Question! :]

xCaiusx

• Members

So I've been drumming for about three years now. I didn't play to much in the first year and a half. I am now way more dedicated. I practice with a met everyday, around 1-2 hours usually, sometimes more.

But yet I still cannot single stroke across a kit. I march tenors at my school, and I am getting completely stressed.

I have a very steady single stroke, but I just CANNOT move it across my kit. I don't know what the problem is.

Anyone have any good exercises to help? (other then just 16ths on a hand 8's etc ).

• Members

My single stroke practice most days consists of moving around the kit, starting off slowly and eventually speeding up to the point of break. I start on the snare for a a couple of bars then move around going snare, tom 1, tom 2, floor tom (all in one bar playing sixteenth notes) for a few bars till it feels comfortable, then i do the same thing but backwards, floor tom, tom 2, tom 1, snare (same thing till it feels comfortable) then do some further moving around by playing snare, tom 1, snare, tom 2, snare, floor tom, floor tom, tom 2, floor tom, tom 1, floor tom, snare.

I don't really know how to explain it better but i've been doing that for a while and it really has helped me a lot!

• Members

You wanna get around the drums smoothly you gotta get at the root. Moving drum to drum.

Go around all the drums in quarter notes and half notes. Hit a drum then lift in a smooth arc to the next drum and so on. HANDS SEPARATELY. This is crucial. You need to really find out how your hands and arms are getting around.

Start at quarter = 60 BPM and work for dead, even; rhythm , tone and dynamics. Forget all the blazing fills. This is about real control - and the only way I know to get there.

• Members

^ What he said. Around my 3rd lesson or so my teacher made me do it similar. Start out with 8th's or 16th's, do them VERY slow, moving all around the kit. Gradually increase the speed. When you hit a bump, start over, repeat. Count while you do it. If you're hitting a wall go have a smoke or some {censored}. Or just wait until tommorow. You'd be amazed what taking a day off can do.

Archived