Resonant drum heads vs. regular

Virgman

• Members

None, if you're using 10 mil single ply heads as batters.

+1, except I think Evans uses a different, softer mylar on their labeled resonant heads.

I believe this due to putting an EC Reso (10mil) on the batter side of a tom to see what it sounds like, and it dented easier than I would have expected... easier than a G1 does.

• Members

reso heads are usually thinner, to let the drum resonate, since many drummers put thick durable heads for the batter side

They may be thinner if you're using 2-ply batters, or if you've chosen to use either a thicker than 10mil batter or a thinner than 10mil reso. By the way, assuming the same number of plies, thicker = more sustain, if that's what you mean by resonate.

To virgman:

90% of drummers use pretty much any clear single-ply 10mil head for a reso. Will work with any batter.

Some guys like to use a coated reso for a warmer, drier sound. Bonham was one.

Sometimes guys like to use a thinner reso such as a clear Diplomat (7mil) or Evans Resonant Glass (7.5mil) to brighten up the sound and shorten the sustain.

There are even more possibilities. The old-school trick for taming a floor tom with too much sustain used to be to put a 2-ply head on the bottom. Some guys like the fiberskyns top and bottom. Etc.

I've been fooling around with the Evans G-plus (a single-ply 12mil head) to equalize the sustain from the toms on my kid's set. Two toms are tuned highish and don't sustain as much as the rest with G1s. With the G-pluses on those two toms they're all about equal.

When in doubt, use a clear 10mil single-ply. Oh, and unless it's a high-end kit it probably came with {censored}ty resos. Replace 'em, they have a lot of impact on the sound.

Archived