What should I buy next?

Shawn76

• Members

I am in a rush to finish up my drum kit now. Found out the g/f is pregnant and she told me no more buying drums.(like I listen) I went today and got the 14x14 FT which will be the last tom I will need to buy now. But as far as cymbals I know I want a few more splashes and maybe another crash. I went with the floor tom instead of the mounted one,the mounted was a 14x12 I wanted 14x14.Will I hear a difference?

Looking to buy a DB pedal as well since mine is so sluggish and my orginal plan was to use all Yamaha hardware,which I have one Yamaha stand and need about 5 or 6 more plus a snare stand and hi hat stand.

So what should my next purchase be,she isn't living with me yet so I can hide the fact I am still addicted to buying for a few more months.

• Members

diapers..............lots and lots and lots and lots and lots of diapers...................

I am off the hook on that until at least June maybe July if I can get lucky lol. More money for drums.

I just rearranged my cymbals and put my 2 18 crashes in front only,moved the Chinas up more so they are easier to reach so I won't need anymore cymbals. Pedals seem to be the winner!

• Members

Unless you're independently wealthy and or a {censored}ty father who won't properly take responsibility for his child, lay off the gear for a while and start saving for your future child's well-being, education, etc.

Then once you've got that established, figure out how much you can save towards gear moving forward, if any.

Yeah, I know: that's the mature thing to do.

If you're adverse to doing mature things, you shouldn't have gotten her knocked up in the first place.

• Members

I agree with the others that it's time to get into saving mode instead of spending mode. Lots of unexpected expenses on the horizon. I was going to suggest the double pedal, but it seems that you already have one but that it's too sluggish. What brand and model do you have? perhaps the members (ha ha ha, I said member) can help you improve its performance. To paraphrase a song lyric I heard many years ago: "It's not about having what you want, it's about wanting what you've got."

• Members

having been through baby-dom recently (my boy's now three and 1/2,) i agree with most of the others. i know you feel pressured, but you should feel pressured to save, not spend. kids are more expensive than you'll ever know. you have a great set-up. just stop.

on another note, being broke and looking for ways to get new sounds, i trade and sell stuff a bunch. plus, i cut down cymbals and make stuff.

• Members

Yes, you will hear a difference. The 14x14 will have a deeper sound. But most importantly, I used to be married to a woman who put up with my music and showed a disdain for it. We had a son together. Now I am married to a woman who plays keyboard with me. We have a music studio with my drums, her keyboard, PA, and she loves it when I play. Your drumming is not an addiction, it's part of who you are. Take it from me, resentment has no equitable tradeoff. Your kid will always be your kid. Buy what you want, when you want it, and don't compromise yourself for others especially if you're single.

• Members

Yes, you will hear a difference. The 14x14 will have a deeper sound. But most importantly, I used to be married to a woman who put up with my music and showed a disdain for it. We had a son together. Now I am married to a woman who plays keyboard with me. We have a music studio with my drums, her keyboard, PA, and she loves it when I play. Your drumming is not an addiction, it's part of who you are. Take it from me, resentment has no equitable tradeoff. Your kid will always be your kid. Buy what you want, when you want it, and don't compromise yourself for others especially if you're single.

the part of who you are takes a back seat when your kid is born. or should, anyway. nothing should be more important than your child.

• Members

I already have 2 kids I have full custody of,trust me,I know how expensive kids are. My spending spree expires at the end of the month and that is when I start saving,I did think about it more after reading the post here. I won't be buying to much. The reason I am replacing my stands are because they are worn out,I bought used ones except for the Yamaha one,which I bought new. I have 2-3 coming in a week or so I am trading to a friend for my old set of hats. New Yamaha boom stands.He can get a discount on them that I can't,I am selling the hats for $100 so he should be able to get me 3 at his cost. They retail for $60 each. After I get that I will need only 1 or 2 more stand to finish that part. The reason I did choose Yamaha is because they are the next step up from price from the pdp stands and no way I am buying anymore of them.I have 2 broken ones now.

On the new floor tom,my out of pocket cash at the time was $50.I traded in some cymbals I wasn't using and they gave me a few dollars more then they were worth plus a $20 off coupon.Make that $75 I bought new heads while I was at it. As far toms go,I am 100% done with them.I don't need a 2nd BD and don't need another mounted tom which would be the 14" I have no use for with what I already have,that'd be overkill.

I have been trying to find as much used stuff as possible.I think I bought 2 of my cymbals new,the rest are used. I am wanting a few more splashes which are fairly cheap if bought used,$40 or less each.

I had my tax check planned out already but that changed when she said she was pregnant,it goes to buying baby stuff and if there is anything left it gets saved. We don't need a lot of things,she has some left over stuff from her first child but I figure I will still spend about $1500 buying baby stuff at tax time. I don't get huge tax checks,I am a contractor so I get what's left over from child tax credit,not much but it's something. I do make decent money for the amount of time I work.I make more in 2 days then what people who work 40 hr min wage jobs make in 2 weeks.Reason I have stayed with it for 8 years.

My BD pedals are DW4000's. I had them looked at by a friend,they are just sluggish.We tried adjusting it out with no luck,I'm thinking about just going with a single BD pedal.I can live with an Iron Cobra Jr. About $60 so price isn't to bad,would trade the DWs in for it so it would lessen the price out of pocket.

• Members

the part of who you are takes a back seat when your kid is born. or should, anyway. nothing should be more important than your child.

