OT: Posting and Spelling Trick I use

twosticks

• Members

Race's post got me thinking about this. Many times when I'm posting on here or typing an e-mail, I will not know how to spell a word. Most browsers now have tabs where you can look up two things at once on the web. So I will click open a new tab or window, go to my search engine (Yahoo, Google, etc) on the new page and start typing in the word I'm looking for. Many times, that word will show up in the "instant find" list that pops up. Sometimes I have to click on the "did you mean?" words or the word I think it is since many now show up as one word definitions on the web now. When I double click on that word, I can then click back on the first tab or page (where I'm writing) and the correct way to spell the word I'm having trouble with is correctly spelled in the header of the second open tab or page that I can see as I'm typing on the first page. I can then search up new words on the second tab or exit the second tab when I want. Just thought it might be an idea for others?? :confused: Hope it helps!

• Members

Not perfect.

But it is a pet peeve of mine, so since I am apparently one of a select few who learnt sumthing in skool what stuk with them all theez yeers, I felt like responding.

I'm not talking about words that would be difficult to spell for most people with an education, mind you: there's clearly a high volume of people posting online, and in this forum who struggle with the most basic items, however: you're vs. your; when NOT to use an apostrophe before an 's' (Hint: an apostrophe doesn't have anything to do with plurality), etc.

These are the most basic items, yet day in and day out, they get butchered.

Maybe many don't care about such things.

I think that's sad.

[Author's note: This entire message was composed without the aid of any Spell Check tools, etc. Any/all mistakes are as intended by the author, and not the result of a lack of attention while in third through sixth grade.]

:thu:

• Members

lol...I love gettin you started. haha...................your having a pet peeve about someones spelling is like me having one against someone for not being able set up a twin turbo on an eco-boost. Bottom line its a little childish........but I like pushing the button when I know whats gonna come next. Truth is the only time anyone should ever look down on someone is if your lending them a hand to help them off the ground.

• Members

i was just speaking of this to someone recently. my parents (and step mom) were teachers. when my mom had kids, she quit teaching. she then began waitressing. she did until she died. i couldn't understand until the last few years of her life why she never taught again. she said it was the people. she explained that she would rather be around the kind, uneducated people than the educated snobs. i tend to agree.

• Members

i was just speaking of this to someone recently. my parents (and step mom) were teachers. when my mom had kids, she quit teaching. she then began waitressing. she did until she died. i couldn't understand until the last few years of her life why she never taught again. she said it was the people. she explained that she would rather be around the kind, uneducated people than the educated snobs. i tend to agree.

You may need to explain this to me. I have a hard time drawing a correlation between:

educated = snob

noneducated = kind

• Members

You may need to explain this to me. I have a hard time drawing a correlation between:

educated = snob

noneducated = kind

the noneds didn't try to act like something they weren't.

the educated teachers truly looked down on uneducated folks.

• Members

the noneds didn't try to act like something they weren't.

the educated teachers truly looked down on uneducated folks.

There are also educated people that truly care about helping someone learn, as opposed to those that just try to impress you with their "wisdom", by shoving it down your throat every chance they get. Big difference.

• Members

There are also educated people that
truly
care about helping someone learn, as opposed to those that just try to impress you with their "wisdom", by shoving it down your throat every chance they get.
Big
difference.

oh, don't get me wrong, i know. i was more addressing the proliferation of the "professional" attitude toward the uneducated. personally, i've learned more from folks without college degrees than those with.

• Members

...your having a pet peeve about someones spelling is like me having one against someone for not being able set up a twin turbo on an eco-boost.

Big difference in simple/basic spelling & grammar rules and a technical skill.

Or between something everyone learns in grade school and something one would need speciality training for.

Or between something that's necessary for MOST jobs versus something that's required for few.

Just because spelling/grammar might not come easy or be second nature doesn't make it any less sad that adults far and wide belittle its importance, but if you want to continue comparing it to something that it's nothing like, be my guest.

+1 million hypocrite points for calling my post/whatever childish...and then crowing about how you like pushing buttons, BTW.

