Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What beginner drum set method book do you recommend?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What beginner drum set method book do you recommend?

Hi guys...

I need to find a couple of different beginner drum set methods to use for my beginner students. I teach only beginning drums and those students will later on be transferred to one of two other teachers.

I've been using excerpts from some of my personal drum books, but haven't really found a method that I like. Any good suggestions?
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

Originally Posted by Dew Knot Hump

I've said this before but **************** Musicians Friend in their stupid ****************ing faces.

Originally Posted by rickenvox

Realizing Ringo's talent is just a litmus test to identify musical idiots

Originally Posted by PFB

Ringo may have been the weakest link of the Beatles, but that's like being the worst president on Mt. Rushmore.

Anything on rudiments.

Comment

My drum teacher had two:

Alfred's Snare Drum Method
      Carmine Appice's Realistic Rock Drumming

We split time 50/50 between snare and set work for most of the four years I studied with him.
      Guitar Rig: Musicman Silhouette -> Cool Cat Transparent OD -> Fender Mustang I (Twin model)
      Drum Rig: Mapex Pro M's, Saluda Mists, Evans heads

Comment

My drum teacher had two:

We split time 50/50 between snare and set work for most of the four years I studied with him.

I think I have a copy of that Alfred book around my house somewhere. I'll check into the Carmine Appice book.

I've said this before but **************** Musicians Friend in their stupid ****************ing faces.

Originally Posted by PFB

Ringo may have been the weakest link of the Beatles, but that's like being the worst president on Mt. Rushmore.

Comment

When I get starter students at the college, that's what we use. Really good book, well structured.

/w
          Charter Member, Artistic Director: Mraia's Flaming Pedals of Doom Squadron, Double Bass Division.
          "I think you just called me immature. Well, for the record, I'm rubber and you're glue, and Ringo's the bomb, so kiss my hairy asterisk."

Comment

FWIW, my drum students start as young as 7, so if anyone knows any good children's methods, that would be great for them too.

Originally Posted by PFB

Comment

I think the Carmine book would be good. Can be used to help a kid learn to read, too... in conjunction with some reading-specific curricula.

/w
              Charter Member, Artistic Director: Mraia's Flaming Pedals of Doom Squadron, Double Bass Division.
              "I think you just called me immature. Well, for the record, I'm rubber and you're glue, and Ringo's the bomb, so kiss my hairy asterisk."

Comment

Stick control

Comment

My drum teacher had two:

Same here, very good I think
                  great googley moogley- Frank ZappaMissing the CHEESE And MarkoHit it!__________if you can't spot the crazy one on the bus, it's probably you..............Cdawg________Good Sellers/Marko46,lossforgain x2

Comment

I really hate the Appice book , I've inherited students who got it w/ their past instructor (kids version and reg version) , and I always ween them off of it quick as I can.
                    No sir , just don't like it.

Stick Control , and use the hidden exercises
                    My sig looks weird cause I'm old school.

www.slaphappydrums.etsy.com

You know you want to buy one of my drums

Wisdom is what's left after we've run out of personal opinions.
                    - Cullen Hightower

www.slaphappydrums.etsy.com

Comment

I think the Carmine book would be good. Can be used to help a kid learn to read, too... in conjunction with some reading-specific curricula.

/w

Awesome book for begginers. If they want to start "playing drums" asap it's the way to go. Some people want to be stimulated quickly and know they're progressing, rudiments on a snare and stick excersizes can bore them quickly. They'll be playing decent beats quickly with that book. I started out on it and i think it's a great way to start.

Comment

Roy Burns Method / Rudiment sheet

Stick Control after they've been playing for a while
                        The Southpaw is rising again!
                        I finally made it into the Flaming Pedals of Doom. That was the longest and toughest audition I ever had to endure!
                        Yep...Still the Director of the Geezer Guild for 2013...and counting

http://carminem7.wix.com/carminestrollo

Comment

I use the following books for beginning drumset students.

1. Drumset Musician by Rod Morgenstein/Rick Mattingly

This book takes the student through 1/4 note rhythms, 1/8 note rhythms, 16th note rhythms to 1/8 note triplet rhythms and fills. At the end of each section, the student learns to read and play a chart with the CD that's included. I feel if any student can get through this book, then they can handle almost anything and begin to play in a "rock" band with the exception of any double bass drumming.

2. Eighth Notes Around the Drums/Joel Rothman

I use this book for two main reasons. 1.) It's gets the student hitting other drums than just the snare and or bass. 2.) It builds confidence because it's fairly easy and I like to have my students taste success even if they might stuggle with the coordination aspects of the playing the rhythms from the book above. This book is mainly two columns on each page of one measure 1/8 note rhythms. Once the student can handle playing the music as written, then I have them play 3 measures of time(time= 1/8's on HH, 2 and 4 on SN and 1 and 3 on BD) and use each 1 figure as a one measure fill using each column. Then I have them play two measures of time and put the two columns together for a two measure fill. They do this exercise using the CD from the book above with a tune that's tempo is 70 bpm = 1/4 note.

3. Berklee Method/Drumset/ Casey Scheurell

This book teaches the student different styles of music from 1/8 note rock, 12/8 blues shuffle, double shuffle, 16th note funk, bossa nova and jazz. They learn to read a chart, play in time with the CD and learn styles that will come in handy when the hit the stage.

The Carmine Appice book Realistic Rock in my opinion is an intermediate book. I use it after some of the books above to teach and develop Bonham-like 16th note triplet bass drum figures.

Comment

Roy Burns Method / Rudiment sheet

Stick Control after they've been playing for a while

Lolz. I think the Burns book w/LP is the only drumset primer I've ever looked at. It did serve its purpose as I recall. I think the OP should confer with the other teachers and develop a seamless transition for his students.
                            Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

I used Stick Control and Syncopation to get started. I'm going to dig those out and start using them again, as it's been a long time, and I probably need it.
                              Pearl VSX in Strata White, Zildjian cymbals, Vater 5A's

Comment

Working...
                              X