Madonna + Drumline

danrothmusic

• Members

Most credible Super Bowl halftime performance since Prince in '07.

Wait, what?

Last night was a credible performance?

Yikes.

Mega major big league production, yes.

But I'd expect that for the Super Bowl halftime show.

But did any of you actually listen to the music? Specifically her new song, which simultaneously rips off Toni Basil's "Oh Mickey" and Gwen Stefani's "Hollaback Girl" (which is ironic, as Stefani was ripping off Basil and Madonna...).

Sure, it was no Black Eyed Peas, but still horribly lame, IMO.

• Members

Wait, what?

Last night was a credible performance?

Yikes.

Mega major big league production, yes.

But I'd expect that for the Super Bowl halftime show.

But did any of you actually listen to the music? Specifically her new song, which simultaneously rips off Toni Basil's "Oh Mickey" and Gwen Stefani's "Hollaback Girl" (which is ironic, as Stefani was ripping off Basil and Madonna...).

Sure, it was no Black Eyed Peas, but still horribly lame, IMO.

[video=youtube;0jCNYlL7nt0]

That about sums up what I heard at halftime.

• Members

The man that composed the drum line score is a friend of ours and a college classmate of my wife. His name is Jimmy Gaspard and he is a band director here in Southeast Texas. Helluva musician!

Edit- he did the score for the National Anthem, not the Madonna stuff.

• Members

It
was
Vogue.
:lol:

Wow, talk about short-attention spans...

It was Vogue for about 1/4 of the performance, along with several other songs.

Started with Vogue, then went into Music, then the retarded LMFAO tune over Music, then her new single (with Nicki Minaj & MIA) which is what I referred to above, then Open Your Heart with the IU drum line & Cee-Lo, and finally ended with Like A Prayer (also with Cee-Lo).

• Members

The drumline was the most redeeming thing about the half-time show. It KILLS me that amidst a sporting event like the Superbowl, where each person on the field is expected to give their 100% best performance, we do half-time shows with so much mothereffing LIP-SYNCHING.

At least the drums were real. And The Who last year was one of the best half-time shows we've ever had.

• Members

The drumline was the most redeeming thing about the half-time show. It KILLS me that amidst a sporting event like the Superbowl, where each person on the field is expected to give their 100% best performance, we do half-time shows with so much mothereffing LIP-SYNCHING.

At least the drums were real. And The Who last year was one of the best half-time shows we've ever had.

Hey, James Brown and ZZ Top lip-synched in their half-time appearances...it is what it is:

They have about 5 minutes to move the entire production onto the field and then go, no time or opportunity for a real-sound-check at the field itself. Mix in the need to have the audio heard throughout/across the stadium of that size with no traditional PA set up as well as send to the broadcast feeds all on top of the performaers moving about quite a bit so that there's some actual SHOW in the halftime show...

Lip-synch makes the most sense.

Yes, it can be done without, but it's not like we're talking about real concerts/performances. The visual is way more important than the individual performance.

And as much as I'd like to be able to pretend it never happened myself, the Black Eyed Peas were last year (Who were 2010).

Archived