I am a guitarist looking to get into drumming. What info/songs to learn first?

HumanFuseBen

• Members

Yup! I have played guitar for 12 years or so, and i'm wanting to learn to play drums! My drummer leaves his kit at my place for band practice, so i figure i might as well put it to use while he's not around.

Some of my favorite drummers are Morgan Agren (Mats/Morgan Band), Brann Dailor (Mastodon), Chris Pennie (when he was with Dillinger), Matt Cameron, and actually the drummer of my band ARC, Ian Shuirr (click the link in my sig... he's amazing.). Oh and Bonham... and Grohl....

But really, i'd like to learn a bit of everything. What should i start with? I can sightread rhythm, so i'm sure that'll help. I put on some headphones last night and played along to some White Stripes songs no problem hahaha

• Members

Unless you suck at guitar after 12 years, you should know the attacks is all you got. Mostly anyway. Drumming has little cover in that regard. Go back to your White Stripes and see if you can bang it out evenly; dynamically as well as metrically - like it was a bass part or something. Nevermind how the girl does it. lol

Oh, and a time keeping trick, play/count every note like it sustains into the next note. This might make for some complex thinking even on Meg Whites parts - hmm... but it's good for you.

• Members

yeah, so if your favorite drummer is the drummer in your band, WHY DON'T YOU ASK HIM?????

:idea:

ha! not bad thinking, huh? As much of a beast as he is, he'll be the first to tell you he isn't knowledgeable at all on the subject. He's been playing since he was like 3 or 4, its all just natural to him.

• Members

I can sightread rhythm, so i'm sure that'll help.

Hmmm...

Maybe, but my gut says no.

IMO, the MOST difficult thing to do is make your limbs work independently.

Perhaps start with making sure you can work your kick foot and non-time-keeping hand as individual entities: BOOM-BAP-BOOM-BOOM-BAP, etc.

Then when you've got that happening, add your time-keeping hand on top of it.

Work on that until you've got at least 3 limbs that can largely operate on their own.

It's trickier than maybe you think.

As mentioned above, AC/DC is a great place to start: it's straight-ahead, basic, very clear/easy to hear.

• Members

Practice to a click/metronome. You'll get better loads faster. And pay particular attention to the verse/chorus/bridge transitions. Most beginning (and some not so beginning) drummers tend to speed up on the fills during the transition. This is where a click/metronome will help you the most imo.

• Members

Honestly, it may not be what you want to hear, but your best bet is to seek the teachings of a qualified instructor. You will save countless hours in the learning curve over being self taught, and a good teacher will correct bad techniques before they become habit.

• Members

In the vein of playing along, AC/DC and Pink Floyd are both great bands to start with. AC/DC is great in that it has a good pocket and the drums are easier to hear - plus you can find video of it everywhere to see how Phil Rudd is making those grooves happen.

Pink Floyd will teach you a lighter touch, better dynamics, and a lot of taste - the playing is very "for the music."

And, more than anything else, take lessons. :)

• Members

Drums was never my first instrument, but after being shown the basics by a friend way back in HS, I just tried to play along to music I liked at the time...cranked the headphones and went for it. Already knowing one instrument will at least help with timing. It just takes time, that's it.

• Members

Regardless of what a lot of people say, I will proclaim the following:

If you ever want to utilize double-bass/multi-pedal work, start from the get go. Forget those who say master single with hihat and then work on double. That is like saying master just the right hand, then start over by adding the left.

If you hope to naturally play any multi-pedal setup as you are learning, its best to get started with it right off the bat in my opinion. This will allow you to feel comfortable with it from day one. And who says that it means you WONT master hat work, or single kick techniques? Just means you wont have to basically re-train your legs when the time comes.

I played first 3-4 years with single pedal, then got a double pedal and it took me another 3-4 years to actually put it to any good use in any genre of music I played, mostly just relying on the left to accent over primary use on the right. Now that Im into metal, I am again having to learn to look at the left as importantly as the right. Guys that have only been playing for a few years, but started with double kicks in metal are blazing past me, and I wish I had started it earlier.

This rule applies to ANYTHING related to drums really, dont wait and say you will learn it later, do it now.

• Members

merlin's right. learn everything now, cuz you'll never be able to add anything later.
;)

:lol:

Just saying, why wait. The earlier to start on anything, the sooner you will gain proficiency. I just dont like people discouraging new drummers from getting double pedals or kicks. There is no logic to it. Anything you can learn with a single pedal, you can learn with a double. Not so the other way around.

• Members

Agree completely. There is a little sense in the old way in that that's the way most drumming is. Half a glance though, outside that pig headed box reveals first, that pigheaded box, and second a world of musical potential. One kick foot and one chick foot is a waste of time.

• Members

My son left his guitar at my house, think I'll learn how to play it. What songs should I start out learning? It shouldn't be too hard, I can already play drums and read rhythms, that should help. It only has 6 strings, shouldn't take me too long. I can already plug it in and get great feedback,haha.

Step 1-learn how to hold the sticks.

Step 2- learn how to hit the drum (there are many different ways)

Step 3- try using both hands (this takes about 5 years minimum)

Step 4- repeat steps 1,2,3 with your feet.

Seriously, if you are not going to get a teacher, at least get a couple of books. Stick Control (by Stone)is one of the best. For beginning hand foot coordination "Realistic Rock" (Appice) works fine.

• Members

Cdawg, it was a poke at the thread starter who thought he could just sit down and start playing drums with a little help. I do play guitar, not well, but it never has been a focus. My son did NOT leave his guitar at my house. I have one of my own.

The point is that some guitar players think that learning drums would be easy. No respect for the instrument, no understanding that just playing the drums and learning how to play can be 2 different things. I am still learning how to play, 50+ years of practicing and I've only scratched the surface of what is possible.

Yes, you can learn how to play lots of songs by getting down some basic foot hand coordination, do some fills by copying things you hear other drummers doing, and start playing in a band and presto, you are a drummer. Everyone thinks learning how to play drums will be easy, no notes to worry about, no scales to learn, if you hit the wrong thing no one notices, just keep the beat and rock out.

Even the sub topic of starting out with a double pedal is sort of silly. I have no problem with it, just make sure you can do as much as possible with a bass and hihat as well, don't just learn how to chuggachugga 16ths while you blast beat, learn how to do your foot rudiments, flam paraddidles, swiss army triplets, etc., as you learn your hand foot linear line fills. There is so much to learn and so little time.

• Members

I appreicated the joke rdrummer.

After all I have done though, I would say you can skip the books and the videos. Hands on instruction is one thing, but nothing beats simply playing along to music of all kinds. I learned marching snare, bells, and bass in school; in-person instruction and books, lots of damn books.

When I got to the kit it helped only so far as some basic muscle memory. Playing to music is what really taught me how to drum, as my dad stuck my on his kit fired up the stereo, and walked away.

For all the formal instruction I had, I discovered that I my body actually learned MORE rudiments through self-practice, as they truly become natural movements. Later in school we would go over one, and I would be like "This is a formal thing? I do it all the time."

Lessons can be great, if you have a real teacher, not someone who just spews rudiments and sheet music at you. If the instructor doesnt have you playing along to anything from day one, and you arent a 10yr old who needs to learn which direction to hold the stick, I say walk away. But always, always, play along to music you love from the get go!

Archived