Kelly Drum Shu

drmrboynandc

• Members

I have just purchased a composite drum shu for mounting a microphone in is my bass drum. Has anyone had any expierence with this product? I myself think its a great idea! Just wanted to see if you guys had anything on them?

I know I am going to mount a Sennhieser 902e bass drum mic in there as well! Will report back later.

http://www.kellyshu.com/

• Members

Looks like a neat little thing. You'll have to update on it when you get it all set up. I got some boom's and they are kinda a pain plus with that shu, you don't HAVE to have a port in the head it seems. Looks cool.

• Members

Looks like a bunch of stuff to go wrong? or is it just me. Anytime you put pressure on a drum shell it will change the sound, you dont have any holes to drill so that means the legs put pressure against the shell to hold it in place. Do update us when you get some mileage on her.....

• Members

Looks like a bunch of stuff to go wrong? or is it just me. Anytime you put pressure on a drum shell it will change the sound, you dont have any holes to drill so that means the legs put pressure against the shell to hold it in place. Do update us when you get some mileage on her.....

Those appear to be bungie cords....you pull a lug screw, and screw in one end, and then stretch it to the horseshoe piece.

Pretty inventive...Just make sure that mic is in there GOOOD if you don't use a ported head, otherwise, it'll suck and the mic may get damaged...not to mention the potential for a shell to get knarled up.

• Members

I have a ported front head. I am thinking that I toss a 10' mic cable in there and when shows come up just pull out the cable and hook up. I've gone through the contents of the package and the bungies are not at all strenious on the shells just there to let it float in the middle. Will update when all said and done.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I thought about getting one of these last year, or maybe the May system. But instead I just made my own.

I have a plate that it held into place by two lig screws. The side of the plate that touches the shell is rounded, and covered with a layer of felt, so it wont damage the drum.

A short 4" gooseneck hangs off the plat with a Shure Beta 52. I used a 2' mic cable to feed out the port in the front head, so now it's just plug in and play.

I think I may make more of these for my Toms, but I need to find the right mics to use first, and I know I will have to drill mic jacks into the shells. Not sure if I want to do that yet.

• Members

I thought about getting one of these last year, or maybe the May system. But instead I just made my own.

I have a plate that it held into place by two lig screws. The side of the plate that touches the shell is rounded, and covered with a layer of felt, so it wont damage the drum.

A short 4" gooseneck hangs off the plat with a Shure Beta 52. I used a 2' mic cable to feed out the port in the front head, so now it's just plug in and play.

I think I may make more of these for my Toms, but I need to find the right mics to use first, and I know I will have to drill mic jacks into the shells. Not sure if I want to do that yet.

You could take a cable, cut it and slip it through the air hole of the tom, then splice it back together on the inside of the shell. Then either wrap it in electrical tape or better, use shrink tubing, to cover the splice.

• Members

You could take a cable, cut it and slip it through the air hole of the tom, then splice it back together on the inside of the shell. Then either wrap it in electrical tape or better, use shrink tubing, to cover the splice.

I thought about that, but wouldent blocking the air vent damage the drum in the long run?

Archived