best cheap shells

schecterc1lh

• Members

Basically, i am leaving my kit at my church so i dont have to haul a ton of gear back and forth, and am looking for a very cheap drumkit so i can practice at home. I am looking at about $250 tops for shells only (well, i would need the tom mounts with it). I know thats not much, but these dont have to be great, just something to practice with. With that said, i would like to get the best possible for that price. I am thinking maybe some pearl forums or exports, or maybe sonor force 1000 series, but those are just a few options. If you were choosing a beater kit, what would it be and why?

• Members

think used, man. i got all of my rogers shells for about $400 (24, 20, 16, 15, 14, 13.) no hardware, powertone, late 60's. point is, you can find used stuff to fit your budget at a good price. just be open, and check craigs.

• Members

think used, man. i got all of my rogers shells for about $400 (24, 20, 16, 15, 14, 13.) no hardware, powertone, late 60's. point is, you can find used stuff to fit your budget at a good price. just be open, and check craigs.

Yea, i am definitely going used! What kits would you recommend?

• Members

If you were located in NorCali I'd say hit up Starving Musician, otherwise, Musicians Friend has new shell pacs by Tama , Mapex, PDP and others regularly for less than 5 bills.

In your price range I'd suggest used.

Or perhaps guitar may suit you better...

You really aren't gonna come close to a real drum kit {a 5 piece,all hardware and 3 cymbals}for less than a grand.

If brand, quality, and style mean nothing to you, you might also troll about EBAY you might get lucky and get something decent for less.

My 2cents worth. Spend it wisely.

Not sure if you really read what i was asking or not, but all i need are the shells. I am looking used, and dont really expect much, but i would think i could get something decent.

• Members

'pends on what you like. personally, if putting together a kit, i'd look for a kit i really want, but don't care about the wraps. that's what i did with my rogers. now that i have all the shells, i plan on getting them rewrapped.

check: http://www.drumfarm.com/ and look in the loner section. also, email bobby and ask what he has. sometimes he'll be willing to just deal. he's a good guy, and very honest.

if you're looking more recent used, i like yamaha stage customs and ludwig element series.

• Members

Read it. Like I said cheap and drums don't really mix but if your patient Ebay may yeild something good. For $250 I'd expect to get a 4 piece, no hardware.

Figure an equal amount on hardware. Luck may be in your favor though with this {censored}ty economy alot of posers are giving up...

By the way how much were you plannimng on spending on all the rest?

yeah, im thinking a 4 piece, and the only hardware i am expecting it to come with would be the tom mount. I have all of the other hardware needed already.

• Members
'pends on what you like. personally, if putting together a kit, i'd look for a kit i really want, but don't care about the wraps. that's what i did with my rogers. now that i have all the shells, i plan on getting them rewrapped.

check:
and look in the loner section. also, email bobby and ask what he has. sometimes he'll be willing to just deal. he's a good guy, and very honest.

if you're looking more recent used, i like yamaha stage customs and ludwig element series.

cool, ill snoop around over there.

• Members

Absolutely. Along with any other intermediate kit made from a decent company, Yamaha stage customs, Ludwig rockers, tama rockstars, etc. As long as the shells arent damaged, decent heads and proper tuning can make a cheap set sound amazing.

cool, i will keep those in mind for sure! How are the pearl session kits? There is one local that is pretty cheap, got me wondering.

• Members

Craigslist.

I've seen PDP, ddrum, and even old Slingerlands in that price range. Of course, with the Slingerland brand - you'll need tom mounts and tom brackets because the old Slingerland style was crap. But their drums were good.

Personally, I'd look for something in the PDP and ddrum range. Wait it out as long as you can - Christmas is coming and people will be selling things to buy new things.

:)

• Members

I'll second the Yamaha Stage customs. Heck, even the Stage II's were really good. None of the companies producing instruments in this range can afford to produce crap - because that is the level that most drummers purchase in. Not everybody can afford a Spaun kit, or a DW kit, or whatever. There is a reason the Pearl Export was the #1 selling drum set in the world for years on end - it was affordable, could be made to sound decent, etc.(The same goes for Peavey.)

Archived