NEW MEMBER INTRODUCTION THREAD!

marko46

• Members

So it appears, to me at least, that there are several NEW or FAIRLY NEW members here. I'm curious to learn about everyone and figure others are also. Are you a new player? Do you gig? If so, what kinda music do you play? How long have ya been playing? And so on.
I just think it's interesting to learn everyone's background.

Well, who's going 1st?

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My best friend was a regular poster over in the guitar forums until he passed away in March 2003. I signed up a few days later, sort of as a tribute to him, but didn't actually start posting until very recently.

I'm a funeral director/embalmer by trade but musician by nature, in my mid-30s here in the suburbs of central NJ. I started out on saxophone when I was about 9, guitar when I was about 11, drums at 12, bass at 13, vocals around 20, mandolin at 30 and ukulele at 32. I also dabble a bit on keyboard, harmonica (harp) and various types of recorders. I play drums and do some vocals for the band that I've been in for the last five years, doing mostly classic rock covers for the central NJ bar scene. It's a very comfortable situation because there aren't any "rock stars" in the group, just a bunch of guys playing mostly for pleasure, a few bucks, a few drinks and an opportunity to get out of the house for the night.

• Members

good idea.

i've been playing on and off for about 25 years, play some bass, too. i'm gigging with an original heavy metal band (think clutch/maiden/sabbath.) i play a yamaha power v (i know, i know. but it sounds good and i love it.) and a gretsch cat club mod. now that i know how crappy this kit is, i'm putting together a "new" vintage rogers kit, one piece at a time! i came here to get some questions answered about drum building, and other drum crap. good to read others are as crazy about gear as i am. too bad most can't afford it, like me!

that's about it.

• Members

Hi, I'm John, I've been playing for about 4 years (seriously) and just messing around a bit before that (non-seriously) I play Psycodelic Classic Rock (Floyd, Dire Straits, Rush, some times a bit of Nirvana) I play a modified Ludwig Accent with ZBT/ZHT/B8 cymbals Right now it's set up as a massive set (combined with the Remo Acousticon set I just bought)

• Members

howdy. new over here, but not new to HC (obviously). mostly posted over in EG for a while, cuz i'd gone on a no-drummin sabbatical and started focusing on guitar; then wound up addicted to that place. but i started back on the kit this year and thus ... my guitar interest has waned a bit and i'm back in full-on drummer mode.

so ... quick rundown. almost 32 years old, started playin drums when i was 16 when some friends put together a band, needed a drummer and asked me to learn to play so i could be in the band. and the rest is kinda history!

played damn near every style of rock/blues/country there is over the years. just picked up my first gig in a while with los angeles' own "the cheatin kind." good ol down-n-dirty honky tonk with a punk rock edge. damn fun gig and lots of shows coming up.

my kit is a custom ray ayotte-era ayotte built in 1999 and your basic DW 5x14 collectors snare; all DW hardware (the stuff is indestructible - i've had some of these pieces for 10 years and they've been thrown around in cars, venues, parking lots, the desert, etc - and still hangin in there!) including my beloved 9000 series double pedal. dig paiste cymbals (RUDEs at the moment with the exception of my paiste signature ride) and vic firth sticks of varying sizes; usually either the danny carey sigs or extreme 5bs.

my dayjob is that of a freelance interactive developer - basically, a big computer nerd. i live and work in a lil house in hollywood with my rottweiler, les, while we're waitin for my fiance to finish school in vegas and move out here with us. i enjoy beer, harleys, gettin tattooed, gambling, punk rock, country music, french food, high fashion accessories and a good hat.

here's me and the fiance:
n524303868_1599858_1859737.jpg

and here's our lil boy:
1245815316.jpg

• Members

Am I new? Not much of a poster, but joined a while ago. So here it goes...

When I was around 9-10 years old my parents got divorced and long story short, my mom got custody. We moved into a new neighborhood in NY where I met these kids who were brothers that lived across the street. One of them was a drummer with a band. I used to go out into the street and dance while they jammed in the garage. I eventually became best friends with them and was invited to the jam. I wasn't playing at the time, but that's what got me into it.

