Where to play

fenderplayer150

• Members

I keep my gig kit in the garage, packed up. Only comes out when I play out, which is once every week or two.

I keep the practice kit setup at the guitar players house in his studio (converted garage). It's sound proofed cuz we play pretty loud. It's audible outside, but not loud by any means and his neighbors don't complain.

If you have an underground basement, that will help keep sound from traveling. Try and soundproof as much as you can.

If you think it may bother neighbors, go talk to them up front and let them know you'll be practicing during certain hours and ask if they have any problems (sleeping children, etc). Best to address them up front versus waiting for them to call the police to take decibal readings.

• Members

I don't have a bed room, I have a studio with my bed and dresser in it. The former owner padded the cycling, and all of the walls with sound-proof foam, but he took the sound proof door with him, so I am about 75% sound proof. When I have a bunch of people over, we move it to the garage.

• Members

I had a 20x20 home studio room, just for music, but I had to give it up, it's being remodeled as we speak. So now I'm forced out to the laundry room, it's maybe at best 12x10, with a washer and dryer taking up some of that, but I face the drums into the corner and I have plenty of room to move around, but I don't set everything up just basic 4piece. I never play before 11am and not after 7pm, no complaints from the neighbors yet. The room is also well insulated with no windows, cuts it down a lot out side..

• Members

My house:

Saturn: Back center bedroom. Got some complaints a while ago, but called the neighbor's bluff on noise complaints, threatening back that I'll file a harassment charge against them if they refuse to sign the complaint next time.

Other kit's when I have them setup/home: Living Room - large open area. Drums sound PHENOMINAL...

Band Practice: Originally, at bass players house. Cops showed up once, we moved to rented storage space. A year later, we finally move into a climate-controlled space, then a week later, decide to move out because they require airflow between units, meaning you can also hear everyone else...sucked - now, we're back at bass player's house, with emphasis on playing quieter - no complaints yet.

• Members

24hr lock out, climate controlled studio, with lots of security. It's more expensive than keeping them at home, but I can play anytime day or night, and never get any noise complaints from the neighbors. As an added bonus the temperature is in the 60's/70's year round, so it cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

In the bedroom but yes noise... I'm looking for ways to make my kit quieter, I've put a newpaper on the snare which works for that but now I want to do the whole kit... including cymbals. Has anyone tried anything to dampen the sound of the heads and cymbals? I want to try a cheap creative method before forking out for rubber pads etc.

Cut up an old sweatshirt for the toms. It will seriously reduce the volume and not cost much.