Levon Helm on Conan Tonight

ArtVandelay

• Members

I DVR'd that bad boy.

Levon is a deity for me. His style, his presence, his inimitable groove. He's not flashy or technical.. hell, some would even say he sucked on the drums, but he's the epitome of a master of his craft. I'm proud to say that he is a family friend.

• Members

I DVR'd that bad boy.

Levon is a deity for me. His style, his presence, his inimitable groove. He's not flashy or technical.. hell, some would even say he sucked on the drums, but he's the epitome of a master of his craft. I'm proud to say that he is a family friend.

+1000

I never tire of listening to Levon. What an amazing musician. I really enjoyed his work on Dirt Farmer.

Being a friend of the family, have you ever had the oportunity to sit and talk with him?

• Members

+1000

I never tire of listening to Levon. What an amazing musician. I really enjoyed his work on Dirt Farmer.

Being a friend of the family, have you ever had the oportunity to sit and talk with him?

Indeed I have. He's just as downhomegoodness as you'd think he'd be. His daughter and my wife kinda grew up together. . .wifey's father and uncle played w/ Levon even before the Band became the Band. He's a wonderfully giving man w/ the wisdom of the sage ages. And he's as funny as all get out.

If you ever have the chance to attend on of the Midnight Rambles he throw's at his place in Woodstock, I recommend you go. . . you'll have a GREAT time, and you'll get to see the master work his magic. It was one of the best experiences I've ever had in my life, right up there w/ my marriage and the birth of my son.

• Members

Just got around to watching it (DVR'ed it). He was solid. At one point, he dropped a stick, reached down to pick it up and came back in on the beat AND with the vocal right in time.

You never see ANY flash from the guy but he just plays what's right every freakin' time. It's uncanny.

• Members

Just got around to watching it (DVR'ed it). He was solid. At one point, he dropped a stick, reached down to pick it up and came back in on the beat AND with the vocal right in time.

You never see ANY flash from the guy but he just plays what's right every freakin' time. It's uncanny.

You should see him double drum w/ his nephew, Terry Cagle. Now THAT'S uncanny. . .same feel, same groove, same fills at the same time... hell, they even sing the same.

• Members

Indeed I have. He's just as downhomegoodness as you'd think he'd be. His daughter and my wife kinda grew up together. . .wifey's father and uncle played w/ Levon even before the Band became the Band. He's a wonderfully giving man w/ the wisdom of the sage ages. And he's as funny as all get out.

If you ever have the chance to attend on of the Midnight Rambles he throw's at his place in Woodstock, I recommend you go. . . you'll have a GREAT time, and you'll get to see the master work his magic. It was one of the best experiences I've ever had in my life, right up there w/ my marriage and the birth of my son.

Man do I envy you. What I wouldn't give to attend one of those. Levon is one of the reasons I ever decided to pick up sticks and hit stuff.

• Members

Just an update. . .

Went to catch my father-in-law's show last night (same casine we'd played the night before). He had Levon's nephew, the aforementioned Terry Cagle, playing w/ him.

We get to the show, sit down at the table, and I realize that I'm sittin' in between Terry and Levon's younger brother, Wheeler. Wheeler's vocal timbre is just like Levon's (as well as his skinny frame. . .you could poke him in the belly button and touch his spine). We talked about gigs and playing and such. . .Wheeler told me he'd heard us play before and really dug the sound.

It was a cool evening all around.

Archived