Do Wraps effect Sound?

D

• Members

I don't see how wrapping the wood of a shell wouldn't make a difference. But how much is another question all together. I would suspect it affects resonance to some degree.

How much I have no idea. Probably not much.

Still...I would probably always choose to buy lacquered shells over wrapped ones.

• Members

I had two dw 10" toms (both 8" deep). One wrapped, one satin oil (no finish on it at all, except stain and oil). The satin oil tom resonated at least TWICE as long as the wrapped one. Of course, that's a subjective measurement, but they were two identical dw toms, two years apart in manufacture, and the difference was astounding. Wrap definately deadens the shell.... at least in my experience.

• Members

I had two dw 10" toms (both 8" deep). One wrapped, one satin oil (no finish on it at all, except stain and oil). The satin oil tom resonated at least TWICE as long as the wrapped one. Of course, that's a subjective measurement, but they were two identical dw toms, two years apart in manufacture, and the difference was astounding. Wrap definately deadens the shell.... at least in my experience.

I am inclined to agree with you...as I mentioned in my post. To think that encasing a piece of wood that is meant to resonate, in a layer of whatever...thin metal..plastic, etc is NOT going to have a negative effect is kind of naive. I mean it's physics, and it's most certainly NOT subjective. If one tom resonates longer than another then that is objective.

BUT...having said that....your experience is still somewhat inconclusive simply because they are two different shells.

The only way to properly find the answer is to do a controlled experiment using the same shell. And then verifying it with other shells to see if it's consistently reproducible.

• Members

In your experience playing them side by side with no other sounds/noise involved, I'm certain that's the case.

Put those drums on a kit with other shells, cymbals, etc., and play them with other instruments in a band setting I'm as near convinced as possible that nobody could tell the difference.

Also, a satin oil finish is really the extreme end of things. You'd have noticed less difference if it had been a lacquer finish vs wrap.

• Members

I have two C&C 3 ply maple kits in the exact same sizes, one is lacquered and the other is wrapped. There is NO sonic difference in the kits. NONE. If someone set up both kits and blindfolded me, there is no way I (or anyone else, I believe) would be able to hear a difference.

• Members

Everything logical about science, physics, and audio frequencies says to me wrapped drums SHOULD sound different than painted kits, but they really don't. But for some reason, I feel like a bad wrap job would affect the sound -- having it snugly wrapped may have an effect.

But yeah, I've heard many a clear, open drum sound from some wrapped up kits. I guess that gives us the free and clear to keep Scott Rockenfield's RockenWraps company in business!

• Members

Where the DW toms of the same era/shell construction. If you were comparing a Keller DW to a DW made shell, that could explain some of the difference, as the Keller DW's have a different tone.

Nope. Both were dw made shells (the gold badge era), both tuned to their 'note' (one was C the other C#). They both sound good, just the non-wrapped one had a longer decay. Oh well... ymmv!

• Members

Nope. Both were dw made shells (the gold badge era), both tuned to their 'note' (one was C the other C#). They both sound good, just the non-wrapped one had a longer decay. Oh well... ymmv!

Much like Mraia's ability to make his bass drum pedals smoke... YOU HAVE SUPERHUMAN HEARING.

Must be all that sun and seafood down on Kumaniwannalaya. :D

• Members

If resonance was such a big plus people wouldn't buy pinstripes, moongels or the like. resonance is clearly overrated. wraps are nice cause they are usually tougher than other finishes and some of em look fantastic.

I don't buy those things. I can't stand the sound of dead dull toms when playing drums. So it's not overrated for me.

• Members

I don't buy those things. I can't stand the sound of dead dull toms when playing drums. So it's not overrated for me.

I'm with Soundcreation... I never use any sound dampeners (except in my bass), I just tune my drums. But resonance is often a personal preference thing like every aspect of drum sounds. Like big, open, resonant, boomy drum sounds.

However, I don't think it's the issue at hand here. The fact's are this:

1) Yes, a wrap can and will alter the sound and resonance of your drums...

2) The degree that someone may notice is VERY slight, and only truly noticeable under very controlled circumstance.

3) This change may be good or bad depending on your desired drum sound. If applied correctly, a wrap will often just act as another ply for the shell.

DB

Archived