Pros getting around the drums

1001gear

• Members

ok.

gadd, no comment. none needed.

Carlock. taken trad grip to it's outer limit. it's hyperbolic and nearly satirical to watch. what a ridiculous grip! he's chubby. I {censored}in love carlock.

and stanton- his whole career is based on that RRLRRLRL pattern, how can it always sound like something totally fresh? also I feel guilty whenever I sit down to play, I'm always thinking Stanton would be having more fun if he was here instead of me.

nice clips gear!

• Members

i'll comment on gadd. every time i hear him start off like he does here, it makes me want to play "50 ways." just too tasty.

carlock-- pretty typical for a metal player. the fast double bass is cool, but i've heard it before.

and moore sounds better with weezer.

you always post the goods, 1k1, thanks!!

• Members

Hi there. Glad you guys liked these clips. All experts in old school chops with rhythm that borders on elegant. Feel that brings the figures to life. Coulda been more - Steve Smith, Vinnie, Weckl ... all your favorite traditional players ...

So everybody knows that. What's the point?

Well I think feel is part of talent - but playing with feel is chops.

All these guys play with their body; from the tip of their spine out. It's in their stomachs, shoulders, thighs, biceps, anatomy anatomy anatomy ... it's that dance I mentioned in Fitch's EWF thread. Feel is defined by the motions they produce. All the layers of harmonic modulation going through the extremities and joints before the sticks even touch the drums. This is what goes into the drum. This is the musicality you hear.

And the point, more to end this post than anything, don't let your body atrophy on "proper" stick control.

haha....

• Members

good on you 1k.

i was concerned a bit back that my left hand is palm down and my right is thumb-top, if that makes sense. i tried to change it feverishly, and my playing suffered. it was hella-frustrating. when i gave up, my playing was even better. more fluid, faster, dynamic and comfortable. i knew then i was focusing on the wrong attributes.

• Members

I'm always thinking Stanton would be having more fun if he was here instead of me.

:lol::lol::lol: that's just funny as all hell :lol::lol::lol:

any way, I've seen that Gadd vid before. Made me go home and put the metronome on like 60bpm and just groove. I think I did that for like a month. Maybe even posted about it.

Carlock is so hard to see what he's doing cuz he does it like no one else.

And Stanton is a mf on the New Orleans stuff. He kills it!!

thanks and agree 1k1 on the body groove thing. I've kinda gone through this thing about conserving energy and trying to focus more. Screw it, time to play!!

• Members

Should I feel bad that i can't do anything remotely close to that with RRLRRLRL?

can you at least play the slow basic pattern he shows at the beginning?

It all starts there. Learn that SLOWLY and build it up till it's second nature...THEN try moving it around the kit.

• Members

Should I feel bad that i can't do anything remotely close to that with RRLRRLRL?

Hold your sticks like I always say - on the end, close your hand around them. No loosey goosey. Your hands should be coupled to the sticks and the two (four?) should move as a unit. If your hands turn purple or start to glow, you're doing it wrong.

One of the beauties of this travesty grip is you can now play slowly. Every little tap is readily and quite handily controllable. NOW practice your doubles.

• Members

Okay, I can play anything you throw at me slowly (a la the beginning), I just think the amount of time it would take me to reach the speeds he's doing and the ability to switch that pattern all over the place at will ... well, it would be a long time.

I'm not completely terrible, but I'm fairly terrible.

Archived