hi-hat, or ride?

D Carroll

• Members

Varies greatly with me, which is dependent on the music. If I do favor the ride for a song, I'll typically play the bell a good bit to add some dynamics.

Likewise, if I'm using the hats, it'll be open, closed, open (with tips), closed (with tips), open/closed, and playing the GH-inspired bells above w/the hats.

And I never limit myself to only using hats on verse, ride on chorus. threw that rule out about 10 years ago...

• Members

Although I drool over rides and think they're essential to jazz drumming, I'd rather have a set of hats to chick as I'm swishing/swinging with brushes. My bluegrass busking setup has neither, just suitcase, snare, and two heavy shakers from slap happy set on the edge of the snare for hat/washboard type contrast. Btw, shakers on the snare is awesome because you can get both sounds depending on dynamics and pick them up too.

• Members

It depends on the song, But I do love it when you bury that stick right in that sweet spot where the bell of the ride begins when it calls for it, playing quarter notes right in the pocket offsetting the thump of the bass and crack of the snare, kinda like the start of "Susie Q" by CCR.

• Members

i rely A LOT on my hats. at a gig not too long ago, the control rod for my hi-hat stand came unscrewed. i tried to quickly get it back together between songs; but it got to that awkward moment where the rest of the band's ready to go, crowd's waiting ... so i was like "ah {censored} it" and just played the next song without a functional hi hat stand.

man, i had a HARD time getting through that song. it completely threw me off.

• Members

i rely A LOT on my hats. at a gig not too long ago, the control rod for my hi-hat stand came unscrewed. i tried to quickly get it back together between songs; but it got to that awkward moment where the rest of the band's ready to go, crowd's waiting ... so i was like "ah {censored} it" and just played the next song without a functional hi hat stand.

man, i had a HARD time getting through that song. it completely threw me off.

I'd be seriously pissed.

Archived