In the third grade, I was diagnosed with Lyme disease. No doctor in the area knew what to do to treat it, so after bullshitting around for a couple of months, we finally found a place about an hour away. Apparently it was so bad, I was close to dying. I had to go for about an 8" needle in the thigh twice a week for many months. My third grade year was spent being home schooled because I wasn't allowed in school. Friends in the neighborhood would pack into my house after school to come see me and play video games or whatever. And then one day, Jimmi (one of the brothers across the street) told me that he was getting rid of his kit. I mentioned it to my mom, and we ended up snagging it for $200. I did have a TINY ass kit that we got from Sear's a while before this... but that was far from a kit. This kit was so fucking huge at the time, I barely could reach all the toms. To this day I have NO idea what kind of kit it was. It was 3 rack toms and one floor. Pretty fucking big for a kid who was about 9 years old. Regardless, we got the kit and it was set up in our garage. I absolutely loved it. Jimmi and I started jamming at my place, he'd show me different licks and songs -- back then Green Day's Dookie was THE album... so that's what I started on. I believe it went like this: When I Come Around, to Brian Adam's - Summer of 69, to even things like Young Rascal's - Good Lovin'. I would sit in the garage all day and play since I had nothing better to do. It was one thing that actually "got me away." And that's basically it.... the rest is history.

I'm currently 22 years old living in NY, working at Levon Helm's studio in Woodstock during the week. One more year of school until I have my BS in Electrical Engineering with a concentration in Recording Engineering. I still get some side effects from the lyme, but far, far less than what it was. It was basically living in hell (on top of the divorced parent thing.) All that is cleared and life is good! I'm playing a Pearl Sessions 12,14,16,22 kit with 2000 series hardware, 10" AAX splash, 16" AAXplosion Crash, 18 & 20" AA Medium Crash, 21" AA Rock ride, and an 18" AAXplosion China. Oh, I can't forget the 14" AAX Studio hats. smile.gif

Hope I didn't ramble too much.

That's my story.

• Members

Im 14 facepalm.gif been playing 3 1/2 years, only time i 'gig' on a set is highschool band stuff.......im mainly a guitarist, and play real gigs on guitar and make a lil money....my kit is a Ludwig Accent (about to install ISS/ suspension mounts) Zildjian A 20" ping ride, Paiste old Alpha 18" crash, Sabian 14" AAX dark crash, junk cymbals horse.gif (zbt hats zxt china). Trading for some nice pies tomorrow?idea.giflove.gif
Im not a typical doubleharcorefreakingbass 14 yr old....id rather hear a nice funk or blues bandthumb.gif

• Members

This is good stuff guys. Thanks! drummer_bum- post man.

Quote Originally Posted by boxofrocks View Post
Hi,
My name is Simon.
I play drums, bass, and guitar.
I like long walks on the beach, chain smoking, and beer.
My bass drum is bigger than yours.
;-)
Wow! I had no idea Simon you were so............ sensitive. I particularly like the chain smoking part.icon_lol.gif

Quote Originally Posted by djphonics View Post
If I registered in say...2001...does that make me new here? biggrin.gif
No dj, but it does make you slow.rolleyes.gif

Quote Originally Posted by WhiplashBand View Post

smile.gifwave.gif
That was good Mike!

1001, I ain't goin' there. But thanks for sharing.poke.gif

• Members

The names Jerome, but I go by J.J. I started playing drums about ten years ago in school band, I moved the next year and quit playing. In the ten years it took me to actually buy a decent kit I would play around friends kits, or whatever piece of junk I could afford. I would describe my skills as intermediate. I also have bad grammer skills, so take it easy on me if you could.

• Members

Hello, my name is Grant and I'm addicted to drums.

I'm 40 this year and have been drumming since I was 15. Air drum and practice pad since i was 12. Mostly self taught with a few lessons.

I started out taking guitar lessons when I was 5 and then again when I was 8 but it never stuck. I first remember Peter Chris in Kiss during the 70's but was the heyday of classic rock that drew me into drums. AC DC, Rush, Journey, Rush, etc. I stole my sister's sticks who was in school band and started air drumming which led to practice pad. Around 84' or 85' I took one or two lessons and got my first set, a B line Pearl much like a CB 700.

I have played a few club dates, company picnics, yard parties, and dances. Lately over the years I have played for some churches. Mostly is a hobby now as I work evenings at the prison. I am also a scuba diver and ride a motorcycle so I have picked expensive hobbies so is hard to have big money for it all. Currently have a 7-piece Yamaha Stage Custom with a 70's Acrolite snare as well as my Steel snare.

I remember when Elvis died on my sis's b-day, I saw the first space shuttle lauch, I remember when MTV first came on and the 15 min. epic "Thiller" would play every two hours. I remember when MTV would play real videos all day, everyday. I welcome all newcomers and glad you all are here!!! I believe we can all learn new things and from one another! Welcome one and all!

• Members

hey guys,my name is john,been playing drums for about a year and a half,played guitar for 20 years or more,i had a 18 hour brain surgery in 2007 which left the dexterity in my left hand jacked up so i picked up a kit off of CL and havent looked back since. now my left hand flow is starting to improve so my guitar playing is picking back up,{censored}IN A !
hobbies other than music :
self abuse,which i have fun with
stock trades
being i'm in the media,photography
i'm with you on the smokes simon !

Archived