anyone know anything about "Purecussion"?

linqua

• Members

hello all. im a guitarist/ex drummer looking to get back into drumming. one of the reasons i stopped is because most people in my house dont really appreciate loud noises like they used to. that and tbh i kinda dont feel comfortable playing in my house/around my family for some reason. anyway, i thought itd be a good idea to try to get some electronic drums to practice semi quietly with headphones on. i got the idea at my grandpas house the other day. my grandpa is deceased and his old Purecussion rims/rototom/whatever set has been sitting underneath the stairs at my grandmas for years. shes mentioned about wanting to sell them before, and i was walking in my basement looking at my tama set that i never get to play, and it just hit me. i could sell the purecussion set and use the money to buy electronic drums. i already have a tama rockstar set left to me by my grandpa as i just mentioned and i love it, the purecussion set has just been chillling in bags under the stairs. i asked my dad and grandma since theyre not 100% mine, if we could sell them and put the money toward electronic drums for Christmas and they were both for it so i was very happy about that. the problem is, after a bunch of searching, i cant find ANYTHING on this brand or how much these drums would be worth. there are no posts on craiglist, ebay, or even on the drum forums here. theres barely anything on google about them. so i just like, dont know what to sell them for, or if anyone even knows about them to want to buy them. can anyone provide any info? (cmon i need to build a circular set with these like neil! :p)

hows that for a first post lol sorry for the wall

• Members

The name purecussion rarely crosses my mind although I must admit there was a time back there when I was drumless and shopping and I thought well maybe theezudB ok but frankly even though I can't recall why, I never got around to looking into the matter seriously but I seem to have real drums now so I know for sure I passed on the notion. I don't mean to imply Purecussions are worthless au contraire I'm posting to introduce the possibility they might have more value than might be wise to part with and I don't think you'd get very much for them and certainly not what they're worth. Why do you want a big drumkit?

• Members

If your objective is to minimize the noise level of playing drums at home, then you should just use the PureCussion kit. I've heard these being played a few times, and they sound nice, but the volume is way softer than a regular kit, which is the whole idea behind it.

Maybe?

• Members

Purecussion was a cool little company. In addition to the shell-less headset drumsets, they basically were the inventors of RIMs style tom mounts. They later sold the lisence to DW, I believe. In fact my Tama Rockstars from the early 90's didn't have suspension mounts and I picked RIMS mounts for them and 2 are Purecussion brand and 2 are DW. I also have a Purecussion drum throne believe it or not.

I'd hang onto the kit at your grandma's. It's not worth much used, but could come in handy someday. Guys who play in the subway and streets love 'em because they're so easy to haul and set up. Might come in handy someday when you've got to rehearse in a small space, or need something to play and then stash.

• Members

yea ive been thinking about it and nearly all those crossed my mind. they might not be worth much because theyre discontinued, but theres a possibility they could also go for more if i find the right person because theyre so rare. but i also thought that maybe i shouldnt sell them because they are rare/were my grandpas and everything and are kind of a gem i guess. but idk, i might do some looking around and see what i can get, and if i get lucky and can come pretty close at least to a straight swap for enough to buy an electronic kit, i might just go with it. i did want to use them for recording demos, playing softer with headphones, jamming(sometimes, theyd be easy to stash too) and whatever else. then just because im a fanboy for kicks id put them behind my tama and make a circle like neil peart/mike portnoy lol itd be fun to mess around with especially with the array of sounds i could make with them.

• Members

there are/were three different Purecussion RIMS "head sets".

1) nontuneable PTS (pretuned heads)

2) tuneable PTS

3) NE they could use any standard head, and were tuneable

What one do you have? how many pieces? what sizes? and what heads? Chrome or black RIMS?

Haug+2010+002.jpg

• Members

umm i think the rims are black, and tunable but im not sure. i wish i could look but im not at my house and wont be till tomorrow. and really there were only 3 models? i think my grandpa got them for like 500$ at the time and they even have the bass drum head that says purecussion on it lol. im almost sure the rims are black tho. and the reason i think theyre tunable is i think he put his own heads on them and he has dampers on them, some heads are clear and some are white i think.

• Members

Please do me a favor. Before you sell the Purecussion kit, set it up, tune it and then play it for an extended period. I'd be willing to be that after doing that, you'll want to keep them.

If not, shoot me a PM, and I may want to take them off your hands!

:thu:

• Members

ok going off a picture i have of my grandpa playing them, i think they are the ones that can use any head, and they are tunable. theyre black rims, but also have a metal ring in them, so it looks like the rims are made of 3 pieces or something. idk what sizes they are, and idk when ill be able to go and actually look at and measure them.

• Members

umm i think the rims are black, and tunable but im not sure. i wish i could look but im not at my house and wont be till tomorrow. and really there were only 3 models? i think my grandpa got them for like 500$ at the time and they even have the bass drum head that says purecussion on it lol. im almost sure the rims are black tho. and the reason i think theyre tunable is i think he put his own heads on them and he has dampers on them, some heads are clear and some are white i think.

Yes.. thanks for reminding me there was one more "model". Available in the NE kits was an option for a 2 headed Bass unit. Do post pics when You can. I am an enthusist of the tuneable models and If you would like to let them go I would give them a good home. I'll make you a fair offer!

H

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

Yes, I know about Purecussion (Rims) drums. I own 3 sets of them. If you need parts, go to Gauger Percussion in Minnesota. You can find them on the internet. I found my first set at Drums & Moore in Madison, WI.. The next 2 sets I bought off EBay. I never paid more than $300 for any of them. I love em'. I use hydraulic heads which gives them the body they need without the shells. They're really fun because you can whack the devil out of them without fear of overpowering the band. I've backed 18 piece bands with them and they're plenty powerful when you want them to be. I try to play musically, so I've tuned them to a Bb major chord. That's the favorite key for trumpets/clarinets and most dixieland tunes. Every now and then the bass players will complain that I'm stealing their "licks". I love it.

• 9 years later...
10 minutes ago, jsday2 said:

Linqua I want to buy that purecussion drum set from under the stairs. Please respond. Thank you.

First of all, welcome to Harmony Central. :)

Unfortunately, I have to say that you shouldn't be expecting to see a response to this - his post is nearly ten years old, and it's been some time since he's logged on to the site. There's a very good chance he'll never see your request. 

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

Hello. I have a Gaugher Purecussion RIMS kit that was bought in 79. Has all the original heads (still sound great!) but needs a PTS bass head (20"). Its in very good shape and is complete including the bag it came with. Was wondering about the value and if anyone would be interested in checking it out.

1 hour ago, CatmanCopy70 said:

Hello. I have a Gaugher Purecussion RIMS kit that was bought in 79. Has all the original heads (still sound great!) but needs a PTS bass head (20"). Its in very good shape and is complete including the bag it came with. Was wondering about the value and if anyone would be interested in checking it out.

Welcome to HC!  :welcome:

I have no idea what your kit is currently worth. Gauger is still in business, and they may be able to give you an idea, so you might want to contact them.

If you do decide you want to sell it, you should post it in the For Sale Section of our Drums Classifieds

www.gaugerpercussion.com

Archived