Which snare: USA Maple Gretsch or DW Collectors Maple or ....

tlester

• Members

Hi Guys -

I have a Gretsch New Classic 3 piece shell pack on the way. 12", 16" and 22". I'm looking for a snare to match with it well. I'm kind of going between a Gretsch USA maple or a DW Collectors series maple.

Or should I be considering something else? I saw a black beauty clone that I liked a lot as well.

What I'm looking for is a good all around snare that's versatile enough to sit well in a day to day rock/pop setting, but can do jazz, R&B/Funk, country called for. I want something that can be tuned low and fat, but can also be cranked up when needed, but will spend most of it's time in a mid-tuned rang.

Thoughts?

-Tom

• Members

Hi - I own and play both - and would definitely recommend the Gretsch Maple Snare. Mine is Gretsch US Customs silver sparkle 14x5

I is the most versatile I have played: Pop, Funk, Rock, Jazz, loud, soft, very sensitive - much better than any supraphonic (one trick pony for loud rock and funk), regards Big D.

• Members

I is the most versatile I have played: Pop, Funk, Rock, Jazz, loud, soft, very sensitive - much better than any supraphonic (one trick pony for loud rock and funk), regards Big D.

How is the worlds most recorded snare drum (all genres of music) a one trick pony? How is wood louder than metal ? How is wood more sensitive than metal?

• Members

+1 on that. The supraphonic is without a doubt one of THE best snares ever made. Once the pinnacle of sound is reached, you can't improve on it, you can just add a different spice. Who ever said that Jamaican Jerk chicken is better than curried chicken. Still chicken, just different flavors. What makes any one spice better than the other? Just taste.

What I mean is that if your snare is a 10 out of 10 such as I believe the supra is, some might be different, but none better sounding.

I believe that a supra would be perfect for jazz, and has been used for decades in just that role. Maybe in a 5x14 configuration, not the 6.5x14, but again the sound you look for will be up to you. Dont listen to those who say that this or that snare is better. I personally wouldn't use a wood snare for jazz, but who the hell am I? NOBODY!!

I think that you cant go wrong with a supra. IMHO

• Members

If you can afford it, the solid shell Craviotto is wonderful for just about everything. I use a DW version of it and can't rave about it enough. The ply DW snares are not my favorite. GMS, Yamaha Maple absolute, and an old Premier Signia maple (this is a tremendously unnoticed amazing snare) are all better and more affordable options (IMHO).

• Members

If you can afford it, the solid shell Craviotto is wonderful for just about everything. I use a DW version of it and can't rave about it enough. The ply DW snares are not my favorite. GMS, Yamaha Maple absolute, and an old Premier Signia maple (this is a tremendously unnoticed amazing snare) are all better and more affordable options (IMHO).

sig1.jpg

I have to plug for Unix, Joshua tree percussion, Oregon drum and Global drum stave shelled snares.

Brady is another great choice for $$$

• Members

How is the
worlds most recorded snare drum (all genres of music)
a one trick pony? How is wood louder than metal ? How is wood more sensitive than metal?

Personal opinion and experience of 30 years as producer and drummer. I owned 5 or 6 Super Sensitives and Supraphonics (and recorded many more) and they all sound different. In fact EACH snaredrum sounds different - just to many things that make the sound. But for our friend here my advice is very clear: the Gretsch US Maple Custom is the most versatile and good sounding drum I ever came across. I wonder how naive people are in believing slogans like "the worlds most recorded snare drum"? And even if so, what would it mean? That it is good or just cheap enough so that everyone or every studio buys it? I really did not find any mystery and magic in my supraphonics and supra sensitives - at the end I sold them all... just not good enough. And if you aim to sound like "all the people who recorded with the most recorded snare drum in the world" you will definitely not develop your individual sound that differentiates you from others.

If you are talking about loudness this comes mainly from your power and the dimension not from the material. But with same dimensions and same power one material is definitely louder: rocket shell carbon snares.

• Members

Personal opinion and experience of 30 years as producer and drummer. I owned 5 or 6 Super Sensitives and Supraphonics (and recorded many more) and they all sound different. In fact EACH snaredrum sounds different - just to many things that make the sound. But for our friend here my advice is very clear: the Gretsch US Maple Custom is the most versatile and good sounding drum I ever came across. I wonder how naive people are in believing slogans like "the worlds most recorded snare drum"? And even if so, what would it mean? That it is good or just cheap enough so that everyone or every studio buys it? I really did not find any mystery and magic in my supraphonics and supra sensitives - at the end I sold them all... just not good enough. And if you aim to sound like "all the people who recorded with the most recorded snare drum in the world" you will definitely not develop your individual sound that differentiates you from others.

If you are talking about loudness this comes mainly from your power and the dimension not from the material. But with same dimensions and same power one material is definitely louder: rocket shell carbon snares.

Thats exactly the response I was hoping you'd give. I asked the questions that were inevitable, because of the supra-hype. I already knew the probable answer.

I play rocket CF and fiberglass as well. I like them better than other snares, especially the FG.

