Where did my skill go?

2xBass

• Members

Sorry if this has been posted before, but I could not find anything using the Search...anyway,

Two weeks ago, I was playing the best I ever had. I was able to play for hours without getting tired and my double-bass was fluid, smooth, controled, and fast (for me ;)). I was bored one day, and decided to vacuum my drum area and clean all by drums and whatnot...

...But, when I re-assembled my kit, I lost all my ability to play! :cry:

My hands would cramp druing every song, I was leaning backwards on my throne to try to stay balanced, I couldn't play double-bass at all, I was so frustrated...:mad:

...I figured it was just one bad practice, but it has been like this for the past weeks now, and I am getting really depressed. I know that I have only been playing for a short time, and I realize that it takes time to develop skill and speed. But it is frustrating knowing that for a while I did have both, and now can't find them.

Any suggestions to help a struggling drummer out?

• Members

Sometimes people just have on and off days.

I had an off day today. I tried to play a bunch of songs that I havn't in a long time, and all-though I new the parts, I just couldn't nail them.

That's why warming up is important. I didn't warm up today, and I know thats why I sucked.

When I am practicing at home, I take maybe 3 songs that are nice and easy and play those first. Then I am warmed up enough to be on my game.

The same applies why you are playing live or in the studio. Warm up for 15-20 min. first, before you jump into the game.

• Members

Sometimes people just have on and off days.

I had an off day today. I tried to play a bunch of songs that I havn't in a long time, and all-though I new the parts, I just couldn't nail them.

That's why warming up is important. I didn't warm up today, and I know thats why I sucked.

When I am practicing at home, I take maybe 3 songs that are nice and easy and play those first. Then I am warmed up enough to be on my game.

The same applies why you are playing live or in the studio. Warm up for 15-20 min. first, before you jump into the game.

+1

• Members

Remembering how you sit and position yourself from session to session is the hardest part of drumming, IMO.

Yep. It's like setting up your golf swing. You can be doing everything else right, if your setup is off, you'll have problems.

As others have said, I'd go back and re-assess your setup. Could be the slightest of things, just keep playing and notice where you tend to commonly have problems and adjust accordingly.

Archived