Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Britain's got great guitarists and bass player and ivory guys, flutists and singers. But drummers? Not to these ears!

I always thought Simon Phillips was a first rate monster drummer. He's from England.
    P E A C E

"A band that is not appearing is disappearing" -- Art Blakey

"If you can't play the blues you might as well hang it up" -- Dexter Gordon

http://myspace.com/boomboomdrumsYamaha Stage Custom Drum Kit (Marina Green)
    Ziljain, Paiste, Wuhan Cymbals
    1972 Slingerland wood Snare Drum
    KORG TR keyboard
    Cubase LE
    Tascam US-122 USB Interface
    George Steck Baby Grand Piano

Comment

I always thought Simon Phillips was a first rate monster drummer. He's from England.

Agreed. Along with many, many other great drummers from the UK.
      Not quite sure what geographic location has to do with talent, like the poster was suggesting?
      "If you can't SAY something with your instrument, try sellin' cars."-
      The late, great Tony Williams

www.russleonardi.com
      www.zephyrsound.com
      — Sonor Designer Maple shell (heavy) 8 pc. for studio
      — Premier Genista 7 pc. for live gigs
      — Tama Silverstar "Metro" 4pc. for certain live gigs.
      — Paiste, Bosphorus and Sabian cymbals, depending on what I'm doin'.
      — Small collection of assorted snare drums to suit my mood.

Comment

Phil Collins and 70's Genesis is awesome as well.
        "As in drug rehab? or derhh, I crashes muh motorcycle rehab??" (Cross Eyed Mary) *** One of the founding members of The Geezer Guild***

Comment

This guy really hates British drummers. Maybe his Welsh nanny touched his naughty bits as a boy?

If you suck at drums, play them louder. Worked for Phil Rudd.

a) I never had a nanny. I just listen and hear guys whacking the skins as hard as they can on the beat. nothing sweet there.
          b) So...as you said, most just play them louder.

A couple of weeks ago somebody posted a YT of Rod Stewart's "Maggie May". As I listened to it, a great ballad, I realized the drummer was totally RUINING IT! Then I listened to my favorite all-time cover by Stewart, of Tim Hardin's "Reason to Believe" and found I was hearing the same damn thing! A drummer too loud, too simple, and just plain too cheezy.

Then the other night, I watched "Help!" again, Beatles on the cusp from bubblegum to Beethoven-like brilliance and even though most of the songs were stupid lyrics, the music was clearly evolving. And poor, maligned Ringo was ABSOLUTELY KEY to the sound on all of them, as was McCartney's fabulous bass work. Joe Morella's drum work on "Take Five" is as integral to that classic as Brubeck's piano and Desmond's sax.

Maybe there are exceptions to be added to the Starr, Watts, Moon trio, but I don't hear it in the much-hailed British drummers.

Comment

O.

Morell - O
            Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

You're right about this drum track. The part is lame. But that's what, the 60s? And it's the production not the drummer. They'd go in and be asked to pin the meters for optimum s/n. Then they'd be mixed, mastered and pressed with no kick drum to boot. You'd hear it on a radio with only midrange, you'd be knocked out and go buy the damned 45 and take it home and love it to death on a toy record player with only midrange PLUS the dirt and scratches. The drummer did enough of his part on this one.

Comment

Music, music, I hear music
                Fitch Drums - The Blog for the Aspiring Non-Professional Drummer

Comment

Waa ?

lol

Comment

a) I never had a nanny. I just listen and hear guys whacking the skins as hard as they can on the beat. nothing sweet there.
                    b) So...as you said, most just play them louder.

A couple of weeks ago somebody posted a YT of Rod Stewart's "Maggie May". As I listened to it, a great ballad, I realized the drummer was totally RUINING IT! Then I listened to my favorite all-time cover by Stewart, of Tim Hardin's "Reason to Believe" and found I was hearing the same damn thing! A drummer too loud, too simple, and just plain too cheezy.

