Good price for '80s Tama Granstar Custom kit?

sabotage69

• Members

I have a chance to pick up a small shell pack of older Tama Granstar drums in a light purple'ish color. Not at all my choice of color, but whatever...

Anyway, the kit consists of one mounted tom 12" (rim mounted) a 16" floor tom, a 22" kick and a 14" snare. Drums are solid birch. The kick drum sounds enormous. All fairly new heads too.

The price is $350 with brand new quality gig bags for the drums. He's asking $300 without the cases.

It's my understanding that this is a CRAZY good deal for respected drums. But, I want to make sure. What do you guys think?

• Members

If I were in the market for a kit, I would bite on that: I actually had a Granstar kit (shells only) in the same tom sizes (24" kick) on order in the early 90's but cancelled when I got a stupid-good deal on the Premier kit (plus all hardware & bags cases) that I went with.

In fact, if I had a little loose change right now and knew my wife wouldn't kill me for buying YET ANOTHER kit, I'd buy it.

• Members

Thanks kmart. Anyone else?

I have every intention of buying this, unless someone convinces me it's not a good deal or whatever.

FYI - I've been a gigging lead guitar player for 20+ years, a gigging bass player for around 3 years, and am now venturing into drums. I have an electronic kit for practice in my apartment and an acoustic kit for practice at my girlfriends house. My acoustic set has all nice stands and killer Zildjian cymbals, but the shells are cheaper "Pulse" drums. I think upgrading to these Tamas is going to give me a VERY giggable kit.

• Members

I would go for it if it were me.

The music stores that I ran in the '80s sold Tama, so I know them fairly well. Well built, good sounding drums. I've used a set in the studio on several occasions back then, and they always recorded well.

Based on your color description, if my memory serves me correctly, was called "Heather Metallic".

• Members

I would go for it if it were me.

The music stores that I ran in the '80s sold Tama, so I know them fairly well. Well built, good sounding drums. I've used a set in the studio on several occasions back then, and they always recorded well.

Based on your color description, if my memory serves me correctly, was called "Heather Metallic".

"Heather Metallic" huh? That sounds about right. Not a color I would choose, but I don't care alot about that right now.

I researched the "Granstar" line a little yesterday and from what I can tell, these are pretty well respected drums. I saw several comments about the kick drum sounding massive and I gotta say that's what I heard when I tried it last night.

• Members

Yeah, that's the color I remember as being "Heather Metallic". Maybe google could confirm it?

Anyway, I think you'd be very happy with them. I'm pretty sure the regular Granstars were a wrap, and customs were lacquer.

I didn't even think to check out if it's a wrap or laquer. This is all fairly new to me. Since it was a solid color, I just assumed wrap. But I did notice for sure that the badges on the drums say Granstar Custom.

• Members

I didn't even think to check out if it's a wrap or laquer. This is all fairly new to me. Since it was a solid color, I just assumed wrap. But I did notice for sure that the badges on the drums say Granstar Custom.

i had a set of Granstars that i got when they were first introduced in 1986 and used them until 1991....it was the Rose colored wrap finish.

when they first came out there was the Granstar series that was the wrap shells and the Crestar series that were the lacquered shells, but i think the Custom name replaced the Crestars, thus the lacquer finish.

• Members

I think it went Crestar, Granstar (wraped), Granstar II (lacquered), and then Granstar custom (also lacquered), then they were discontined and eventually became the Starclassic Performers (sort of). Regardless I would say that it's a good deal, and would go for it. I know a guy on another forum that has a huge (9-10 pc kit) in heather metallic kit. He's a granstar collector of sorts.

• Members

Got 'em home and spent an hour or so with them so far. Wow! These drums sound huge to me! The kick is powerful and just awesome. I don't have it in front of me right this second, but I think the snare said "Imperialstar" on it, not "Granstar." Also, it definitely says Granstar Custom on the badges and I'm assuming it's laquer. (I don't see seams where a wrap would meet and it feels like laquer.)

These pics suck bigtime, but I used my iPhone to grab something quick.

tama1.jpg

tama2.jpg

I hate how the previous owner had a mic hole cut right in the center of the front kick head. That looks silly to me... I hate to spend money just to change the looks, but I may have to do that... LOL

• Members

Congrats! Have fun!

Imperialstars where a line from the 70's and 80's, that were discontinued and recently re-introduced by Tama, but the new ones bear very little similarities to the original ones. Hopefully your is an old Imperialstar.

• Members

I hate how the previous owner had a mic hole cut right in the center of the front kick head. That looks silly to me... I hate to spend money just to change the looks, but I may have to do that... LOL

If you're going to have a hole, it should be in the center. :thu:

• Members

I just updated my previous post with a much better picture. Here it is below also:

tama2.jpg

These drums sound fantastic and I'm very happy with the purchase! Still having a hard time with the cyclops front drumhead, but whatever... LOL

Archived