for us, as you related your story.....the sound effects gave it that purrrfect touch...felt like I was....there.....watching your cat.....ummm, noodle....):thu:

:wave:

• Members

Originally posted by FitchFY

So Mraia's comment in the "Worst thing about being a drummer" thread about his guitarist noddling too much made me want to share a quick story. My singer is starting to play guitar, which I'm cool with. What I HATE and find INCREDIBLY RUDE is when someone is talking and someone starts playing their guitar. I bet if he was speaking and I started practicing spliiting up 32nd notes between my snare and bass drum, there'd probably be an issue.

So I came up with a resolution.
:thu:
(seriously, I did this).

He was ready to play last week for practice, and I happen to play guitar as well. Before we started to play as a band, I walked over with a 25' Monster cable and my Boss TU2 tuner pedal (WHICH CAN BE A BYPASS TUNER, MUTING THE GUITAR WHEN TUNING!!!).

As he stared at me with question, I unplugged his guitar cord from his guitar and plugged mine in. I then walked to my drumset and placed my TU2 next to my hi-hat pedal, and plugged the cord into that. I took his other cord and plugged it into the output of the TU2. (This translates into "I now have the ability to make you stop playing without even looking at you.")

All I said to him was "Please do not make me use this."
:cool:

Amazingly, the kid didn't noodle around once during the entire practice. I guess he got the Fear of God, so to speak.
;)

Brilliant! And Ballsy too!

• Members

Originally posted by Drumming4Him

Why not play some "stand by" music?

If said "standby music" interferes with me teaching someone a part or making a suggestion for the direct benefit of the rehearsal/player/song/band, then no, lets not have any "standby music."

Now if everyone is ready to take a break or something, sure, noodle away, but not when I'm trying to teach someone a vocal melody or tell them their D string is flat, etc etc...

• Members

Originally posted by jacarual

That's my problem...I've been married too long...way too long!
:(

Ya know....i think you need some young, fresh, male lovin. They last longer than older men, and can do it more times in one day. If you come through VA just gimme a pm so..........

:D

Archived