Pick your poison...er...ah...bass player...

fusionfunk

• Members

OK. Tell me what you like and look for in a bass player. As much maligned as they can be, they are very much a part of the rhythm section, and what we do and respond as drummers, so what trips your trigger?

And I don't want the obvious, like 'good time', 'great groove', 'great pocket', etc. To me those things are basic to any musician, and to lack them, well they're just not a good player.

I'm referring to what special traits set a bass player at the top, making it a joyous experience to play with.

For me, it's a bass player that can play very melodically, and really add and embellish the melody of a tune. Ala, Stanley Clarke, John Patitucci, Jaco Pastorius, Charles Mingus, Ron Carter, etc. Cats like that make being a drummer a blast.

What about you guys?

• Members

Same here for me. I have the most fun playing with Isaac, the bassist in my band. He and I have a way of writing a song within a song.

To me, drums and bass should almost always be locked together, but when the bassist is just following the root notes the whole time, it gets real boring real quick.

• Members

I look for a bassist who understands, values, and shows in his playing the concept of RESTRAINT.

I'm with this. I don't like playing with busy bass players. I like bass players that play solid, simpler lines that I can lean on and sync up with. 2 of my favorite bass players I've played with played this way and the whole band was tighter as a result.

• Members

I like bass players that have a deep musical knowledge. Instant composition is a breeze when guys can just lay down a line that supports everything else, without going too far. Normally these guys play other instruments as well, therefore they have different perspectives on the music.

• Members

My dad plays a 5 string and is phenomenal on bass. Not just by himself either. He is exceptionally good at locking in with a drummer no matter what the situation. I guess when you have played for around 40 years that happens!!! Lol

• Members

WOW! I would never have expected a statment like that from you.

Look, for the music I play and have played, the styles of music I've done and what's required musically...a 5 string bass is simply...unnecessary. And frankly, it says a certain something about someone who brings the wrong tool for the job (or in this case, to0 much for the job).

I COULD bring a double-bass kit and 5 toms/15 cymbals to gigs. But I don't, because I recognize the right tools for the job.

IMO, a 6 string bass is just retarded, unless you're some avant/jazz/fusion guy, in which case...you won't be playing with me in the first place.

But pop/rock stuff in general?

It's really not...appropriate, I guess. Certainly not for what I've played, or what I want to play.

You want a note lower than open E? Hipshot D-Tuner.

Beyond which, I've yet to meet a single bass player who was so proficient and such an amazing player on a 4001 or Jazz bass that I thought; yeah, those 4 strings are limiting his playing...

Blow me out of my socks on one of those, and then we'll talk about the need for a 5 string.

And yeah, sacrilegious as most bass players think it to be...in many cases, I LIKE a guy who plays with a pick.

• Members

I like bass players that have a deep musical knowledge. Instant composition is a breeze when guys can just lay down a line that supports everything else, without going too far. Normally these guys play other instruments as well, therefore they have different perspectives on the music.

YES,100% Also a team player that can hold time and help reel in run away guitar players

• Members

Kmart a lot of time I can relate or agree with your opinions but on this I can't. Having an extra string isnt the same as 20 extra pieces of drum/cymbal. Judging someone's ability based on their instrument size is the wrong answer. Some people can achieve everything they need with less equipment but enjoy playing with more so to speak. As a drummer you should base your opinion off of how well a bass player can lock in with you and how well he plays not what he plays.

• Members

Kmart a lot of time I can relate or agree with your opinions but on this I can't. Having an extra string isnt the same as 20 extra pieces of drum/cymbal. Judging someone's ability based on their instrument size is the wrong answer. Some people can achieve everything they need with less equipment but enjoy playing with more so to speak. As a drummer you should base your opinion off of how well a bass player can lock in with you and how well he plays not what he plays.

Ill do my best not to react with the verbal beat down via the 'I've been playing in gigging bands for more than 25 years straight and you're practically just starting out for all intents and purposes' reasoning...

In a perfect world, perhaps what you're saying holds merit, but this isn't a perfect world.

With some time and experience, you'll perhaps come to recognize that there truly are some books that can be judged by their covers...a guy bringing a 5 string to a straight-up rock band is more often than not exactly what I expect it to be...more often than enough that I'm willing to make the judgement without giving benefit of the doubt.

