Rock drumming system - anyone got it?

phatman10

• Members

Check out The Esrkine Method. It is mostly jazz, but it starts out with a great foundation of rock beats, and many ideas in jazz (eg. "kicking" the band) really fill out a rock song. http://www.amazon.com/Erskine-Method-Drumset-Alfreds-Artist/dp/073903541X/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1301768851&sr=1-1

Also, if you have the money, getting lessons is a really good investment. A teacher will help you with everything from technique to reading. Most importantly, they'll be able to individualize your education, which no DVD or book can do.

• Members

A teacher will help you with everything from technique to reading. Most importantly, they'll be able to individualize your education, which no DVD or book can do.

A teacher can also look at what you're doing and correct mistakes that are preventing you from doing it right. No DVD can do that. If you can afford it, lessons with a good teacher can go a long way to getting you at least started towards where you want to be.

• Members

Check out
The Esrkine Method
. It is mostly jazz, but it starts out with a great foundation of rock beats, and many ideas in jazz (eg. "kicking" the band) really fill out a rock song.

I like the Erskine book/DVD, but for relative beginners I prefer the Carmine Appice book. It's the most logically laid-out rock method book I've seen. I think the latest edition has a DVD, though I haven't seen it. What I don't like about the Erskine book is how quickly it leaps from basic jazz comping patterns to "Elvinisms". It's a big jump in skill level, and I've seen students stumble there quite a bit.

/w

• Members

A teacher can also look at what you're doing and correct mistakes that are preventing you from doing it right. No DVD can do that. If you can afford it, lessons with a good teacher can go a long way to getting you at least started towards where you want to be.

nothing beats a good teacher

Archived