what are your pre-show warm ups/routines?

JMR

• Members

For me, I slap on a ton of this stuff

GB008_Xl.jpg

and quickly run through some amen break drumnbass stuff (I use the term lightly, because I am not very good at that stuff, especially compared to some of the posters on here) stuff to warm up. I'll usually play a simple beat slowly and then play it faster and faster. Then chug some water and go. I play in a post-punk whatever band with a lot of fast 3/4 stuff and yelling.

• Members

I have not sweet enough to need the gold bond in years. Kinda miss those days. I try to stretch my fingers, wrists, arms and elboes and just about everything else. I may play some single and double stroke rolls on whatever is near me at the time...table/floor/chair...within the past few years using my 2 down kit, ive found it helps me to twist and stretch my mid section. It helps with turning on the throne to reach my 16 floor tom........but im gettin old.

• Members

I do some light wrist, arm and ankle stretches/movements then some rudiments on the snare--my favorites are pardiddle variations. I do this one a lot: Rlrr llRl rrll Rlrr Lrll rrLr llrr Lrll (16th notes; caps are accents). So I'll do that on the snare, slowly then speeding up, then I'll apply it to the kit, hitting the accents on different toms. I'll finish up by playing some beats then some more stretching.

With stretching it's important to not stretch a whole lot before you're warm. So when I stretch before I've done anything, it's really just to loosen up a little bit. With my stretches at the end, I actually push myself.

• Members

Depends on the gig. If I'm with one of my regular bands and know the material, a lil smoke and an IPA feels at home. I warm my limbs up enough during sound check. Playing jazz for dinner/corporate crowds I'll often start with brushes to see where my boundaries are, then the switch to sticks already feels warm. Back in my punk days I'd hammer out 16's on my shoe or throne.

• Members

AHH! Gold Bond; my best friend. Most beloved on the hot, summer, outdoor gigs. A few years ago I was at work, talking to my whife on the phone. I asked her to pick me up some of my Magic drumming powder as I was running low. People heard the conversation and it took me quite some time to get them to understand that I was talking about Gold Bond and not something else.

• Members

I've gotten better lately about stretching out, warming up my hands and wrists, and depending on the gig, the rest of my body. I drink a ton of water the day of a show to be really hydrated, and I often find a squishy ball helps get the blood flowing in my hands.

• Members

sometime during the course of the day, I will eat a meal of Chicken McNuggets, Large Fries, Large Diet Coke. If I dont have this, its a bad night.

No nuggets, no groove.

Also, at the gig, not too much booze. Maybe a shot if someones buying, but usually just water.

BUT IF THERE WERENT MCNUGGETS EARLIER IN THE DAY, IT DONT MATTER!!! GONNA BE A BAAAAAAD NIGHT!

Archived