Drummers with Back PAIN

sharkhamill

• Members

so i've totally quit playing for a year, maybe longer.

Just can't seem to stay in good Back Health...

As i've posted before, no particular injury caused my problems...

more just the fact that i never stretch and i've never done

a lot of abdominal work, ever. i've started now, at 32, but

it's slow going cuz, well, it still hurts...

Has anyone here ever hurt their back and gotten well

enough to get back on the kit???

• Members

Where is the actual pain and have you gone to a doc to get it looked at? Depending on what/where it is and the severity, they may prescribe physical therapy and give you exercises you can do to specifically treat/maintain your particular source of pain.

About 3+ years ago, I had to stop playing for over 6 months because I had a back issue that was causing numbness in my thigh. Through physical therapy, yoga/pilates exercises and losing some weight I've been able to manage it fairly well, though I have small bouts with it on occasion. Get yoself checked out and start maintaining it! It ain't gonna get better just postin about it!

• Members

Back injuries are tough. I've not ever had one, but I do deal with injured workers at my day job. Are you seeing a Physical Therapist? If you can, you should. Also, strengthening your abs will eventually make a HUGE difference. Stay away from sit-ups. Do crunches, hands across your chest, NOT behind your neck, you'll pull on your spine from the "pulling up on your head" motion. You should only come off the floor 3 to 4 inches and squeeze your abs the whole time- hard. Make them do the work. Go slow and good luck man. Hope you heal up soon. :wave:

• Members

I was diagnosed with degenerative disk disease...(damn, I nearly typed 'dick')...some time around 1992. The pain actually started about 5 years before that, but I managed to keep gigging fairly heavily until a heart attack and surgery took me out of action in '95. I didn't go back to playing drumset until late 2005. I now have essentially no L5/sacrum or L4/L5 disks, and every day is painful, but drumming doesn't seem to make it any worse than it would be without drumming. (Walking up and down stairs is a much bigger burden.) I don't do double-kick any more, and I only play as a "hobby," so there's no commitments to screw up, and I can stop if it hurts too much.

Really though, coming back to it after 10 years away was much more painful in the hands and wrists than the back, although I've learned to live with a certain amount of back pain. Everyone is different in terms of threshold and effects. I'd like to offer you encouragement to keep at it, or at least take up disciplines other than drumset, but only you know what's right or not for you.

• Members

I was diagnosed with degenerative disk disease...(damn, I nearly typed 'dick')...some time around 1992. The pain actually started about 5 years before that, but I managed to keep gigging fairly heavily until a heart attack and surgery took me out of action in '95. I didn't go back to playing drumset until late 2005. I now have essentially no L5/sacrum or L4/L5 disks, and every day is painful, but drumming doesn't seem to make it any worse than it would be without drumming. (Walking up and down stairs is a much bigger burden.) I don't do double-kick any more, and I only play as a "hobby," so there's no commitments to screw up, and I can stop if it hurts too much.

Really though, coming back to it after 10 years away was much more painful in the hands and wrists than the back, although I've learned to live with a certain amount of back pain. Everyone is different in terms of threshold and effects. I'd like to offer you encouragement to keep at it, or at least take up disciplines other than drumset, but only you know what's right or not for you.

I think most drummers can agree with Rumstik about living with a little back pain, but I don't know about the degenerative DICK disease. It would be tough, to get that diagnosis from the doc.:cry:

• Members

I think most drummers can agree with Rumstik about living with a little back pain....
:cry:

Some more than others probably. I'm a dork when i play, i

play very aggressively most of the time, throw my whole body

into it like an idiot. Can't help it. So that's a lot of my problem

right there. Never been one to sit still with good posture

on the drums.

• Members

Yeah, learning some economy of movement and posture certainly could help. Coming back to it after 10 years away, my style is much less "physical" now than it was back in my gigging days. But that's actually been a plus, both because it's easier on the body, and because it produces a better product. I still hit fairly hard when the dynamics call for it, but a lot less of the energy originates in the torso than before.

• Members

good advice, dude.

i've had a severe pain episode probably once a year

for the past 4 years now...and i just deal with stiff

back and a little pain here and there in between.

But after this last bout where i couldn't even walk cuz it

hurt so bad and I almost fell over, forget it...it's time

to get off my dumb ass and do something about it.

• Members

Yeah, learning some economy of movement and posture certainly could help. Coming back to it after 10 years away, my style is much less "physical" now than it was back in my gigging days. But that's actually been a plus, both because it's easier on the body, and because it produces a better product. I still hit fairly hard when the dynamics call for it, but a lot less of the energy originates in the torso than before.

Yep. I used to tense up and over-exert and it was detrimental to both my playing and my body. I went with lighter sticks and, incidentally, practicing/playing with a vocal mic in my face helped me settled down on the playing. Of course, a good quality throne, with backrest, is essential. Sometimes I just sit back and chill while gro0oving away. :thu:

• Members

I ALWAYS used cheap crappy thrones

or whatever was on sale for years. The budget

thrones with little to no cushion, because I was

too cheap to splurge on a "real" throne.

Those Pork Pie thrones always look cushy...Probably

way worth the money, ha!

Half of your trouble right there. X floor man, cracked a vertebra and flattened the disk around it. You can recover because I did.10 years after that raced motocross. Your core strength and your waist line-read big-have alot to do with it. Go slow on working your core, gut and back, till pain goes away. If pain is to intense go to the doctor.It's a long haul ,don't get impatient, but don't quit either.:thu:

• Members

Dayumm Rumstick! Purple Heart for you man.

B. O. T.

Hows your physique? I've found that a big gut and/or full bowels can cause severe spinal compression.

You had to ask that, didn't you?

I hate when people go on about their health issues, but just to extend the story....

A few months after having bypass surgery, (and the subsequent Percodan withdrawal), I started getting some odd symptoms...rapid weight loss, weird itching, sweating, erratic emotional spikes, bulging eyes, and more. Thyroid. Hyperthyroid. So they nuked the gland to a hypo-productive state, and betstowed upon me a sluggish metabolism for life. So, in short, I'm not quite obese, but I'm heavier than would be ideal given the spinal condition, and losing it is difficult to say the least.

I'm 5' 10". Was 190-ish when I had the heart attack, 150-ish when thyroid was nuked, and about 215 now.

• Members

I had a back injury that kept me out for nearly ten years. I had to rebuild my musculature over many years. Core strength training, bends twists, lifts sit up ups are all the basics. But see a physical therapist that specializes in "Core Conditioning". It will make a difference in your life for the rest of your lifetime.

• Members

DITTO to all of the above, I just went through the exact same thing myself recently. Two key things that I can personally reinforce from afore mentioned comments

1 lose some weight around the mid section that is a HUGE factor

2 core strenghtening is crucial

Don't get down about it your state of mind means alot and it WILL subside:thu:

• Members

Half of your trouble right there. X floor man, cracked a vertebra and flattened the disk around it. You can recover because I did.10 years after that raced motocross. Your core strength and your waist line-read big-have alot to do with it. Go slow on working your core, gut and back, till pain goes away. If pain is to intense go to the doctor.It's a long haul ,don't get impatient, but don't quit either.
:thu:

appreciate the advice guys, bigtime!

I'll shut up and stop whining about it. I'm

doing something about it, now!

Archived