Used Drums: Is this a good deal?

6mmSid

• Members

I'm shopping for my first acoustic kit, and after doing lots of reading/searching here, I've decided to buy used and try to get good cymbals that will keep me happy for a long time. Excluding the Zildjian A Customs, just the cymbals would cost $900+ at GC, so I figure I'm down around 50% of new value for this whole kit. I checked out the cymbals at a couple GC's, and they're a HUGE step up from the ZBT's I was initially considering.

So is this a reasonable deal? Also, when people refer to "cracked cymbals", are they referring to obvious cracks, or something you need a magnifying class to see? I want to play all kinds of rock, but lean towards the hard side - Zeppelin, Sabbath, Metallica, etc. Thanks!

Sid

Used but in good condition , 6 piece Black Pearl Export Series drum kit. The kit is about 6 years old. I put Evan coated Ambassador heads on all heads and clear on the bottoms about 6 months ago. I am a college student that just doesn't have enough time to play right now, I would like to get 650$obo. This set might be used but it sounds great, I get a lot of compliments on how well they sound. Please contact me if you might be interested. I also purchased a pair of Zildjian A Custom mastersound hi hats a few months ago that are in almost perfect condition, just need to be polished from finger prints. I would be willing to sell them seperately for 200$ or with the kit for 150$.

Pearl Free Floating 6-Ply Maple Snare Drum added less than a year ago(300$).

New DW 7000 Bass drum pedal

LP Cowbell and LP block w/ holder

Wuhan China cymbal

Wuhan 12" splash

Sabian 18" HHX Evolution crash

Sabian 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride

Sabian 14" AA rock sizzle hi hats

Zildjian 14" A Custom Mastersound hi hats(200$ seperately or 150$ with kit.)

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

3n33k93l75Y05X35R4b1jd1ccdc855d561483.jp3n53kb3lf5Q55T45P6b1j4d44577b2a9517c8.jp3mf3ob3le5Y55U35R0b1j360c456e8f361047.jp3nc3of3ld5Y35V45X6b1jc07d5b12e60316c0.jp

• Members

That's not a six piece, five is what I count. Also, is the Yammie snare included in the price? He listed it, pedal and cymbals. I guess after reading it again, he's talking shells only. Plus, what 1K1 said on cracked cymbals. Basically, it's damaged goods man. Also, $650. seems a bit high to me man for used Exports. You can do way better right now on a better used kit for that $. As far as avoiding cracked cymbals, ask for good, close up pics and examine them. Best way obviously is have them in your hands Bro.

• Members

There's no mention of these cymbals being cracked, I just need to know how to avoid them. Thanks.

Sid

Do not buy cracked cymbals sight unseen. If you have the chance to thoroughly examine any, do so. Then don't buy them either. Otherwise 5 or 10 bucks apiece for playable ones is fair.

• Members

Ha. Cracks can happen radially - edge inward or concentrically, usually at the base of the bell. Keyholing is another sign to look out for. This happens when a cymbal - usually large ride cymbals are placed on a stand with a bare cymball screw thing. The screw can cut a swath a half inch or more into the bell. These are all easy to spot although the onset of the first two may be invisible. You may also be able to detect small cracks by ear.

Keyholed cymbals may be playable albeit with possible diminished tonal quality. The cracked variety will just degrade into scrap metal.

• Members

The way I read it, it includes everything except the extra Zildjian hi hats. I don't know why he called it a 6-piece, but I count 5, too. ASSuming :lol: I'm correct, and the cymbals are included and in good shape, it's a reasonable deal, right? Thanks.

Sid

• Members

No, I was referring to these costing $900 new:

Wuhan China cymbal

Wuhan 12" splash

Sabian 18" HHX Evolution crash

Sabian 21" AA Raw Bell Dry Ride

Sabian 14" AA rock sizzle hi hats

The way I read the ad, they're included in the $650 package price. He wants an extra $150 for the Custom A hi-hats if you buy them with the set.... Thanks.

Sid

OT for this particular deal, but you were talking about your Custom As costing $900.

Would this work for you?

• Members

I think it sounds kinda average. I just got a full Stage Custom Yammie kit (snare, kit 2 racks and a floor) with 8 Sabian Xs cymbals, pearl eliminator double pedal, all hardware, throne, all for 450.00. People are selling things off at unbelievable prices now cause money is tight and the extra music gear is always the first things to go... I just saw a full Pearl kit go for 260.00 on one auction site. I think this is a meh deal and you can do better...

• Members

Thanks, guys. What auction sites are there other than eBay? If anyone wants to cruise Chicago CL and point out an opportunity, it would be much appreciated.

Sid

I agree with Carmine.There are some great deals to be had,shop hard

• Members

Thanks, stix. I'm checking them out right now, and the prices seem quite reasonable. Good tip!

Sid

Hey 6mm, if you are looking in the Chicagoland area, check out Music-Go-Round. Orland Park or Kenosha Wi. Last Summer I picked up a beautiful 6 pc. Pearl Export set of shells for $450. They looked brand new.

Archived