OK, what I'm saying is just my personal experience and I don't expect everyone to agree. If personal interests are allowed to ride in the back seat and don't have to be given up altogether, it can be a workable plan. But a person who sacrifices who they are just to do the right thing will eventually face resentment. Pretending it's alright doesn't last. I'm a little gunshy of people telling me what I need to be doing or setting limits on me. The guy's already talking about hiding something. That's a BS way to live. Once that starts, there is no end to it. Some people rationalize it. I won't stand for it.

• Members

OK, what I'm saying is just my personal experience and I don't expect everyone to agree. If personal interests are allowed to ride in the back seat and don't have to be given up altogether, it can be a workable plan. But a person who sacrifices who they are just to do the right thing will eventually face resentment. Pretending it's alright doesn't last. I'm a little gunshy of people telling me what I need to be doing or setting limits on me. The guy's already talking about hiding something. That's a BS way to live. Once that starts, there is no end to it. Some people rationalize it. I won't stand for it.

Would you stand for your child getting less than the best, or what they deserve out of life?

One who can't figure out how to deal with sacrifice shouldn't have children in the first place.

I am quite happy to have a wife who understands that drumming is part of who I am. I choose to put limits on how often I gig each month and how often I rehearse each week, and how often/much gear I acquire too, and I hear nothing about what I do choose to do from her.

But I still don't get to do any of it as often as I would really like to if I didn't have a family that is MORE deserving of my time, attention and money.

But I'm the one who chose to get married, buy a house, have a kid, etc.

I suppose "don't do the crime if you can't do the time" might be an appropriate way to look at it, but I like to think of it as don't make decisions you can't support.

• Members

rriiight. but it's a little different when a life is at stake. i admit, i was a bit resentful of my son at first. i think it's natural. but when you're talking about things that need to be hidden? well, i say they shouldn't be there to begin with. if it's cause for a fight, then it's worth thinking hard about. no one is asking him to give up drumming. he HAS a killer set-up. when i had my kid, i had four kits, four guitars, three basses, lots of amps, etc. now, i have two kits, two guitars, two basses, two amps, etc. just made me think about what i really needed.

• Members

Would you stand for your child getting less than the best, or what they deserve out of life?

My answer to your question is "Certainly not". Reading the rest of your comment tells me that the decisions you've made along the way were made by you. You seem to be the kind of person that does not require direction from others in order to make decisions that benefit you and your family. Also, I do not think that you are the kind of person who would stand for somebody telling when to this, or when not to that. That would be a challenge to your decision making process and I don't see you putting up with that. Based on your comments, I don't see you as being the kind of person who'd put up with manipulation, stand for sneaking around, or do anything that you did not decide was absolutely the right thing to do.

• Members

I didn't want to start a war over what right and wrong. I have common sense about things. Right now I feel she is jumping the gun at telling me to stop buying stuff for the drums when we have 8 months to go until the baby is born. Factor in what I am buying is rather small stuff now and will be purchased with money I have extra after buying what I need for the 2 kids I have now and the new baby when it comes.

NEVER have I put my own interest over that of my kids welfare.My kids have ALWAYS came first and always will. If the kids need something they get it,even if there is a good deal on something I want,they always get taken care of first.

I did have a talk with my g/f tonight and I explained to her what my plans are as far as the drums go and how much more I would be spending,it'd add up to around $500 give or take some depending on what I can find used. I don't need that much more to get the drums to where I want them. A few splash cymbals that I can buy used from GC for $40 or less a few stands which I am working out a deal on some new ones now with my old hats,a new hi hat stand since my has been abused and is worn out,I am keeping my snare stand since it is still ok and then the BD pedal which I decided on a single BD pedal and an inexpensive one I know I will be ok with.

I am not that bad with money,I could be but I know my limits and I know what comes first over everything else. She knows I have a love for playing and I know that I wont get to play as much when the baby comes since they are loud,but that is how it goes and I am willing to step up and do what it takes to ensure my kids are taken care of. I'd go as far as selling them if something major happened to one of my kids and there were medical expenses not covered by insurance.

• Members

Sorry to jump on you Shawn. you've already got twice as many kids as me so I'll just cool it.

Not knowing anything about you I got the feeling from the first post you wrote up there that you were a 20-year-old kid who habitually blew all his money on gear.

If you've got the income to take care of your kids and enjoy your hobbies more power to you.

• Members

Sorry to jump on you Shawn. you've already got twice as many kids as me so I'll just cool it.

Not knowing anything about you I got the feeling from the first post you wrote up there that you were a 20-year-old kid who habitually blew all his money on gear.

If you've got the income to take care of your kids and enjoy your hobbies more power to you.

It's ok. I did have my first kid at age 20 though lol. I do spend a lot on gear but I make sure everything is paid and taken care of before I do.I'm just trying to finish this project up because I know I won't have the extra to make big purchases for a long time.Now it's just the small things I want to finish it up.

• Members

I didn't want to start a war over what right and wrong.

Sorry to interject my own experiences. Flags went up and I couldn't keep my mouth shut. I'm sure you're more than capable of running your own life. I took this way out of the context of drumming anyway. Congrats on the arrival of your new born, and once again, I apologize.

• Members

Based on your comments, I don't see you as being the kind of person who'd put up with manipulation, stand for sneaking around, or do anything that you did not decide was absolutely the right thing to do.

Hmmm...manipulation or sneaking around...

Like buying drum gear and hiding those purchases from your SO/wife/GF/mother-to-be of your child?

You're right; I wouldn't put up with it at all.

Archived