Home Purchase: Drum Room Considerations

WillyRay

• Members

Hey Gang,

2 years since the separation, 1 year since selling "divorce house" and about 6 months since the judge signed the decree. I've been renting for a while, but now it's time to re-establish home ownership.

Thoughts on drum rooms? I think I'm looking for a basement room, with carpet and minimal windows. It'll probably serve as home-office, as well.

Anybody have any other drum room features they think I ought te be looking for?

/w

• Members

You've hit the two biggies for keeping sound down.

Some other considerations:

1. No moisture/leaking

2. Finished walls instead of concrete or cinder block

3. Drop ceiling which will reduce the sound coming up through the floor.

4. Direct-entrance basements are far more convenient than going through the house.

• Members

FWIW n just my .02.. If your so inclined, there is no better solution for noise control than buying a home in rural america. I own an old farm house in the country with my closest neighbors at least a football field away. I have played full out at all hours of the night and into morning with disturbing anybody (Yes, I asked them if they could hear me :cop: ). The best part is that I am able to setup my kit wherever I want in the house based on where I think it sounds best and most inspires me on any given day. Sometimes I play in a big open space to get that huge drum sound :thu: other times in the corner of a small carpeted room to tighten everything up (ok so this one never really happens but it's an option...:facepalm:).

• Members

Hell, I live in a town of 150 people and my neighbors still mow their lawn naked on warm days. (In VT it's not illegal to be naked outside, so long as you walk out of your house naked. Can't take your clothes off outside or else it's public indecency.)

But agreed, go country. I love being "free" in terms of people. Cities just piss me off, it seems like everyone's bitching about something, everyone's pissed off and in a hurry to get nowhere fast. Plus the car noises suck. Sirens at 2 in the morning. Eff that, go rural.

• Members

WillyRay, you got it, man. A finished basement room is best - carpeted floors with real walls (built out from the concrete) are key, and if you can drop the ceiling, so much the better.

Don't forget to have it wired for heat, too!

• Members

basement good, detached garage better. the garage would likely take more work to soundproof.

Walkout basement is better than rickety stairs basement.

I don't know about living in the boonies of UT though, sounds {censored}ing dangerous.

• Members

Cities just piss me off, it seems like everyone's bitching about something, everyone's pissed off and in a hurry

Yeah, usually bitching about the yokels from the country who apparently have never driven on paved roads with other vehicles on them who are usually rubber-necking at every little thing and bringing things to a standstill...

I know, Cletus: Indoor plumbing shore is impressive. Now get the F%@k out of the way.

OP-

Basement room with walkout to exterior door is bonue, plus constructed interior walls & drop ceiling is optimal for sound dampening. Glass block windows if you can, helps with both sound dampening and allows for more security than pane glass, plus allows natural light.

If you can get a room on its own electrical circuit, even better if you're thinking recording gear, etc.

• Members

A room within a room concept that allows air or space between the jam room wall and outside wall. Don't make the room totally square, slant one wall, make it oblong or have "cubbyholes" or such to "trap" some of the overtones as well. Make the room bigger than you need so that at least a guitarist and bassist can fit in as well, also it will allow you more space to place mics around the room if you record. Make sure you have enough properly wired outlets around the room.

Yes on setting up heat and I would try to have A/C or nice fans to cool off with. Another idea, house next door was rented by a band for a while growing up, they carpeted the garage and did as much DIY sounding as they could. They had a 3foot wall built around the drums in an "L" shape so that the hi hat end of the set was open to get in and out. It worked pretty well. It was mostly the bass amp that we could still hear (like you're in the parking lot of the club) Hope this helps!

• Members

Depending on where you are looking, I'd find a small a small farm house with some land in between houses, then you have free reign of putting your kit where ever you want. A buddy of mine got one in upper Maryland for under 100K. Just a thought...

• Members

DO NOT LIMIT UR BUYING OPPORTUNITIES B/C OF A DRUM ROOM.

u can put a drum room ANYWHERE.

all u need is 4 walls, 1 ceiling, 1 floor, a SOLID CORE access door, insulation in ALL walls/ceil/flr, and a vent line.

build a room w/in a room, NOT touching any of the house walls

• Members

Hey Gang,

2 years since the separation, 1 year since selling "divorce house" and about 6 months since the judge signed the decree. I've been renting for a while, but now it's time to re-establish home ownership.

Thoughts on drum rooms? I think I'm looking for a basement room, with carpet and minimal windows. It'll probably serve as home-office, as well.

/w

Hey Willy. We have a lot in common.

3 years since the separation

about a year and a half since I sold the hell house

And hopefully only a few weeks from signing the decree. Can't freaking wait!!!!

Just bought a new house 3 months ago. We had the basement finished. The room I have is big enough for a rehersal space. I love it. The only thing I would recommend would be a walk in access. I don't have it so I have to lug the equipment through the house and down the stairs.

• Members

Looking at one tomorrow with a detached "Hobby Shop". probably 400 square feet of studio + a little kitchen and a bathroom with a shower. Also, it just happens to be about a block aware from the best (and only) drum shop in town.

/w

• Members

Hey Gang,

/w

Wow! Sounds like you and I had the exact same experience, just a few years apart! LOL!!! Had the awesome studio, in the awesome house, which went by-by with the divorce.

I have a new home with a studio, and I like it well enough, but definitely miss my old one.:cry:

For a basement, my first consideration is that it is a "walk out" basement, (not bilco doors either), but a true ground level walkout. Screw lugging equipment up and down stairs. Depending on your budget and whether or not someone else is living in the home, soundproofing is a must. Also, if you are going to use the studio for commercial purposes, like I do, i.e., teaching, recording, band rehearsals, etc., a bathroom is also a must! LOL!!! :facepalm:

If I had the money, and could do it all over again though, I would prefer an "out building" for a studio. On the property, but completely separate from the house. Much easier to work with than a basement. :thu:

Archived