Anyone use a practice pad frequently?

CraKaJaX

• Members

I'm thinking about buying one just to practice the basic rolls, rudiments, etc when I can't get to playing my kit for some reason. The big reason I can think of is school and late at night. I think it would help a bit if I had something to practice is while I was gone for 8 months of the year, or when I'm bored at 2 in the morning. Does anyone use one?

• Members

Yup, but I just use electronic drum pads turned off. It's nice to have practice pad as a full kit can be too tempting when you want to practice one really boring thing.

I agree, but I can't fit a drum kit in a dorm room.... unless I lose the bed.

• Members

I have a 12' VF and the DW practice pad kit. Don't use them as much as I should, but I notice that when I do... my chops are better.

I was just looking at the 12' VF pad. I think I'll grab it later this week. It will give me something to do while I'm surfing HC at 11:11 PM ;)

• Members

I use one almost every day. I do a lot of rudimental stuff so I'm always workin' on rolls and such. When I travel I take it and some sticks along. If I get a delay or have time I'll find a terminal without a lot of people and play.

I have a Promark XPAD. It's good. A little mushier than I'd like, but good. The cool thing about it is it sounds like a snare drum. There are others that do too.

Pads are great.

• Members

I'm on my practice pad more than I am my actual kit. I'm very much a rudimental drummer, though, and I have to focus on that stuff for marching band/drumline. I know for a fact that it has helped my kit playing immensely, though.

ALSO! Don't buy a Vic Firth practice pad. That's the one I have and it sucks compared to the Real Feel pads. They are about 10 bucks more expensive (last I checked...) but totally worth it. The Red Vater pads are probably your best bet, though. They have the most rebound and best overall feel and sound. I think they might actually be cheaper than the Real feels, too.

ALSO! Make sure you buy a pad that is double-sided. Don't buy one of those single sided pads. BOth the soft and hard side have good applications. The soft side builds technique while the hard side builds chops.

• Members

Is buying a pad that actually SOUNDS like a snare really worth it? If I wanted a snare sound, I would buy a snare... but I want a practice pad. I think the HQ RealFeel looks the best imo. 12', double-sided, and "Real Feel!"

I try to use one everyday.
:thu:

Care to say what you use?

• Members

I glued a 12"x1" slice of gum rubber to a 14" piece of pine.

Pretty slammin' imo.

I'd say pick up a copy of The All-American Drummer when you grab your pad. Will improve anyone's chops, regardless of skill level. You'll be amazed at what you do to your set when you come home from school.

• Members

I use a gladstone pad every day at my desk at work. Saves the finish and gives my hands some practice time between designs. I used to use (get this) a vintage set of Ralph Pace "Set The Pace" pads before I got the kit up and running...They've been a staple in my arsenal since the 70's...Still have them and they still work great...:thu:

• Members

Is buying a pad that actually SOUNDS like a snare really worth it? If I wanted a snare sound, I would buy a snare... but I want a practice pad. I think the HQ RealFeel looks the best imo. 12', double-sided, and "Real Feel!"

Care to say what you use?

I have the HQ double sided realfeel. Its awesome, it can take a real beating. I use it for practice at home for the ct hurcs. Its sick :)

• Members

I've got the same double sided. Never looked back. Very nice choice.

• Members

Yeah, don't even bother with the ones that sound like snares. yeah, they're kinda cool, but they aren't as practical. You can't go wrong with a Real Feel or a Vater practice pad. Again, be SURE that it is double sided.

• Members

I use a Remo in front of the bathroom mirror. It has helped me solve many an alignment problem, not the least of which is you have to be centered in the light or the shadows can misguide you. You'd be surprised how many timing and tonal issues are due simply to lazy or flat out misalignment.

• Members

I use a Remo in front of the bathroom mirror. It has helped me solve many an alignment problem, not the least of which is you have to be centered in the light or the shadows can misguide you. You'd be surprised how many timing and tonal issues are due simply to lazy or flat out misalignment.

:eek:

+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1000000000000000000000000000

one thing I ALWAYS preach is practicing in front of a mirror. It's like taking a free lesson. You get an outsider's view of what you are doing and you can easily fix it without having to pay $65 for 13 minutes of lessons.

• Members

:eek:

+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1000000000000000000000000000

one thing I ALWAYS preach is practicing in front of a mirror. It's like taking a free lesson. You get an outsider's view of what you are doing and you can easily fix it without having to pay $65 for 13 minutes of lessons.

I went out to Meijer and bought a 14" by 48" wall mirror for $5. Have it set up directly across the room from my drums, so I can watch everything I do. If it's on the pads or set.

Archived