Setting Up Your Kick Pedal

turdadactyl

• Members

Ok, I know we've covered this before, because I think I started the thread, but the search function seems to be getting worse and worse, so here it is again.

Who has a method to their madness on setting up their kick pedals? Tell me what you've discovered as far as spring tension, beater distance from the head, pedalboard height, etc.

I've been working a lot on my feet recently. Things are going well, but I was in GC yesterday and realized my pedals don't feel nearly as fluid as the one I played in the store. Now, the answer is not to buy a new pedal. I have two great double pedals - one Iron Cobra chain drive and one Iron Cobra strap drive. I sat down at a kit at GC and the Pearl double pedal on the kit was like sliding down an icy mountain (in a good way). I was rolling off 16th note triplets and ruffs like Adler.

The obvious differences: 1) my kick is a 24 and the kick in the store was a 20. I have a 20 also, but I love that big 24 sound. 2) I have the stock Iron Cobra beaters on mine and the one in the store had a Pearl quad beater with the plastic side on the head.

I still think a lot of the difference has to do with the adjustment of the pedal. Let me know what has worked for the rest of you.

• Members

This is the pedal I use:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Pearl-P2002B-PowerShifter-Eliminator-Double-Pedal-Right?sku=448274

Pretty much the same as you played, only strap drive. I've owned IC's as I said before, and they're great pedals. I like the Eliminators a little bit more just because of what you said turd, it, they, do seem smoother and less effortless to me. I use the blue cam. I would think lowering the pedal board fairly flat, leaving enough angle for a decent rebound, and continuing the tension adjustments until you find your spot. Yes, it's a PITA, but the only way I know. I do know for a fact that there's a big difference in the feel of the two pedals. The IC's seem to have felt a bit bulkier if that makes any sense.

I also use DW SM105 Hardcore Beaters, not Pearls four sided beaters. I really like the DW beaters.

My double bass has made leaps in improvement recently, when at times I felt I was stalled. I can only attribute that to my comfortableness of the Eliminators for me, and, playing double rolls and fills w/ my feet much more often and now, for a longer time. I was a single pedal player in my previous life.

• Members

I've tried 'easy' setups but while they are very forgiving of left feetsez they tend to pigeonhole your musical range. I have my Intruders adjusted very close in parameters to a standard non adjustable Camco. This allows a natural swing, and feel AND dynamics over a wider range than say the old school light setup or the ... "and then you just trigger the kix" ... metal setup. The downside is it's like learning a musical instrument.

• Members

when i had the ic, i had the tension as tight as it could go and the beater angled about 40 deg. (more towards me) Lots of power and speed, but the ic's just felt sluggish for some reason to me.

I got a 5000 now set up about the same. A little less tension since the spring seems stronger on the dw.

Archived