"Old" drum restoration question

drumsdb

• Members

So I need some help from any of the drum building / restoring people around here. First a quick backstory:

I have a 7x14" snare that was built for me custom by Donoho Drums about 8 years ago. About a year ago, I popped a lug...but I couldn't reach Donoho to get replacements. (I since learned he retired after a pretty major stroke). To make matters, my snare drum rack broke just as I was starting to unload it for a move. Fortunatly, I was able to catch it before any drums went down, except this one. So now there is several scratches in the matte finish as well as 2 poped lugs. (I noticed another one around that time).

As of now, I think I am just going to get a new wrap and new lugs. (When you remove the lugs you can still see some "scratches" from where they set in the finish).

However, just in case, does anyone know if there is away to save this finish? (See pictures). I don't think it could just be sanded and I don't know how to refinish this type of finish. ** I could not find a way to not make that sound horribly redundent**

Thanks for the advice.

Any

• Members

I can definately feel the marks. The finish looks great, but is very delicate. Every scratch shows and anything more than a scuff goes through several layers. This includes the contact points of the lugs.

Alas, live and learn. $185 for a custom snare drum, designed as I requested...still only worth $185. At least I can resue the shell and components to salvage it.

DB

• Members

Yeah, and that was $185 in 2004/5 ish. The shell is a 10-Ply keller, so it's still good. The hoops and strainer/butt are still good, but I can't get replacement lugs...as such, I'm going to have to buy new lugs for the holes. By the time I buy a wrap w/ finishing tape... and new lugs... we are looking at $200 in new parts.

$200 + $185 = $385... about the cost of a good custom snare drum that will last many more years.

I need to go smack my 24 year old self.

DB

• Members

have you tried to get new inserts for the lugs so they will still be useable? Then you would just have to refinish.

I believe that they are solid and don't have inserts. However, I'm not 100% sure so I will look when I get home tonight. That's a great idea to check out! I can't beleive I didn't think of it...

DB

Archived