I have a weakness, and my wife supports it. .....

ThePloughman

• Members

plough, i note a lot of big R stuff. i usually see some of that stuff at a decent price, but don't really know what's worth it. is there an era or model(s) worth looking for?

i heard some of the late 70's, early 80's isn't worth it. is that wrong?

• Members

The Silver Metallic set in the lower left, was my first owned drumset. I bought those in 1979, I was 19 and had been playing for 5 years. The two chrome drums above them are Powertone COB 5x14 snare drums. The seven amber maple snare drums in the center are ten ply maple Rogers XP 10 snare drums, four are Supertens, three are Dynasonics. One of the Supertens belonged to Gina Schock of The Go-Go's. Two of the maple Dynasonics have consecutive serial numbers. One of those belonged to Cosmo Clifford (according to the San Diego dealer from whom I aquired the drum). Snare drums on the right, Four Superten COS, and Five COB Dynasonics, one of which is one of the earliest Beavertail Dynasonics made. The black set, upper right, is an 18, 12, 13, 14 factory set from 1983, very rare. The green sparkle set was put together from orpan xp8 drums. And the absolute best of the best are the three 60s sets. 1964 wine red ripple, 1966 steel gray ripple, 1966 blue sparkle.

I play them whenever I can.

The XP8 drums were produced from 1979 to 1984 when Rogers closed up shop. They were probably the best built drums in the America at that time. It wasnt quality that killed the company, it was the corporate parent.

• Members

The drum bags seem to be rather rare. As for the cymbals, I seen a few during the Brook Mays period, early 2000's, but they werent a quality item. Have not seen any vintage ROGERS branded.

Had a complete set of bags in 69. Black with Rogers insignia. Also had a complete set of Rogers cymbals given to me the same year, 20,18,16,13 hats, and 10 splash. Did not sound bad at all, but were definitely not Zildjian quality. The cymbals came from stock located at the Covington factory, must have been what was shipped with sets that included cymbals.

Archived