Axis pedal parts and Yamaha e-cymbal parts

Zeromus-X

• Members

At practice the other day, I discovered that the screw which holds the beater at the desired height on my Axis A Longboard pedal was missing. It's probably sitting on a bar floor somewhere, never to be found again. I tried matching up the screws on the bottom of my cymbal stand legs but the threads didn't match and I didn't want to try too hard and {censored} up the threading.

I have a gig tomorrow night and need the pedal operational. Any ideas where I can get a replacement? None of the music stores carry this part apparently, which kinda seems absurd to me.

Also on the ridiculous note, I use a Yamaha DTXTREME III kit. The e-cymbals all have this little black L-shaped rod that holds them in place from rotating and pulling the cables out. None of the local music stores stock this item, either, and I'm one short. Any suggestions on where to get one or any other way to stop the cymbals from rotating?

• Members

That's a hex socket screw, isn't it? Try a hardware store instead of a music store.

There should be a supplier of threaded hardware somewhere in the Norfolk/Suffolk area that would have such a screw if it can't be found at one of the big stores like Home Depot or Lowe's.

• Members

None of the music stores carry this part apparently, which kinda seems absurd to me.

Yes, SO absurd that music stores don't carry a tiny random replacement part on a niche company pedal that sells to 1 out of (maybe) every 500 drummers...:facepalm:

Do you have any idea how many years it took of the DW 5000 pedals being one of the best sellers, year in and year out, before stores started stocking replacement parts on a regular basis?

Supply & demand run against cost of keeping inventory in stock.

Real simple equation if you understand business.

Lesson?

1) Look at all your gear, and think about how common, and especially how uncommon it is.

2) Buy replacement parts for the most critical/uncommon of it before you need it.

• Members

That's a hex socket screw, isn't it? Try a hardware store instead of a music store.

There should be a supplier of threaded hardware somewhere in the Norfolk/Suffolk area that would have such a screw if it can't be found at one of the big stores like Home Depot or Lowe's.

+1

You should try the machine/set screw section, the ones in the little drawers, and you should be able to find something that will work.

• Members

Yep, Glom-o's correct. I owned Axis pedals. A decent hardware store will have it. As as the e-cymbal, probably need to order that. Not even sure a music store would carry it. They'd have to order it too. Get creative for a week or two.

• Members

Yes, SO absurd that music stores don't carry a tiny random replacement part on a niche company pedal that sells to 1 out of (maybe) every 500 drummers...
:facepalm:

If the store sells Axis pedals, they have to assume that eventually people will need replacement parts for Axis pedals. They carry lots of replacement parts that most people probably won't need -- I bent the hi-hat metal shaft on my Eliminator stand and they happily grabbed a replacement one from the back warehouse area. I'm guessing these screws are on more than just Axis pedals anyway. How many different threadings can there be for drum-key type screws? (At least two, which I'm now aware, after trying to use one from a cymbal stand's spikes).

• Members

I used a rubber band and it worked last night for the cymbal, and just played single kick. The screw that's missing isn't a hex screw, it's one that tightens via a drum key.

missingScrew.JPG

Again, I'd still just take the pedal into a hardware store. They should have a screw w/ a hex/phillips head w/ the same threads. Having said that a music store with a decent drum department should carry a screw with like threads, even if it's a tad longer. No one will see it's different other than you. Hell, I probably have one I could send ya if you have that hard of a time getting one. Matter of fact I'm sure I have a couple in my drum tool/parts box. Let me know if ya get stuck, I'd be happy to send ya one man.

• Members

If the store sells Axis pedals, they have to assume that eventually people will need replacement parts for Axis pedals. They carry lots of replacement parts that most people probably won't need -- I bent the hi-hat metal shaft on my Eliminator stand and they happily grabbed a replacement one from the back warehouse area. I'm guessing these screws are on more than just Axis pedals anyway. How many different threadings can there be for drum-key type screws? (At least two, which I'm now aware, after trying to use one from a cymbal stand's spikes).

