Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Open Jams.Anyone do them?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Every friday night {7/8pmish to midnight}there is a open to the public jam session in downtown Palo Alto, that I frequent. It allows me to stretch out a bit past the confines of my decidely studio/producer/composer mentality.
    Corner of University and Emerson @ the Pizza My Heart plaza, in case you are wondering. Some goodtimes to be had, especially if you know how to play one or many things...
    A dozen or so small portable amps make up the backline/soundstage,we have a drumkit, plenty of guitars, a keyboard {cheap} and bass. Bring it if you got it and intend to use it.
    {PS:anything bigger than a 2x12 is pretty much total overkill, please dress accordingly}.We could really use an accomplished keyboardist/synthethist who could bring a decent board.
    Saturday nights are sometimes happening too, albeit a bit more exclusive in attendance/participation. Check your local listings...
    I've played with quite a few PHD level musicians up there, so bring your own gear, and have no fear for The Radman will be there!
    Also I hear tell of similiar shenanigans/situation @ Murphy's Law in downtown Sunnyvale, {on Murphy Street} on monday nights. Call 'em to confirm if you please....

Wish I could check those out ... as an observer of course. Coyote used to post here. He's got equipment, Manouvre also dabbles in keys. No actual pianists here I don't think and like myself unavailable in Ca regardless. lol.

Post some clips pls.
    Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...
    <div class="signaturecontainer">
    <div class="bbcode_container">
    <div class="bbcode_quote">
    <div class="quote_container">
    <div class="bbcode_quote_container"></div>

Write Something...

Comment

I used to do them when I was playin out regularly...on a dark night. It's a bitch for me cause ya'll set up backwards...
      The Southpaw is rising again!
      I finally made it into the Flaming Pedals of Doom. That was the longest and toughest audition I ever had to endure!
      Yep...Still the Director of the Geezer Guild for 2013...and counting

http://carminem7.wix.com/carminestrollo

Comment

I have been to a lot of these. I dig it. When I travel on business I always find one in the local town to go to. It is a great way to hang with some musicians and to learn to play nice with others. Being able to play with people you've never played with before without hours and hours and hours of rehearsal is a skill all musicians should have. Open jams are a good way to hone this skill. I learned a lot about playing the blues both on drums and keyboard from going to these.

To those who say they are a wast of time and "amateur hour", I'd say that not all jams are created equal. I've been to some really good ones and not so good ones. I've also seen and played with some really good musicians at these things.

Go to the Hole in the Wall in Dallas hosted by Hash Brown and tell me that's amateur hour and a waste of time.

If you don't want to have to sit around all night and maybe not even get to play, the best thing to do is get there early and sign up. If you can be the first or second drummer on the list that helps. If you waltz in at 10:30 or 11, good luck.
        <div class="signaturecontainer"><b><font face="Comic Sans MS"><font size="5">P E A C E</font></font></b><br />
        <br />
        <font face="Comic Sans MS"><font size="1">&quot;A band that is not appearing is disappearing&quot;</font> -- </font><font size="1"><b><font face="Comic Sans MS">Art Blakey</font></b></font><br />
        <br />
        <font size="1">&quot;</font><font face="Comic Sans MS"><font size="1">If you can't play the blues you might as well hang it up&quot;</font></font> -- <font size="1"><b><font face="Comic Sans MS"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Dexter Gordon</font></font></b></font><br />
        <br />
        <font face="Comic Sans MS"><font size="2"><font color="Blue"><a href="http://myspace.com/boomboomdrums" target="_blank">http://myspace.com/boomboomdrums</a></font></font></font><font face="Comic Sans MS"><font size="1"><ul><li>Yamaha Stage Custom Drum Kit (Marina Green)</li>
        <li>Ziljain, Paiste, Wuhan Cymbals</li>
        <li>1972 Slingerland wood Snare Drum</li>
        <li>KORG TR keyboard</li>
        <li>Cubase LE</li>
        <li>Tascam US-122 USB Interface</li>
        <li>George Steck Baby Grand Piano</li>
        </ul></font></font></div>

Comment

Anything for you, Danny Boy!

Well I'll be damned
          <div class="signaturecontainer">&quot;If you can't play the blues...you might as well hang it up.&quot; - Dexter Gordon</div>

Comment

I think there is an online presence, google Sue Webb's Blue Diamond Jam {perhaps as Susan}
            you're bound to find some ****************e on UTube or Facebook
            Please do come out and check us out there are some pretty original things going on sometimes....and we having a blast....

Thanks. Always looking to hear 'regular' people who can play. As far as getting out your way, I make it to CA once every 10, 15 yrs lol. I think Boomboom drums back ^ < there plays some jazz keys and he does travel.

Write Something...

Comment

Well I'll be damned

I see two pointy thing receptor interface stations. No wabbit.

Write Something...

Comment

I went to a jam night about 3 months ago. The ages were between 18 and mid-20s, with myself (27) being the oldest. Definitely just didn't do it for me. I left after about 30 minutes. Drum kit was total junk, couldn't hear anything. Maybe I've just become spoiled with a quality kit and IEMs...
                <div class="signaturecontainer"><div class="bbcode_container">

No, that's not normal. What's the mixer?

</div>
                </div>
                </div> <div class="bbcode_container">

It's the behringer...

</div>
                </div>
                </div> <div class="bbcode_container">