drumkit care

dss715

• Members

Hey there..It's my 1st time to be in this forum...Just have a question for everyone ...Is it okay to store drumkits in a cold place.? like the shed?? I was a bit worried that it might affect or damage the kit???Can you give me any suggestions??

• Members

The way I see it, if its uncomfortable for me in the temperature, I assume its uncomfortable for the kit. (at least for the wood). I have seen kits stored in cold areas go slightly out of round, and I have seen other instruments such as guitars etc get bent necks in the cold, so thats the rule of thumb I use. I paid too much for them to be ruined by something I can control.

• Members

We (band) rented a storage unit to practice in. No heat, other than when we were there running a propane heater/burner. It'd get comfortable in there after about 30 minutes, at least, took the edge off.

I didn't have any problems...

That be said, there are way too many cheap kits that one could buy and not care less about getting beaten up in a non-climate controlled environment.

If I had a 5K DW kit, I wouldn't do it. With a sub-1K kit, sure.

• Members

Basically the kit will be fine with whatever climate it's in, hot and humid or cold and dry, just as long as the climate is consistent.

Around here temps vary from -25C in the winter to 35C in the summer. I keep my kit in the garage, but it's insulated, temp doesn't vary all that much. Humidity used to be a big problem but I bought a dehumidifier and that seems to work pretty well.

• Members

A 45 year old drumkit in off the show floor yesterday condition should not sleep in a shed with Rakes and Hoes.

Seriously, the cold, damp, heat, and humidity will damage your finish, your hardware, and your investment, and eventually your pride. And then, theres the rodents. ..... and the smell.

• Members

Wood will absorb moisture and when it dries out it will not return to the original form. Just because you can't tell with your eye doesn't mean that physical distortion is not present. Thus exposing your drums to humidity (cold or hot) is not a good idea. Also, different components will react differently in different temps. Drums made out of different types of wood that react at different rates or intensities to temperature would have a more severe consequence to temperature swings than a single type wood/material shell. Plus how the heads respond to colder temps and how that will affect the shell. Also, a wrapped finish in the hot summer sun all day can have negative effects.

Personally, I don't expose my good kit to extreme temperatures or humidity environments.

• Members

Now I don't get to say anything! :mad:

All the others speak truth. Don't store in the shed! keep indoors. Store in the closet, pile on top each other in the corner of the room and cover.

long exposure to heat/cold/dirt/wet/rapid temp. change a set etc. WILL effect the drums. Wood properties change, dirt builds and scratches, dampness builds rust on chrome, hot-cold cycles warps wood-condensation builds and forms mold. Treat it like you would a computer or TV and protect from the elements. Ever see and old mower or car that's been in storage for awhile?? They can happen to a set stored in a lawn shed for only a few weeks.

Archived