Some help with technique?

johnk1282

• Members

Hey I've been playing for a good year now and taking lessons alot and i've been doing all my rudiments as well as alot of coordination stuff and im not just talking rolls and stuff...

im learning the moeller method and i just cant get the motion down, everytime i start doing fast 16ths or 16th triplets i start to strain my muscles and tense up my fingers and grip. if anyone has any advice about how to learn it or practice it id be thankful. Also, that brings me to my grip.. i can do all my rolls and rudiments but i grip the stick pretty high up on my index finger which causes some pinching of the stick and doesnt let my fingers go to work really well but when i try to loosen my index finger and get the stick between the 1st and 2nd knuckle it feels out of control

any help is greatly appreciated i really dont know what im doing and all these stick control excersizes seem pointless if i cant get my basic technique down...

• Members

Patience. I've left old school finger control way behind in favor of more contemporary matched long grips. These have a distinct Moeller component but rely more on 'embouchure' than finger snapping. But the road to mastery is the same. Work slowly so you learn the actual motions involved. You speed up these motions so you retain as much efficiency as possible.

• Members

thanks

so are there specific excersizes that will help with these motions or is it all about just getting it eventually?

and i play a matched grip with the backs of my hands facing up its just the fingers that feel akward at times

• Members

Well, over gripping with your index finger can be a recipe for disaster re: bad technique and injury/overstrain. I know from experience. I've been retraining my grip for over a year with the help of JoJo Mayers DVD, which if I were you, I'd pick up right away. He explains all of the popular grips, (Moeller, etc.) in great detail.

In the meantime, I assume this over gripping/index finger thing is most prominent on your dominant hand. (not sure if you are playing matched or trad) Try leaving your index finger basically free and using your middle and ring fingers for the fulcrum point. This will result in a naturally looser grip and allow the stick to bounce more freely. It will feel sloppy for awhile, but with practice will feel natural. I've always noticed that guys using the Moeller correctly have the index finger fairly free of the stick, just apply it for control when needed. In addition it sounds like you may be playing too "palms up". If your hand is not in the correct position, techniques like the Moeller will not work and be frustrating.

I have found with the whipping motion, it helps for me to keep my wrists loose and to have the stick follow the motion. In other words, almost like my wrist is approaching the drum, then the hand, then the stick. For bigger hits, the arm, then the wrist, then the hand, then the stick. The dvd gives great slo-mo of this movement.

Because of years of abuse and overuse injuries, I have been dedicating much time to holding the stick as loosely as possible, without it falling out of my hand. For me, this has resulted in less fatigue, and better technique and playing. Less shock, much better rebound. When you are practicing, you should be hearing the wood of the stick "ring". If not, you are gripping too hard. Doesn't take much grip to hold on to the sticks. Listen for the "ring", if you don't hear it, stop, adjust your grip and start again. Don't keep playing with the tension. When you get this down, you'll be able to do this in real time when playing the kit without stopping.

Once again, I can't recommend the JoJo cd enough.

Patrick

• Members

Well, over gripping with your index finger can be a recipe for disaster re: bad technique and injury/overstrain. I know from experience. I've been retraining my grip for over a year with the help of JoJo Mayers DVD, which if I were you, I'd pick up right away. He explains all of the popular grips, (Moeller, etc.) in great detail.

In the meantime, I assume this over gripping/index finger thing is most prominent on your dominant hand. (not sure if you are playing matched or trad) Try leaving your index finger basically free and using your middle and ring fingers for the fulcrum point. This will result in a naturally looser grip and allow the stick to bounce more freely. It will feel sloppy for awhile, but with practice will feel natural. I've always noticed that guys using the Moeller correctly have the index finger fairly free of the stick, just apply it for control when needed. In addition it sounds like you may be playing too "palms up". If your hand is not in the correct position, techniques like the Moeller will not work and be frustrating.

I have found with the whipping motion, it helps for me to keep my wrists loose and to have the stick follow the motion. In other words, almost like my wrist is approaching the drum, then the hand, then the stick. For bigger hits, the arm, then the wrist, then the hand, then the stick. The dvd gives great slo-mo of this movement.

Because of years of abuse and overuse injuries, I have been dedicating much time to holding the stick as loosely as possible, without it falling out of my hand. For me, this has resulted in less fatigue, and better technique and playing. Less shock, much better rebound. When you are practicing, you should be hearing the wood of the stick "ring". If not, you are gripping too hard. Doesn't take much grip to hold on to the sticks. Listen for the "ring", if you don't hear it, stop, adjust your grip and start again. Don't keep playing with the tension. When you get this down, you'll be able to do this in real time when playing the kit without stopping.

Once again, I can't recommend the JoJo cd enough.

Patrick

Thanks bro, that dvd has actually been on my list of stuff to get for a while haha i need to pick it up.

Archived