Beat Bug

FitchFY

• Members

I thought I've posted about this in the past, but can't find anything, so here goes...

Anyone here own or used the Beat Bug?

They've modified it (Beat Bug 3) now and it's only $80. I find the concept of this tool VERY appealing, especially with the cover band prospectus I'm looking at next year.

http://www.luglock.com/beat_bug.htm

Any thoughts?

• Members

NOW threshold knob
WITH WHITE LINE!

Gotta be worth something. What does it do?

In short, Captain I Can Read About The New "Features" Yet Not What the Product Does," :poke: ...

This thing takes a reference to your back beat and evens it out to a number in the BPM world (0-255) so you know where you stand. It's not a metronome that you follow, it's a meter that says where you are.

There's all kinds of things to look at here that could throw this thing off.

- Loud ghost notes

- Snare patterns that aren't just 2 and 4

- Odd time signatures

- Fills

That being said, it's not meant to be used all the time - it's a reference. I dig the idea of it a lot, enough to be thinking about just saying "What the heck" and giving it a shot, but I'd love any feedback if there is any.

• Members

Ok, it's for like band fights. Cool. I think mMMaaaybe if you PWI a lot it might help keep you in the zone.

If you remember to check.

That's what I'm thinking. Most of what I play in a cover capacity obviously is with a backbeat, and though I'm happy with my time, it never hurts to be a bit more spot on. Hmmm.

• Members

I use a Beat Bug. I think it's great. Yeah, it kindof only really works with back beats. But, it is a great reference as you say as to if the tempo is wavering. It has helped me get my time a lot better.

The great thing about playing with it with others who's time is not so great, is that it stops the "you're speeding up", "no, you're slowing down" arguments where in reality no one really knows who's doing what.

Practicing with a metronome is great. But when you get in rehearsal and everyone is speeding up and accusing you of slowing down, then you know for sure. I've found that other band members will defer to it also and ask "were we slowing down?" instead of "YOU'RE SPEEDING UP !!"

I've never been able to play with others and if someone is speeding up I notice and hold the reins where I am even though everyone else is charging forward or vice versa. So it really helps me.

Before you get all uppity and think they only are for chumps with bad time, Dennis Chambers uses one when he plays with Santana.

• Members

I pulled the trigger on the Beat Bug 3 today - hopefully it'll show up sometime next week. I'm pretty stoked to play around with it and see how I do with it. It seems like a really great tool if it works as it's proposed.

Pictures and reviews to come!

• Members

It will keep you honest I suppose. Staring at the the thing during the whole gig won't help whatsoever, but if you glance down at it every once in a while can't hurt. Personally, I like to pay attention to the music while it happening on the bandstand.

Metronome work in the woodshed helps develop your inner clock so you can play good time no matter what on the gig. But again, the BB is not a bad thing necessarily. Let us know how ya like it.

Archived