Cymbals that should never been made

BLS_1

• Members

Any of you ever go to a store and whack a cymbal and think "Who would want this pile?"

My most recent run in for this was the Joey Jordison cymbals. The china has to be hit with a baseball bat to get the full sound and everything else is just so thick and clunky.

• Members

Zildjian black, zbts have a little more life.

Same with the recent "black" trend.

I think Zildjian changed their stuff up because thier cymbals in general sound HORRIBLE compared to what I remember of the ones I had when I was in highschool. Same with Sabian, to be honest.

I think they both changed the formula. That or my ears got more picky, or, I as using really {censored}ty cymbals before then, and Zildjian/Sabian were a substantial upgrade.

I'm referring to Sabian AA and Zildjian A...

• Members

I was at GC the other night and tried out some of the Zildjian Black and told them to put them in the parkinglot and let the cars drive over them. They might sound good then

Haha. I bet they gave you a funny look.

I took an old no name ride in to GC a few years back to see what i'd get on a trade in. The guy said I'll give you $5 or we can go out back and play Frisbee. Well, frisbee it was.

B8 Pro's should be discontinued, It's pathetic when the B8's sound better than a higher grade of cymbals.

• Members

Anything with holes in them or those octagonally shaped things sabian used to make.

Sabian Rocktagons are awesome... a kick ass china/crash mix of sound... if they weren't so thin I'd still have one... I've busted 3 in the past 5 years and decided to finally switch off of them.

And the O Zone crashes are a more durable (I hope) version of that same sound, I have an 18" one on its way to me as I type :-)

Judge not if you haven't put them through their paces and really gave them a listen

• Members

I've heard some Zildjian A crashes that sounded HORRIBLE... like garbage can lids. Their QC used to suck horribly. You'd have to weed through 10 or 20 of the same exact model and size before you found one that sounded right. That's why I have sometimes questioned the practice of buying cymbals mail order without first listening to them.

Maybe their QC had gotten better in the last several years...

• Members

Sabian Rocktagons are awesome... a kick ass china/crash mix of sound... if they weren't so thin I'd still have one... I've busted 3 in the past 5 years and decided to finally switch off of them.

And the O Zone crashes are a more durable (I hope) version of that same sound, I have an 18" one on its way to me as I type :-)

Judge not if you haven't put them through their paces and really gave them a listen

+1 -- I have a friend who has several Roctagons and loves them. He even has a 22! One of only about 6 made, according to Sabian.

• Members

I've heard some Zildjian A crashes that sounded HORRIBLE... like garbage can lids. Their QC used to suck horribly. You'd have to weed through 10 or 20 of the same exact model and size before you found one that sounded right. That's why I have sometimes questioned the practice of buying cymbals mail order without first listening to them.

Maybe their QC had gotten better in the last several years...

I've noticed the same with zildjian cymbals. I was checking some out in GC once, and was dicking around with two identical 18'' zildjian z rock crashes.

One sounded horrible, and one sounded awesome. Quality control at its best! :thu:

• Members

zbt's, all the coated cymbals from whoever, that spring like ring thing made by Zildjian, (ridiculous), yes Camber, yes any drum manufacture should stay far away from the pie arena. I disagree with the Wuhan comment. If you have a good selection to hit and choose from, you can and do find some stellar gems. They are not consistent at all though, you have to investigate. Plus for the price, {censored}!

• Members

My votes would go to ( note I am only mentioning the professional line cymbals) :

Sabian - HH Leopard series crashes, chinas and hihats - I think the rides are valid useable cymbals.

Tony Verderosa VFX series cymbals - you know the ones with the purple lacquer finish.

Radia series

Zildjian - Bill Stewart K Custom Dry Complex rides the first editions absolutely awful sounding cymbals.

• Members

Sabian
- HH Leopard series crashes, chinas and hihats - I think the rides are valid useable cymbals.

+1 -- although the crashes and hats are pretty much gongs, the rides are cool. I have a first edition ride that my little brother just traded for. Great sounding cymbal.

• Members

B8 Pro's should be discontinued, It's pathetic when the B8's sound better than a higher grade of cymbals.

I have one of each; both 20" rides. The standard does have more shimmer and jazzes very comfortably. That one goes on the right. The Pro has less lathing and some light stamping and is basically pingier and louder. I place this one to my left. Good for a funkier band context - where unfortunately its cheap tone would really stand out. lolz.

I think if you just had the pros properly relathed, they'd sound a lot better.

• Members

I'll disagree with this statement to a point... the hats, crashes and rides sound like poo, yes. But... I LOVE and swear by my 18" and 20" B8 Pro Chinas, they rip... and they're durable as hell, took me about 12 years to break my first 20 incher, and I got it when I was still learning and beat the snot out of everything, that thing took it all and came back for more.

I'm also find of my 10" B8 Pro China Splash, it's not orgasmic sounding, but it sounds pretty damn good for the small price I paid for it.

Archived