Help! My snare wires won't tighten...

geek_usa

• Members

Okay, I'm a new drummer. I just bought this drum set and it's a yamaha YD with a PDP snare upgrade. (yes that's right, the rest is yamaha, the snare is PDP).

Well I'm tuning my toms, got everything ready to go. Now the snare. I pop the mechanism on, tighten the lugs and horray, I've got the snare wires chillin' beautifully about 1/8" below the head. So I go to turn the snare on, and it's still dead.

I'm not sure if my strainer is broken or not, it seems to tighten the wires but i've messed with it, made the big screw loose, in between, and tight as it can go. it still sounds dead and the snares won't snap.

what do i do? :cry:

thanks

• Members

Are the metal ends of the snare on the head itself, or laying on the edge of the head and bearing edge?

the ends of the snares are laying on the bottom head.

there's no way i can really tighten it any more...is there anything i can do?

• Members

There are two adjustments (three points)

1) The knob on the throw-off. Use this for "fine" adjustments

2) The snare holder - usually a plastic strap or sometimes a pair of strings, usually either held in place by a clamp of sorts (look for the drumkey lugs) or tied on (in the case of my old ludwig)

Tighten it with #2 about as good as you can get without straining too much, with #1 set about midpoint, maybe a little lower, with the snare throw-off set to "snare" and not "no-snare".

Once it's in place, tighten up the knob, until it sounds good.

• Members

Follow what jenks said and look at the snare tuning bible link narkalow gave you. If that won't straighten it out you may have a damaged throw off. Does it feel like it has a lot of play? Is it hard to pull up into place to lock? I had one on a Slingerland that was stripped I had to replace. As long as the opposite end, (strings/plastic strip) is locked into the proper position while the throws in the off position, and it's adjusted like jenks said, it should work fine.

• Members

take the snares off, loosen the strainer not quite all the way.

lay the drum upside-down. place the snare wires on the drumhead, slightly off-center towards the butt end.

fasten the wires to the butt end with cord, strap, etc., don't tighten them all the way, just snug them up finger-tight.

now pull on the opposite (strainer side) side of the snare wires (you'll feel resistance) until they're centered, and then tighten them down. you want the cord, strap, etc., to be even and balanced.

with the snare lever engaged (snares on), pull the snare cord, strap, etc., on the strainer side tightly and evenly through the clamp on the strainer and tighten them down. same deal, you want everything to be even.

season to taste.

• Members

Did you put the snare strainer on yourself? If so, you probably have it on upside down. You need to have the individual snare wires touching the head and not the "clip" side which holds the snare wires in place. The other problem could be that your snare cords are not tight enough to start with. Start with the snare strainer knob in a middle position (not tightened all of the way). There are two sides that hold the snare strainer. The "throw-off" side and the "butt" side. It would be easiest for you to loosen the butt side and make sure the snares are fairly snug against the head by pulling and holding the snare cord while you retighten the butt. After you tighten the butt side, adjust your "throw-off knob" until your snares sound the way you like them. Hope this helps.

Archived