Drummers - I need your help/input/advice about an agressive, loud drummer

LynchProtoge

• Members

I'm starting up a cover band with a seasoned pro who is genuinely nice, but is also uber aggressive on his kit. I am playing through a 212 and its barely hanging in there against him. He says it sounds fine and is ok with it - but I insist its not as much for him as it is for me.

I dont really want to have to get a bigger/louder amp, but I also dont quite know how to effectively communicate with this guy to get him to ease up and not hit so hard like godzilla on his drums.

I think hes used to playing with guys who have stacks and it was never an issue - as he makes no apologies and shows no sign of compromising his heavy hands. We just met and I dont wanna make any rifts by insisting he ease up - but I really dont wanna have to upgrade my gear just to compete with his thrashing.

Any suggestions on how to approach this kind of guy to get him to understand or at least take the hint and tone it down?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Is this in rehearsal or at gigs?

In either case, Politely explain that while it may sound just right to him, the nature of drum kit set ups means more sound is projecting out/away from his position, and he'll have to accept your assessment on things and adjust accordingly.

Otherwise...sayonara.

• Members

"he makes no apologies and shows no sign of compromising his heavy hands"

Perhaps you need to change your definition of "seasoned pro".

Do you suggest I just be blunt and politely insist he tone it down? Is it assumed among drummers that knowing when to tone it down is important?

• Members

"he makes no apologies and shows no sign of compromising his heavy hands"

Perhaps you need to change your definition of "seasoned pro".

+1. If hes so great he will have no problem finding another band that fits him better. In the meantime, WHILE he learns to have more dynamic technique, you can try asking that he use lighter, smaller sticks, with wood tips over nylon. Thats about the only thing I can think of hardware wise to make things quieter. (Ignore brushes, they will likely be too soft and are intended for certain applications.)

Step two is you tell him to get with it as a band, or find a new drummer.

• Members

It's possible he might be a "pro" who has always played with sound reinforcement & never had to work dynamically - I know some guys even have practice spots like that. Just say it honestly - if he can't respond reasonably or understand & adjust, probably not the right guy/situation.

...or you might be a {censored} with lame equipment - no offense, I just don't know.

• Members

It's possible he might be a "pro" who has always played with sound reinforcement & never had to work dynamically - I know some guys even have practice spots like that. Just say it honestly - if he can't respond reasonably or understand & adjust, probably not the right guy/situation.

...or you might be a {censored} with lame equipment - no offense, I just don't know.

I think your dead-on with your first comment. I am nice & my equipment is good - I'm no push over and I come prepared.

• Members

Talk to the others in the band. If you guys are on the same page, and he cant get with it, then he isnt the best fit for you. That isnt being rude or anything, just something he should appreciate too. I wouldnt want to play with a group I didnt fit with, thats why I left country music.

Not all players are going to be right for each other. Just ask him nicely but firmly to tone it down. If he is unwilling to cooperate, then it's not the right fit. Doesn't mean either of you are lousy players, it just means that the pieces of the puzzle didn't fit. Find the one that does!

:thu:

• Members

What Merlyn said, do that and you will be fine!

Somebody please explain why like 20% of the population in the world puts a Y in my name? Is that a common spelling in folklore? I suppose Im not that well read in Arthurian legend.

In any case, its written right there in every post I make, just sayin... :p

• Members

I hate you all.

Settle down, Misha. :D

So hey, OP -- question I didn't see get asked: what type of music are you guys playing, out of curiosity? I ask because I don't know a huge amount about guitar amps (a "212"?), but some bands require loud drummers for conviction. A soft drummer playing Distrubed and Rage Against the Machine covers is no good.

So though I'd imagine everyone here is probably on the right level, I'll play Devil's Advocate for a second and ask what type of band you're looking to have for said covers?

• Members

Settle down, Misha.
:D

So hey, OP -- question I didn't see get asked: what type of music are you guys playing, out of curiosity? I ask because I don't know a huge amount about guitar amps (a "212"?), but some bands require loud drummers for conviction. A soft drummer playing Distrubed and Rage Against the Machine covers is no good.

So though I'd imagine everyone here is probably on the right level, I'll play Devil's Advocate for a second and ask what type of band you're looking to have for said covers?

Fitch: 212 = Two 12" speakers in cab. Sometimes a combo setup; not always. Since I know nothing about wattage, SPL, etc. I will end my guitar discussion now.

I also tend to agree with Morlin and the rest of the guys. Great players don't necessarily fit together. But Fitch has a good point as well. Some music lends itself to aggressive drumming. But even within that realm, if the drummer's overpowering the band, he needs to adust.

I don't know if you're playing out or what kind of rooms you're playing, but I can almost guarantee someone/somewhere is gonna ask you guys to turn it down. Can your drummer accomodate such a request?

Archived