Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beat Bug

I thought I've posted about this in the past, but can't find anything, so here goes...

Anyone here own or used the Beat Bug?

They've modified it (Beat Bug 3) now and it's only $80. I find the concept of this tool VERY appealing, especially with the cover band prospectus I'm looking at next year.

http://www.luglock.com/beat_bug.htm

Any thoughts?
    Music, music, I hear music
    Fitch Drums - The Blog for the Aspiring Non-Professional Drummer

NOW threshold knob WITH WHITE LINE!

Gotta be worth something. What does it do?
    Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

NOW threshold knob WITH WHITE LINE!

Gotta be worth something. What does it do?

In short, Captain I Can Read About The New "Features" Yet Not What the Product Does," oke: ...

This thing takes a reference to your back beat and evens it out to a number in the BPM world (0-255) so you know where you stand. It's not a metronome that you follow, it's a meter that says where you are.

There's all kinds of things to look at here that could throw this thing off.
      - Loud ghost notes
      - Snare patterns that aren't just 2 and 4
      - Odd time signatures
      - Fills

That being said, it's not meant to be used all the time - it's a reference. I dig the idea of it a lot, enough to be thinking about just saying "What the heck" and giving it a shot, but I'd love any feedback if there is any.

Comment

Ok, it's for like band fights. Cool. I think mMMaaaybe if you PWI a lot it might help keep you in the zone.
        If you remember to check.

Comment

Ok, it's for like band fights. Cool. I think mMMaaaybe if you PWI a lot it might help keep you in the zone.
          If you remember to check.

That's what I'm thinking. Most of what I play in a cover capacity obviously is with a backbeat, and though I'm happy with my time, it never hurts to be a bit more spot on. Hmmm.

Comment

Practice to a click/metronome; perform without...

(unless you're playing to a click, in which case, play with the click)
            For cripe's sake, somebody buy that kid a freaking DICTIONARY already!

Comment

I use a Beat Bug. I think it's great. Yeah, it kindof only really works with back beats. But, it is a great reference as you say as to if the tempo is wavering. It has helped me get my time a lot better.

The great thing about playing with it with others who's time is not so great, is that it stops the "you're speeding up", "no, you're slowing down" arguments where in reality no one really knows who's doing what.

Practicing with a metronome is great. But when you get in rehearsal and everyone is speeding up and accusing you of slowing down, then you know for sure. I've found that other band members will defer to it also and ask "were we slowing down?" instead of "YOU'RE SPEEDING UP !!"

I've never been able to play with others and if someone is speeding up I notice and hold the reins where I am even though everyone else is charging forward or vice versa. So it really helps me.

Before you get all uppity and think they only are for chumps with bad time, Dennis Chambers uses one when he plays with Santana.
              P E A C E

"A band that is not appearing is disappearing" -- Art Blakey

"If you can't play the blues you might as well hang it up" -- Dexter Gordon

http://myspace.com/boomboomdrumsYamaha Stage Custom Drum Kit (Marina Green)
              Ziljain, Paiste, Wuhan Cymbals
              1972 Slingerland wood Snare Drum
              KORG TR keyboard
              Cubase LE
              Tascam US-122 USB Interface
              George Steck Baby Grand Piano

Comment

In ears + Tama Rhythm Watch = band fight solved

Actually, that destroyed one band I was in, guitarist got pissed off and quit. "I have perfect timing, this is bull****************!"
                Spam'o'matic:

Nothing!

Comment

I pulled the trigger on the Beat Bug 3 today - hopefully it'll show up sometime next week. I'm pretty stoked to play around with it and see how I do with it. It seems like a really great tool if it works as it's proposed.

Pictures and reviews to come!

Comment

It's sitting on my kitchen table right now (in the box). Frustrating part -- couldn't play last night, out to see Tremonti tonight... which means tomorrow I can try to live fire it at band practice. Ohmanohmanohmanohman!

Comment

mirror mirror on the wall ....

oops gotta go ...

Comment

It will keep you honest I suppose. Staring at the the thing during the whole gig won't help whatsoever, but if you glance down at it every once in a while can't hurt. Personally, I like to pay attention to the music while it happening on the bandstand.

Metronome work in the woodshed helps develop your inner clock so you can play good time no matter what on the gig. But again, the BB is not a bad thing necessarily. Let us know how ya like it.

"My approach to odd times is no different from anyone else who can play it. I just sub-divide it in to groups of two and three based on what I heard other people do in the past"....... someone from the crowd yells: Do it !!! .........."Ok, I'll do it!"

Yeah, I let, I let them go out front and pranch around a bit, while I provide the forward thrust .... " - Stewart Copeland

Comment

they should make those things for guitar players...i dont have a tempo problem but i have played with guitar players and bass players even vocalist that do.

Comment

Set it up last night and took a ton of pictures... I'll write up a real review and post it tonight.

After using it for one band rehearsal... I really like it.

Also, my tempo is apparently pretty solid.

Comment

Working...
                            X