Then the other night, I watched "Help!" again, Beatles on the cusp from bubblegum to Beethoven-like brilliance and even though most of the songs were stupid lyrics, the music was clearly evolving. And poor, maligned Ringo was ABSOLUTELY KEY to the sound on all of them, as was McCartney's fabulous bass work. Joe Morella's drum work on "Take Five" is as integral to that classic as Brubeck's piano and Desmond's sax.

Maybe there are exceptions to be added to the Starr, Watts, Moon trio, but I don't hear it in the much-hailed British drummers.

Please let us know who these 'much-hailed British drummers" that you despise so much are so we can better respond to your idiocy.
                    For cripe's sake, somebody buy that kid a freaking DICTIONARY already!

Comment

I'm not a big Elton John fan, but a few years ago my wife and I went to the Elton John/Billy Joel concert. Nigel Olsson was on drums. He didn't do anything flashy or revolutionary, but my gosh man, the guy was rock solid and played totally for the song. I was impressed. He's from England too I believe.
                      P E A C E

"A band that is not appearing is disappearing" -- Art Blakey

"If you can't play the blues you might as well hang it up" -- Dexter Gordon

http://myspace.com/boomboomdrumsYamaha Stage Custom Drum Kit (Marina Green)
                      Ziljain, Paiste, Wuhan Cymbals
                      1972 Slingerland wood Snare Drum
                      KORG TR keyboard
                      Cubase LE
                      Tascam US-122 USB Interface
                      George Steck Baby Grand Piano

Comment

as far am i'm concerned there really was NO better drummer at playing so many different genres and nailing it than Jeff Porcaro...from rock to funk to jazz to ballads...this guy could do so much RIGHT it was downright scary!!

if i had as much power as a player in my whole body as Porcaro did in his little toe i'd be honored.
                        Mapex Pro M
                        Paiste cymbals
                        Attack heads
                        Yamaha stands and pedals

Comment

i think we can stop defending british drummers now. who really cares, anyway? there has been more trolling on this thread than i've seen in quite a while.
                          i miss you, mark
                          r.i.p. rudy

Comment

Well he left. Not leik Lr egG.

And I enjoyed my posts.

Comment

Defo top of my list nick, Jeff's feel & touch was literally sensational.

Comment

Wonder if anyone mentioned that Gavin Harrison hails from that isle? I'd hardly call him stiff, or lacking in groove....I'm not gonna post any clips because everyone in here are well enough aware of what he can do on a kit.

As for Bad, Medium, and Great....Eye of the beholder . One person's sacred cow is another person's laughing stock and a third's Pinata. So, Troll boy, That you Slag someone like Bruford is , of course, your right to your opinion. I think you are so wrong that you couldn't be more wrong if you were wronged with a 3 pronged wrongulator, but that's just me

As for Greatest? there's is no such thing anymore. 40 years ago it was easy. There was Buddy, and then there was everyone else. I've said many times that the technical ability of all the usual suspects that get discussed in here are totally mindblowing, and more than a tad intimidating. However, were you to preface that list, so-called, with a caveat: Best ' all round' ....well again, this is my Opinion, and I don't know if I'd put him first, but Vinnie C. is certainly in my mind one of the best examples of ' Well Rounded ' drummers out there you can think of. First Call On the Iphone of some the best musicians on the planet, Has Studio work booked solid years ahead of time, Can, and has in the space of a week cut commercial jingles, played on Faith Hill and Megadeth CDS, takes a back seat to noone in any style you can think of, Supplied Jeff Beck with the best Rhythm section he's had since the 70s ( Vinnie and Tal W.) and, to this day, now into his mid 50s, is capable of doing things on a drum kit that would spin the heads of most of us weekend warriors out there. Here's one clip of Vinnie with Herbie Hancock's band.....When you can get Herbie to smile and shake his head...you know he's the King....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVrBv1iCmXs

Enjoy!!

Comment

Working...
                                X