Start a business.

Carry all possible spare parts in stick for all your wares, even the rare items that few buy.

This, of course, requires that you pay the manufacturers up front to have them in your store to re-sell them, on top of what you've already paid for the items those parts go to.

Now sit and wait to see what comes first: the random 1 out of 500 guys who needs those rare obscure parts, or you going out of business because you have way too much inventory on hand, and nobody buying it.

OR, only keep the stuff on hand that you're most likely to sell so you can stay in business.

• Members

I do have my own small business. It's a computer repair store. And I try to stock lots of those little thing that are "rare items that few buy" -- because those are the things you need to get up and running and can't wait for them to come in mail order. Little dumb things like motherboard batteries and screw kits and IDE/SATA converters and packs of jumpers. They don't take up any real space and when you get someone coming in looking for them, and you've got them, you just made a customer for life.

I stand by the fact that if you sell a product, you should sell the replacement parts that the product will need. If you sell Yamaha electronic drums, you should probably sell the cymbal stoppers. Otherwise, why bother stocking the cymbals? I can buy a replacement cymbal at Guitar Center any time, but they don't stock the metal piece that stops the cymbal from spinning?

And again, I'm going to say that a drum key screw to hold a beater in place is not a "rare obscure part". Every pedal they sell uses some version of this (maybe the same thing, I dunno). And not only is it small and cheap, it's mission-critical. When someone comes in looking for one, they need one now, not in a week and a half when the order gets in. As a music store, that's something you should be looking to be able to fulfill.

• Members

I do have my own small business. It's a computer repair store. And I try to stock lots of those little thing that are "rare items that few buy" -- because those are the things you need to get up and running and can't wait for them to come in mail order. Little dumb things like motherboard batteries and screw kits and IDE/SATA converters and packs of jumpers. They don't take up any real space and when you get someone coming in looking for them, and you've got them, you just made a customer for life.

I stand by the fact that if you sell a product, you should sell the replacement parts that the product will need. If you sell Yamaha electronic drums, you should probably sell the cymbal stoppers. Otherwise, why bother stocking the cymbals? I can buy a replacement cymbal at Guitar Center any time, but they don't stock the metal piece that stops the cymbal from spinning?

And again, I'm going to say that a drum key screw to hold a beater in place is not a "rare obscure part". Every pedal they sell uses some version of this (maybe the same thing, I dunno). And not only is it small and cheap, it's mission-critical. When someone comes in looking for one, they need one now, not in a week and a half when the order gets in. As a music store, that's something you should be looking to be able to fulfill.

I think you're willingly overlooking the difference between lines & items that sell regularly and at volume and those that do not (Sorry, but no Axis part is common), and also the difference between a store that 'sells' something vs. one that 'keeps something in stock'.

Virtually any music store can Harris Teller you any part you need, or order direct from the manufacturer if they are an authorized dealer, so wherever you got that pedal and the eCymbal can get it for you.

You just want that rare/oddball item NOW...and that's not realistic.Clearly, you believe it is, but my experience working in the drum department of a big box music store and an indy drum shop for years each tells me it's not at all.

• Members

Okay... well... on this similar note -- anyone know where I can order replacement Axis parts, such as the part I need, online? I hate to drive an hour each way to the closest music store to order a {censored}ing screw. I don't want to replace it with a standard screw or hex screw because the drum key is always with me and is convenient, whereas a screwdriver is not.

• Members

I hate to drive an hour each way to the closest music store to order a fucking screw.

Do they not have a phone/are they not willing to special order a part for a regular customer?

If not, try the most obvious source:

http://www.axispercussion.com/technical.html

View our Dealers page to find a dealer in the continental United States.

Where can I buy replacement component parts?

Please call us direct at (310) 549-1171.

Or is that too easy?

;)

Archived