• Members

Very good point MX.

I love playing with a big kit, not because I want to show off, or overplay/overpower the music, for I always believe in playing what is appropriate for the tune, but because I love to have the option of many colors and voices on my palate, at my disposal. I love to play very melodically. Having the option of many voices/colors to choice from, can really embellish the music.

Of course, the music you play will be the determining factor in that choice, always.:thu:

• Members

There's no arguing that you have much more experience. Experience is the key to all of it. If your experiences are that guys with 5 strings are bad then obviously you will be more inclined to always feel that way. All I'm saying is judging someone because they have an extra string without knowing why is IMO arrogant. That's the equivalent of you having everything you need now but deciding you like another cymbal and adding to your kit then the band dropping you because you have to much without any regard to your abilities. I know for a fact that over the years you have added stuff and been givin "the benefit of the doubt". Obviously I'm not saying that because I feel a different way that you should/have to change. I'm just saying I disagree because it's highly hypocritical and once again IMO arrogant. In all reality the only musicians I could see being that pretentious are guys who literally think they're the {censored}. I'm not saying that's you but I can say that for someone with your knowledge and experience I expecte you to be a little more wise. That's not to say I think you're dumb or anything like that. We both know I think you're smart since I tend to seek your advice but on this topic I personally feel you're wrong.

• Members

Thats so full of {censored}!!! Lol this guitard shows up in Wrangler jeans,and he's out!!! If that girl that sings so good it puts tears in your eyes,and gives you goose bumps shows up expecting to sing with ME,using a 58,she's out!!! If that drummer shows up to this audition driving a Subaru,I won't let him in the door!!! I can go on all day drawing parallels of the exact same degree of the ignorance of your statement(earlier post).I'm not offended,or angry in any way,I just feel sorry for you.Extremly!!! Lol As I said before,WOW! Never saw that coming at all.

• Members

Thats so full of {censored}!!! Lol this guitard shows up in Wrangler jeans,and he's out!!! If that girl that sings so good it puts tears in your eyes,and gives you goose bumps shows up expecting to sing with ME,using a 58,she's out!!! If that drummer shows up to this audition driving a Subaru,I won't let him in the door!!! I can go on all day drawing parallels of the exact same degree of the ignorance of your statement(earlier post).I'm not offended,or angry in any way,I just feel sorry for you.Extremly!!! Lol As I said before,WOW! Never saw that coming at all.

1) If wrangler jeans are what someone wants to wear to an audition, they're more than welcome to wear them...so, NOPE (However if you're talking about potential performances, and Wranglers don't fit the image of the band, then yes, goodbye sir).

2) An SM58 is a perfectly acceptable vocal mic in any situation. ANY (It's the Jazz bass of microphones). NOPE.

3) If he can fit his gear in that car, I don't care what he drives. NOPE.

You can present a billion and a half examples and spend all day doing so if you want, however please don't mangle the language by calling them parallels, because using your sample above, they're not actually parallel at all.

Touching a sore spot am I?

Unable to view this from a completely detached perspective?

It's the only reason I can think of why someone would respond with such total hyperbole/drama.

That's ok; don't take it personally.

Here it is in simplest terms:

I've gone through more than enough auditions and start-ups to come to a conclusion that I hold to:

Gut instinct rules. Period.

Taking chances counter to instinct and giving the benefit of the doubt, in general, ends up being a total and complete waste of time more often than not.

I have been burned/disappointed/etc. far too many times to allow myself that luxury any more. If something, even the smallest thing, sets my Spidey sense tingling...chances are good that's the end of whomever.

Does that attitude mean that I'm POTENTIALLY missing out on amazing players, etc.?

Absolutely.

But the juice isn't worth the squeeze for me; I don't have the patience or desire to muck around with 'maybe' guys, nor have I for a long, long time.

Again, if I was to be in a situation where the goal was to have someone who SHOULD want to stretch out on bass, fine, bring your Kubicki or whatever and go to town.

But that's not the kind of stuff I play, nor where I want to play.

You make your decisions how you want to, I'll make mine how I want to.

If you need to walk away feeling superior because you're less judgemental than me, etc., please do so. It matters not to me.

Archived