Custom Classic from Sigler Music

Marko

• Members

This would be a slight upgrade to standard Accents. This would be a lateral move if you have Accent Customs. The consensus I've heard from guys who have owned and played them is that they are okay. Nothing to write home about, and no brand name to give you any resale value in the future. It's up to you, but not a kit I would buy.

• Members

I wouldn't risk it.

The shells may be birch, but that doesn't mean they are put together well, and the hardware will inevitably be the Achilles' Heel in any case.

Nice that it comes with hardware at that price, but again, cheap is cheap. I suspect you will spend nearly as much buying replacement stands in the short-term anyway. For a budget-concerned kit purchase, there are better options at a slightl higher price, but they will last longer AND will be warranteed from a known name manufacturer.

You specifically mentioned having to re-purchase (I've read your other threads, so I know)...

You don't want to have to re-purchase the bulk of this kit inside of 6 months, do you?

There is a MASSIVE gap between this kit and the e-Drums you were looking at price-wise, even if you consider what you'll pay for cymbals. Boost your budget and meet somewhere in the middle (~$1-1.2k for drums & hardware) and I bet you'll end up in a far better place in the long run.

• Members

First of all, do you need as 6 piece kit?

With a smaller kit you could get better quality for similar $.

If your patient you could search for a better quality used kit and really stretch you $.

Also, if you want new look @ shell packs if you already have hardware that is good enough quality. If you don't know, a shell pack is drums only, sometimes no snare, and will only come with hardware for toms and sometimes a kick pedal. No cymbal stands or hi-hat or snare stands.

Every company has different levels of quality. I would stick with name brands such as Ludwig, Tama, Pearl, Gretsch, Mapex, PDP, DW. That way it's easier to research different levels of quality/price point.

Let us know what you end up with or if you have any more questions.

• Members

Agreed, there are a lot of better deals to be had out there for $600 or less. Get something of good quality, maybe even vintage. I have a Slingerland 22/13/16 in 3ply blue sparkle that I'm selling for that much...

What drum forum were you looking at with positive reviews? If you say PDF, I'll give you a big ol' facepalm...

• Members

What exactly is "B" stock, anyway?

I was looking at those for a while before deciding in the Yamaha Stage Customs. I looked at this forum, http://ccdrummerforum.niceboards.org/forum , and while most of the posts were of the sort like "Great value" and "The big boys are scared, these custom classics will put them out of business", there were a few that detailed problems they were having with quality control. Specifically, there were some problems with the hardware coming loose and stripped threads. Something about the floor tom legs IIRC. That was enough for me to cross them off my short list.

Got the Stage Customs and couldn't be happier. They have 100% birch shells. They were under $650, no stands or pedals, except for a snare stand. The set is rock solid and I like having the name of Yamaha behind it.

• Members

As I psoted above, my biggest concern would be that these are an unknown mfr with no real track record...

The company name alone is strike one in my book.

I was looking at those for a while before deciding in the Yamaha Stage Customs. I looked at this forum,
, and while most of the posts were of the sort like "Great value" and "The big boys are scared, these custom classics will put them out of business", there were a few that detailed problems they were having with quality control. Specifically,
there were some problems with the hardware coming loose and stripped threads
. Something about the floor tom legs IIRC. That was enough for me to cross them off my short list.

And that's exactly to be expected from a no name mfr of this type: cut corners on hardware (on the drums AND the stands themeselves) to get an otherwise great shell out the door for cheap.

Strike three.

Make your own choice, OP, but I'm only hearing things to be worried about.

• Members

I've 'played' a set of the Cat Maples in a Guitar center. the drums seems pretty solid, but the snare sucked. What you're looking at is a shell pack so no hardware other than tom holder and legs for the floor tom. Also, make sure there is an extra tom holder and clamp for that 'free' 8" tom. It'll have to attach to a cymbal stand.

Like I said before, you really ought to look at used gear in the area. You might be surprised at what you find. Especially since you've let yourself into the 800.00 price range.

• Members

If you are not the drummer, there is no way that we can explain to you how playing an e-kit feels, sounds, and responds so much differently than real drums. I get the stage volume concern, so your buddy needs to have good touch for the room. But forcing him to play e-drums (unless he is in favor of it) would be painful at best.

• Members

Another option is a good set of triggers and a quality controller on an acoustic kit. Muffle the heads or use mesh heads and you could use e-cymbals. But that seems like it would blow your budget. Agree with kmart - get out of low budget kits. Hell, there are always good used electronic kits out there. You say you don't like the look, but the look of a pos kit falling apart on you cuz you tried to cut corners is worse!

That Gretch kit you were looking at isn't bad for the $. Just get cases and take care of it and. Get a better snare and decent hardware.

So, I don't believe you've mentioned here what kind of music you guys are going. That may make a big difference depending on what your needs are.

• Members

Another option is a good set of triggers and a quality controller on an acoustic kit. Muffle the heads or use mesh heads and you could use e-cymbals. But that seems like it would blow your budget. Agree with kmart - get out of low budget kits. Hell, there are always good used electronic kits out there. You say you don't like the look, but the look of a pos kit falling apart on you cuz you tried to cut corners is worse!

That Gretch kit you were looking at isn't bad for the $. Just get cases and take care of it and. Get a better snare and decent hardware.

So, I don't believe you've mentioned here what kind of music you guys are going. That may make a big difference depending on what your needs are.

Classic rock, Motown, oldies, some country

• Members

What's the problem with the Accents? If the shells are round it might be better to get some new heads for that one till you can get hold of a little more cash.

Two identical kits, one in the rehearsal studio, and one that lived in the band trailer that was stolen and recovered empty.

Crazy story, the details of which I

Archived