Opinions from you Saluda players.

fusionfunk

• Members

As some may recall, I'm in an unusual playing situation, where quiet, is the key. I've purchased the Tama Silverstar Metro's, and they are working out quite well. I've solved the stick issue also.

So............that only leaves the cymbals, still! :mad::lol:

I've checked out my local shop, nothing that I feel I could use. I stumbled upon Saluda's website and I know that some of you here play them, and wanted your feedback. I really like what I've seen, but prefer first hand, hands on knowledge.

What about quality, customer service, etc. Also, what lines of Saluda's do you play, or are familiar with?

And, am I correct in that it appears they are direct from the factory purchase only? Would be nice if I could go to a shop and demo some.

• Members

I'm not a saluda player, but for low dynamic playing I highly suggest looking into Dream's bliss series. Sort of soft on the stick with dark tones, great for low volume crashes. If they seem too thin/washy for your needs, their Contact line is slightly heavier and a little more defined. They're also pretty inexpensive new.

My apologies for not answering as a Saluda player. Also, my quietest ride is unlathed, unfinished, and heavily hammered. I suppose if I was having a quiet ride created I'd go in that direction.

• Members

I am a Saluda player. They are a custom cymbal manufacturer. Jamie Lambert is the owner and is a very good guy to deal with...honest...very up front. If you are looking just for light quiet cymbal, this may be too far for you to go as most of his line is very specialized. As far as sound goes, I have a 14" Decadence crash which is very nice...glassy with a good explosion and does not linger. I also have a 12" China Blast Accent cymbal which does the same type thing, but has more of a trashy sound. On the flip side, I tried to buy a ride from him and he could not come even close to the sound I was going for (Just ask Beaker, Mikey, Todd, Tyler and Mark) about THAT experience...oy! After a years worth of go rounds...2 rounds to me, and presumably more for him, we gave up the quest. And believe me, I wasn't asking for the world either! He just did not have my sound in his head and could not get there from here...so to speak.

But they are a reputable company and Jamie is very easy to deal with... I have total first hand knowledge of their workmanship. If you deal with them, tell Jamie that Carmine sends his best...no hard feelings...

If we ever get to talk with Mark, he has a ride, hats and crashes from Saluda...

• Members

personally, i dig on wuhan. i have a couple, including a ride i love. they're cheap and soft. i caution you to play them first. but, if you're not picky on the sound, or you're adventurous, just pick up a few crashes of the same size. they all will sound different. pick your favorite. sell the rest. or, drill holes in them, or put rivets in 'em. best part is, they're cheap!

• Members

personally, i dig on wuhan. i have a couple,
including a ride i love
. they're cheap and soft. i caution you to play them first. but, if you're not picky on the sound, or you're adventurous, just pick up a few crashes of the same size. they all will sound different. pick your favorite. sell the rest. or, drill holes in them, or put rivets in 'em. best part is, they're cheap!

Cool. I'm willing to try any and all choices to find what works best for this particular gig.

Thanks!

• Members

I have 3 Saluda's, a large China, one of those china splashes and a bell. I like all of them, much better sounding than the Wuhan's I used on my old set. The Wuhan's I had were a little on the trashy end for my ears, but still better than many of the sheet bronze cymbals. None of the Saluda's I have would be considered quiet, but they have a variety of styles. The downside is that you can really see what they sound like before you get them. Nothing but good things to say about them so far.

• Members

I cant comment on saluda's....I have never played on a kit with one. The only one I have hit is the prototype that was given away at this years drum jam, but it was heavy enough to be a loud pie. I do however have experience in zildjian a's in paper thins. less attack out front with a great lower overall sound. My 16" a paper thin is one of my favs and it has lasted me for several years.

Archived