Noob alert!

lawboy

• Members

Morning boys! I'm a guitar player by nature who is expanding his horizons. One of my new toys is a set of bongos (not sure of the brand name, but the logo is CP/LP). Any tips on tuning? There are four tuning nuts on each bongo. They sound kinda flat/dull in the center.

• Members

You guys stand, I'll set here waiting for a non-sarcastic remark. Oh, I have a phone, must suck to be you guys at times. :rolleyes:

Honestly, I have no idea how to tune Bongos. But tuning is tuning, (Right?). Back off the lugs a bit till finger tight on each and each has a "decipherable tone". Start coming up 1/4 to 1/2 turns in an + pattern, each time tuning each lug to the previous lug. When you get where you believe you like the tone of a given lug, even all the lugs out to match that note or tone. I would start with the high one first, then tune the lower one say a half to a whole step lower. They're probably LP's.

Respectful enough? (That was hard)

• Members

There's a lot of variability in the instruments, so--generalities.

Traditional tuning (as I learned it anyway) has the macho (smaller one) very high and the hembra (larger one) an octave below it.

The macho's head will sort of liven up when you reach a given high pitch. It seems to get more sensitive. Don't be afraid to tighten the head but do it very gradually and evenly, always adding only 1/4 turn at a time all the way around the drum.

Then if you want some bottom to the sound, tune the hembra an octave below, or if you'd like more cut to it, tune it a fourth, fifth, or third below.

Slappy is the expert here, so he'll probably have the best answer.

• Members

There's a lot of variability in the instruments, so--generalities.

Traditional tuning (as I learned it anyway) has the macho (smaller one)
very
high and the hembra (larger one) an octave below it.

The macho's head will sort of liven up when you reach a given high pitch. It seems to get more sensitive. Don't be afraid to tighten the head but do it very gradually and evenly, always adding only 1/4 turn at a time all the way around the drum.

Then if you want some bottom to the sound tune the hembra an octave below, or if you'd like more cut to it tune it a fourth, fifth, or third below.

Slappy is the expert here, so he'll probably have the best answer.

Yea I meant to mentiom Slap, he is the expert. But at least now I'm actually a hembra!

• Members

By the way, lawboy, if you make your thread title a little more explicit (like "how do I tune bongos?") you'd probably get more information from people who actually know what they're talking about, rather than from me and Marko.
:facepalm:

I know how people like to mess with noobs, so I thought it would get some attention.:poke:

Archived