The supras have a gigantic following... however I have a cast steel snare, an aluminum and a walnut that don't leave me open to temptation any more.

• Members

Hi - I own and play both - and would definitely recommend the Gretsch Maple Snare. Mine is Gretsch US Customs silver sparkle 14x5

Do you find that the 5" depth still gives you enough bottom and tuning range?

• Members

Hey big daddy,

On one hand you say that each supraphonic and supersensitive is completely different sounding because of all the variables involved with recorded sound. Then in the next paragraph you say "if you want to sound like all those others who have recorded with the supra etc" , you are contradicting yourself by saying that they all sound different and unique yet if you use one , then you will sound like all the others. Make up your mind

And another thing, I mentioned before that I thought the supra was A top of the line snare, and that he wouldn't go wrong with one. I didn't say it was the ONLY top of the line snare. Or that any other snare wasn't good or recordable. I said that when you get into the upper end of snares , most all of them sound good. Its just that he wouldn't be dissappointed with a supra.

Most people have several snares for a variety of sound. I have 6 or 7 and I am sure you have more. It all boils down to taste. You stated supra's aren't for you and thats cool, but dont say they arent any good for recording as out of the MILLIONS of people who have used at least one on recordings, at least one of them had to be better than you. Thats a big swipe against alot of people.

• Members

Hey big daddy,

On one hand you say that each supraphonic and supersensitive is completely different sounding because of all the variables involved with recorded sound. Then in the next paragraph you say "if you want to sound like all those others who have recorded with the supra etc" , you are contradicting yourself by saying that they all sound different and unique yet if you use one , then you will sound like all the others. Make up your mind

And another thing, I mentioned before that I thought the supra was
A
top of the line snare, and that he wouldn't go wrong with one. I didn't say it was the
ONLY
top of the line snare. Or that any other snare wasn't good or recordable. I said that when you get into the upper end of snares , most all of them sound good. Its just that he wouldn't be dissappointed with a supra.

Most people have several snares for a variety of sound. I have 6 or 7 and I am sure you have more. It all boils down to taste. You stated supra's aren't for you and thats cool, but dont say they arent any good for recording as out of the MILLIONS of people who have used at least one on recordings, at least one of them had to be better than you. Thats a big swipe against alot of people.

Hi, thanks for the reply. It just reflects that snares are such a difficult thing to be discussed. As a producer I found that the snare sound is as important as the vocal sound and the most important sound to support the vocals to create a good energy level for a song in any kind of music - is it blues, jazz, nu metal whatever. So we are producers are even using different snare drums and mic techniques in one song for different parts and accents. But sticking to the original question I would still recommend the Gretsch Maple in the light of that you only have one option in terms of money etc... and gives you more quality and value for your money. And re: depth it depends on what sound you want, if you prefer power than deeper, if you prefer crisp and sensitivity than 5" is good.

• Members

Carbon fiber is so much better than DW. Not even in the same galaxy power-wise. The CF 6.5" destroys the dw in depth, volume and resonance. CF is over 6db louder with more dynamic range.

I absolutely agree! You cannot judge CF without ever having played one and tuned it correctly! If you are looking for awesome tone in LOUD you can even overrule a 14 x 6.5 normal metal with a 12"x5" or 13 in CF. The other advantage for me is: it weights 1/3 of my 14 "custom metal snare and gives me much more loudness so it is perfect for a live setup. But: I have not yet recorded it in the studio to compare it with my other hi end snares.

• Members

Well... the Gretsch arrived yesterday. Did a quick tune up and stuffed it in it's bag because my Son had a performance last night. I have to say... it sounded AMAZING! Definitely one of the best snares I've heard. For 5" it had a tone of punchy low mids. Very sensitive. Killer crack.

I feel I made the right choice. Next up addition will probably be a black beauty or possibly a smaller diameter "side" snare.

• Members

Carbon fiber is so much better than DW. Not even in the same galaxy power-wise. The CF 6.5" destroys the dw in depth, volume and resonance. CF is over 6db louder with more dynamic range.

:lol:

You know, you really should consider having your own drum show, kinda like with the O'Reilly Factor vibe.

• Members

:lol:

You know, you really should consider having your own drum show, kinda like with the O'Reilly Factor vibe.

I have had both, side by side. The maple isn't as loud or resonant. Anyone that has actually played them knows that. I don't need to defend the law of physics.

I am not denagrating the DW, but the damned thing isn't magic, like some insist. Use the DW ti or steel , and it will be louder than the CF or maple. Physics is not a right wing conspiracy.

I prefer my walnut snare to dw maple anyway.

• Members

Gah. The bad thing about coming to this forum is it reminds me that I really want one of these puppies:

402997.jpg

Ocheltree Heavy Metals Carbon Steel Snare Drum

For sure the next thing on my kit upgrade list. Boy does that list keep growing...

I plunked down $389 for a pearl cast steel...I forgot about the ocheltree, I would have gotten it instead, especially for my "Spirit of Bonzo" kit.

Archived