All hard rock is the same.

1001gear

• Members

The drumming is usually loud and uncluttered. I think this works in the absence of dynamics by implying deep contrasting detail. I had the basic loady interest in hard rock but that fell by the wayside along with the weed so I'm not up on even 70s/80s stuff. I gotta search Ytube for some examples.

Meanwhile, post your favorite electric riffy rock (heavy metal in my time) with good drum parts and why you think so.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

did my grandmother or the Grammy committee start this thread? lol wtf is "hard rock"

is this "hard rock"?

[video=youtube;3qY8SwTY96k]

or this? my fav song by these guys starts @ 2:30

[video=youtube;h1zRJK_xy8U]

unfortunately both bands have dead guys in them

• Members

did my grandmother or the Grammy committee start this thread? lol wtf is "hard rock"

is this "hard rock"?

or this? my fav song by these guys starts @ 2:30

unfortunately both bands have dead guys in them

The first one has the simple drums and attitude. Asian rock bands are comical tho. The second one has the riffy 4/4 and screaming so it'll do. What are your criteria for that kind of drumming?

• Members

The writing to musical? ?

no, but you spoke of hard rock and heavy metal. winger is neither. if you look at your own examples, you cover 3 different types of music. Winger ("hair band," pop rock, etc.) foo fighters (pop again, but different era. i guess more hard rock than anything.) finally pantera?? ( metal, for sure. )

• Members

Heavy metal was like Zep, Sabbath, AND Iron Butterfly, Hendrix, Steppenwolf ad nauseum ... It's all hard rock to me. Anyway the topic is drumming to heavy, riffy, tunes. Notice the drum parts. Sparse and infrastructural. ACDC counts. Doesn't have to be bone simple retarded drumming, just parts that fit right.

try this:

This is like Klllers meets Chicago. Strange but tight drum fit. Good enough.

• Members

I dont understand what you guys are saying!

this is an effort to transcend "normal" categorizations by looking for a middle ground, in this case. what the seventies referred to as "heavy metal," or "hard rock," as it would have been in the eighties. as the category's name changes, the general attributes stay the same.

an example of comparable bands across the decades would be: led zep, sabbath, ac/dc, def leppard, deftones, tool, godsmack, motley crue, clutch, motorhead, etc.

(^^trying to get a couple of bands per decade.)

or, i'm totally wrong.

• Members

this is an effort to transcend "normal" categorizations by looking for a middle ground, in this case. what the seventies referred to as "heavy metal," or "hard rock," as it would have been in the eighties. as the category's name changes, the general attributes stay the same.

an example of comparable bands across the decades would be: led zep, sabbath, ac/dc, def leppard, deftones, tool, godsmack, motley crue, clutch, motorhead, etc.

(^^trying to get a couple of bands per decade.)

or, i'm totally wrong.

lulz. Good musicology is always good info. Death is not a requirement. That last example sounds southernish. Guitar based, harmonically static, ton of attitude and drumming that's On T.

@Mraia

I suppose the troll headline elicits all kinds of specificity - allowed if it's relevant. My concern with the original proposition, besides the quality of tune, is the drumming. The pro choice (of drumming) with hot guitar parts seems to be simple and spacious. This makes musical and commercial sense - no mystery there. Post your take if you like.

• Members

yeah, that clutch tune is pretty impressive. i'm attracted to more simplistic playing, as long as it compliments the band. my last project was kind of like clutch.

i was thoughtful about what else was going on. reminded me of how i approached drumming in a trio setting. especially when gtr solos abound, you only have a bass player to gel with; i had to make sure we filled the space properly. fun fun.

• Members

1001: Prime 70s Metal: Deep Purple: Burn

There's nothing remotely predictable in Paice's playing...Because he had a background in Jazz, even his 4/4 tempos swing. This is one of fave ones to play, but I'm gonna post a whole bunch other ones:

Lay Down Stay Down: Metal with a big dose of Motown R and B

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7d2dn5gLDUU

STORMBRINGER:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzGk8cYJVjc

(You Can't Do It Right ) With the one you love: Proto Funk Metal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tkztez9YlI

Lady Double Dealer

Check out the outro on this one..... Paicey burning up the vinyl on this one...

• Members

Deep Purple was never a favorite for me. I always looked for "better" tunes - tunes with more than just that bluesy Dorian thing. Worlds Greatest Local Band in my book. Be that as it may, the first 2 tracks have that 70s "I can play TF outta these drums" style. Mitch Mitchell was another guy like that. In retrospect, the problem I have with that approach is well, it's still just rock with the drums acting up. Great for teen drum nuts but a double edged influence for anyone with loftier goals and sure to keep you stuck in local bands. The last three fare better per this thread. More professional parts, better commercial fit and product - and frankly commerce IS the gig.

Any bands from the 80s and 90s?

• Members

Eh, lotta razzle dazzle live. I differentiate between guys who are merely good - hot even - on their instrument and guys who transcend those personal difficulties to make the music happen. Why I generally prefer jazzers. The material and training is more optimized along those lines. But that's another Bbq.

I'd look toward prog - Jethro Tull say before I considering DP. Which reminds me, where would Cream be classified?

Archived