Open Jams.Anyone do them?

Shawn76

• Members

I went tonight as I try to every Tuesday since I work weekends. I am friends with the members and their drummer was down with back problems so they had no drummer or kit to use.

I took mine,which is the first time it has left the house since it has came through the door. I played songs I've never played but have heard over the years. What surprised me the most is how well I played them with no practice or hearing it first.One song I haven't heard in 2-3 years but I still remember how it went,never attempted to play it before. I guess I have a better memory when it comes to music then I thought. I didn't play note for note but I laid out the basic beats and improvised the rest.

Played most of Enter Sandman as well,which I never play but know most of the parts but the rest of them screwed up my timing and it went to hell after the solo but hey,it was open jam,I was allowed to screw up!

Anyone else do open jams? I don't remember seeing a post here about them.

• Members

Well like I've said as a junior here, I live just outside of nowhere. Open mics pop up occasionally and attract the usual bunch of hams and amateurs. Naturally I gotta show too. I've played a smattering of bass, keys, guitar, besides drums. Usually lame one chord funky thangs or worse reggae But you know,for me it's a way to stay familiar with the stage while I'm busy shedding.

• Members

They kept it to rock music tonight but you never know what they will throw at you,hell one night a guy brought a trumpet and played it to Metallica. I remember one night they done a slow version parody of Hells Bells.It wasn't meant to turn that way but the drummer started and the others followed. They done it one other time since but I seem to leave the camera at home those nights. Really need to record that one.

But then there are nights where no one really shows up to do anything so it's rather lame. It's a small town where they do it at so I think that has something to do with it. They have many open jams around town but I don't have time to go to others,always working or something going on keeping me from going.

I will say after tonight,having to tear my drums down,load them in the car,set them up and tear down and set them up again at home was a big hassle. I have more respect for those who do this every weekend for a living.I couldn't do it,not with the size my kit is. I don't think people really know what all is involved in bands that gig local bars.It's not as easy as I thought and I have helped the drummer years ago setting up and tearing down but don't remember it being as bad as tonight was. I used to help run all the cables,run lights and whatever else needed done. I was abut 16 and getting into bars doing this.I'd get drunk off my ass,lucky the excise police never came in.

• Members

You mean "Amateur Hour"?

Nope.

You probably couldn't pay me enough to do so. From what I've seen of them, there's always a guy or two who can hold it down on their own, but they are almost always populated in large part by people who really shouldn't be playing out in public in the first place.

Total clown school, IMO.

I understand some people enjoy things like this for some sort of musical camaraderie or just to get out if they haven't played in a long time, etc.

Absolutely zero interest in this kind of thing for me, though.

• Members

Yup, I play at one in Framingham, MA whenever I can, normally every other week. The bass player who hosts it has a fantastic ear, great knowledge of music, and is a fun dude. A lot of times we hold it down and play to the styles and likings of whoever comes in.

I do it because it's fun and you never know what will happen. Last time, I was playing a slow, deep funk groove (similar to "Summertime") and a dude in a full body pink bunny costume came in and blew an absolutely sick flugelhorn solo over it.

You ain't gonna see that on the lighted stage!

• Members

Yep. Some of the members and I of the classic rock cover that retired last November, still host an acoustic open mic night, that we have/had been doing for the past 6-8 years or so. Mostly "folky" guitar players and the like. I bring just conga's. Unfortunately, no one ever comes up to play percussion, so I end up playing the whole night. Not that I mind, but I'd rather be behind a kit. :lol:

• Members

Yep. Some of the members and I of the classic rock cover that retired last November, still host an acoustic open mic night, that we have/had been doing for the past 6-8 years or so. Mostly "folky" guitar players and the like. I bring just conga's. Unfortunately, no one ever comes up to play percussion, so I end up playing the whole night. Not that I mind, but I'd rather be behind a kit.
:lol:

You should set up a small 4 piece with just a crash,rid and hats and see what happens.Not a lot to haul around like my idiot self done Tuesday and took everything lol.

• Members

Every friday night {7/8pmish to midnight}there is a open to the public jam session in downtown Palo Alto, that I frequent. It allows me to stretch out a bit past the confines of my decidely studio/producer/composer mentality.

Corner of University and Emerson @ the Pizza My Heart plaza, in case you are wondering. Some goodtimes to be had, especially if you know how to play one or many things...

A dozen or so small portable amps make up the backline/soundstage,we have a drumkit, plenty of guitars, a keyboard {cheap} and bass. Bring it if you got it and intend to use it.

{PS:anything bigger than a 2x12 is pretty much total overkill, please dress accordingly}.We could really use an accomplished keyboardist/synthethist who could bring a decent board.

Saturday nights are sometimes happening too, albeit a bit more exclusive in attendance/participation. Check your
local
listings...

I've played with quite a few PHD level musicians up there, so bring your own gear, and have no fear for The Radman will be there!

Also I hear tell of similiar shenanigans/situation @ Murphy's Law in downtown Sunnyvale, {on Murphy Street} on monday nights. Call 'em to confirm if you please....

Wish I could check those out ... as an observer of course. Coyote used to post here. He's got equipment, Manouvre also dabbles in keys. No actual pianists here I don't think and like myself unavailable in Ca regardless. lol.

Post some clips pls.

• Members

I have been to a lot of these. I dig it. When I travel on business I always find one in the local town to go to. It is a great way to hang with some musicians and to learn to play nice with others. Being able to play with people you've never played with before without hours and hours and hours of rehearsal is a skill all musicians should have. Open jams are a good way to hone this skill. I learned a lot about playing the blues both on drums and keyboard from going to these.

To those who say they are a wast of time and "amateur hour", I'd say that not all jams are created equal. I've been to some really good ones and not so good ones. I've also seen and played with some really good musicians at these things.

Go to the Hole in the Wall in Dallas hosted by Hash Brown and tell me that's amateur hour and a waste of time.

If you don't want to have to sit around all night and maybe not even get to play, the best thing to do is get there early and sign up. If you can be the first or second drummer on the list that helps. If you waltz in at 10:30 or 11, good luck.

• Members

I think there is an online presence, google Sue Webb's Blue Diamond Jam {perhaps as Susan}

you're bound to find some {censored}e on UTube or Facebook

Please do come out and check us out there are some pretty original things going on sometimes....and we having a blast....

Thanks. Always looking to hear 'regular' people who can play. As far as getting out your way, I make it to CA once every 10, 15 yrs lol. I think Boomboom drums back ^

• Members

I went to a jam night about 3 months ago. The ages were between 18 and mid-20s, with myself (27) being the oldest. Definitely just didn't do it for me. I left after about 30 minutes. Drum kit was total junk, couldn't hear anything. Maybe I've just become spoiled with a quality kit and IEMs...

Archived