Which lock washers work best

Shawn76

• Members

strange. i've been using them for years. they work great for me. they do make ones that screw on the tension rod, just above the lugs. they screw down against the threaded collar locking them for sure. not sure what they're called. i'm sure someone else will chime in.

• Members

Yep:

Ludwig Lock Nut - P24291

That being said, I'd only apply these on a snare drum.

If your floor toms are going out of tune that much/it's that big of a problem...either (1) learn to tune properly, (2) tune so there's actually tension on the drum head, (3) hit softer or (4) get some drums/hoops that are actually in round. You shouldn't have the type of problem you're describing unless you are either tuning-impaired, tuning lower than your drums can realistically achieve, or there's a product quality issue.

• Members

Well the 14" ad 18" FT are not even a month in use,the 14 just came Friday. I have them tuned correctly and they still fall out of tune,I've even tuned a bit higher to put more tension on them and they still fall out of tune.

Ready to give up adn sell the whole darn set and go back to Tama,never had this problem with my old Tama kit. The mounted toms are great,they stay in tune BD stays tuned just the darn FTs.

I will check the hoops tomorrow and see if they are round like they are suppose to be,that is the only thing I haven't checked but I see no reason why they shouldn't be. I have also used hot rod sticks and they still fall out slightly.

• Members

Well the 14" ad 18" FT are not even a month in use,the 14 just came Friday.

If they are factory new (i.e., not used drums), that narrows it to either a catastrophic fault with QC at the factory or some sort of user environment error (either fundamental flaw in how you're tuning or as cearlywine noted, a temperature issue, etc.

Simply should not occur as you're describing.

• Members

Yeah, those square things; how can they NOT work?

Couple thin about tolerances. The drum might be under sized, the hoop might be over sized, both. Throw in daily ambient variables and maybe the head keeps changing alignment. (?) Were they seated right in the first place?

• Members

^that's what i thought, too. but not everybody likes 'em.

i tune my ft pretty low, so it loosens if i smack a rim. that's why i use a lug lock on the closest two lugs, problem solved. about every two sessions or so, i finger-tap around each head to check tension. what's nice about the locks? they're decent reference points for the original tuning. i can typically, quickly re-tune.

• Members

Yeah, those square things; how can they NOT work?

GENERALLY speaking, I know it's a low-failure point type product, but there are actually a couple of ways those can be ineffective:

1) I believe there are some generics that use a softer plastic. That results in the tension rod read being able to slip inside the hole itself in some circumstances, especially if you've taken the lock on and off multiple times and thus, stretched the hole out of shape too much.

2) Since it's not a precision-made product to start with, I've had more than a regular occurrence of the locks being cut too short/small, thus not being able to stop against the hoop itself.

3) I actually have a snare (maybe two) where the distance from tension rod head to rim is slightly larger/longer, and as in #2 above, the lock won't stop against the hoop.

The inconsistency of those plastic ones is why I got the Ludwig nuts in the first place. No issues with those, but again, only use for snares; I've got a full kit where I have the plastic ones on the reso head side of all the toms.

Archived