Smooth.

• Members

oh, don't get me wrong, i know. i was more addressing the proliferation of the "professional" attitude toward the uneducated. personally, i've learned more from folks without college degrees than those with.

Let's stay on track here:

We're not talking about any perceived or actual differences between those who have college degrees and those who don't.

Are we?

I thought the discussion was about people who don't bother paying attention to what was taught in Miss Tessmacher's Grade 5 English classes.

Wasn't it?

Or are we now just rolling up to say ANY formal education is too much education?

Wow, what happened to 'knowledge is power"?

Ok, fine. I'll jump out of this one and take my BA in liberal arts with me.

Still hold to my first post, though: best trick for spelling challenges is to actually have the basic knowledge and understanding in the first place.

• Members

]

Big difference in simple/basic spelling & grammar rules and a technical skill.

Or between something everyone learns in grade school and something one would need speciality training for.

Or between something that's necessary for MOST jobs versus something that's required for few.

Just because spelling/grammar might not come easy or be second nature doesn't make it any less sad that adults far and wide belittle its importance, but if you want to continue comparing it to something that it's nothing like, be my guest.

+1 million hypocrite points for calling my post/whatever childish...and then crowing about how you like pushing buttons, BTW.

Smooth.

Whats simple to you may not be simple to others. I was rebuilding car engines in the 7th grade while most of my friends were playing with star wars fugures. I dont think of spelling as a saving grace or a thing to get in a tizzy about. If it were my resume....fine. Internet forum...please. Many adults can not read or write, even in todays world. And to think of them as any less of a human being is crazy. People that throw cigarette butts out theyre car windows drives me crazy......but I dont dwell on it. Im no hypocrite, and I appreciated your first post, although all I got out of it was the tone that everyone on any forum that cant spell must not have gone to grade school. I dunno??? How do you want people to take a short insulting post like that. To me it was insulting, and degrades anyone that didnt have that choice. And if they did go, not everyone learns the same values and teachings as yourself in another part of the world. so why dwell on it.

And I appreciate twosticks for trying to help......I have a spellcheck at the top right of my screen, but it says I need to download something. Everytime I do something like that I get a virus...go figure.

• Members

[Author's note: This entire message was composed without the aid of any Spell Check tools, etc. Any/all mistakes are as intended by the author, and not the result of a lack of attention while in third through sixth grade.]

The comma after author is incorrect punctuation.

• Members

Phrase marking. As if speaking IOW.

I can good gramatic and spell If like has.

This^ has information and logic in some alternate vernacular. might take a couple seconds to decipher bit no wrongitude.

It's like music vs music theory. The theory is after the fact; an attempt to describe the process.

• Members

Didn't mean to start anything. I am using Firefox. I just can't find where to start the spell check. Usually I'm just looking one or two words so opening another tab works for me most times. I'm not perfect and I just thought it might help someone.

I don't think spelling really tells if a person is smart or not. I think it does affect how others see you and can make it harder to communicate if your spelling is really bad. I did okay in grade school and was an average student in high school. I used to spell badly and make many grammar mistakes. I went back to school at 24 and found that I did much better then because I applied myself more. Plus it also helped that I relearned many of the rules that I had forgotten as I grew up. But I was still the same person deep down.

There are a few (not all) in college and education settings that collect degrees and seem to act like those who don't are a little below them. They can be stoic or act reserved. There are many of their peers that don't act that way though.

Usually I describe this group to others as a family where most get along and help each other out with some ribbing here and there and honest feedback. It would disappoint me to see a big riff start over something stupid like spelling. Life is too short as we've seen in many recent posts.

• Members

Didn't mean to start anything. I am using Firefox. I just can't find where to start the spell check. Usually I'm just looking one or two words so opening another tab works for me most times. I'm not perfect and I just thought it might help someone.

my firefox just underlines misspelled words, then you can right-click on them for suggestions. you can also right-click on any text and select "check spelling" to turn it on, if i'm not mistaken.

Archived