Gig report: Broke my bass drum pedal spring!

jenksdrummer

• Members

2/3 the way through 1st set, middle of playing "You Really Got Me" (VH version, of course) and go from "boom" to like I just stepped on a brick.

{censored}.

Broke a head, look down, nope - meanwhile I'm still going up top like nothing wrong. I try and use my left foot on my slave, and that one still works, but I don't have nearly the ability to play with that side so I just finish out the song, knowing it must be the spring!

I tell the singer I need 3 minutes, going to swap springs...quickly undo the right side of my pedal (Tama Iron Cobra, bought it right after they came out with the Cobra Coil) - and pull that piece off, repeat for the other side, put it on the other, screw it down, and GO! In all, less than 2 minutes.

Sucks because that was right in the middle of a high-point for that set, where we do a trio of VH songs. No more doubles for me that night =/

Anyhow, thought I'd share...

Anyone know where I can get a replacement spring assembly? I think I'll get 3. Two new ones, and 1 replacement...

That said, I've had this pedal for over 3 years, so, having one let go after what all it's been through, well, that's not bad.

• Members

Sounds like you blazed right through the situation though, and that counts for a lot! thumb.gif

Ive seen people just freeze mid song when they pop a head or break a string. Then Ive seen a second guitarist jump right into the lead when the pickup or cable went out on the lead guy.

Thats called professional musicianship!

Now you will be nice and prepared.

• Members

At my gig this weekend, I ripped through my drum solo and right at the end (where I go directly into the next song lead in), I noticed my pedal had detached from the bass drum. (The 2nd pedal was kicking back so far it was bruising my ankle). I played the whole song with the pedal sitting next to the base drum.

Hey, the show must go on...right?

DB

• Members

Quick recovery is the most important thing in situations like this. Sounds like you nailed it!

Not many drum mishaps for me. Just recovering from broken sticks. But a while back when I was a lead guitarist, my amp blew up at a show mid-song. Thing cut out and started smoking at the end of the first chorus. I ran off stage, grabbed my backup, hooked it all up and had the tubes warm and was playing before the second chorus.
This was for a pop rock band too. Just to give you a better idea of the timeframe I was working with.

• Members

Quick recovery is the most important thing in situations like this. Sounds like you nailed it!

Not many drum mishaps for me. Just recovering from broken sticks. But a while back when I was a lead guitarist, my amp blew up at a show mid-song. Thing cut out and started smoking at the end of the first chorus. I ran off stage, grabbed my backup, hooked it all up and had the tubes warm and was playing before the second chorus.
This was for a pop rock band too. Just to give you a better idea of the timeframe I was working with.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by race81

View Post

wow...I carry extra springs with me and could repair my pedal but not that fast. My band mates think im crazy for bringing an extra snare....if I had an extra pedal there too, they would probably have me committed.

Extra pedal (along with spare springs), extra snare, full set of heads and an extra Hi-hat. I did have a chain link go on the Hi-hat once. I also have a tool box with gaffer tape, assorted cymbal felts, assorted tension rods, a spool of grossgrain ribbon and other small parts that may be needed. The snare and the kick pedal come into the venue with me; everything else stays out in the car because I would have to wait for the break between sets to make repairs anyway.

• Members

Also, regarding carrying extra stuff.

Meh. I carry a spare snare head because it fits in my bass drum bag and I can/do burn through those often. I carry extra sticks because it fits in my hardware case and I burn through those often. That said, I know drummers who have *years* of playing shows on the same sticks and heads...

Outside of that, there isn't a gig that pays well enough to justify pulling in the extra equipment. If something else breaks, I can either work around it, or we take a 1hr break while I go home, get what I need, come back, swap parts, and we get rolling again. If I'm playing out of town, I might bring a bass drum batter head.

I also carry the PA equipment, so, between renting a trailer, loading drums, loading PA, loading lights, hauling it to the show, unloading PA, half-ass setting up PA, unloading and setting up lights, unloading drums and setting those up, playing a show, tearing down drums, packing them up, and loading them, tearing down lights, packing them up, and loading them out, helping tear down the PA and loading it up, returning home, unloading trailer, then returning trailer, then getting home at 4:30AM...{censored} all that BS of carrying anything more than what I have to.

• Members

Nice job, man - sounds like you handled like a pro, and quickly, and that's what counts.

I also carry minimal spare gear. My bass drum case has extra springs and everything for that, and I use an auxilary snare, so worse case scenario is I'd swap those if something happens. As mentioned, gigs I play aren't worth schlepping half an extra drum set for the $100-200 I'm going to make over the course of the night.

But I respect the desire some of you cats have to always be prepared, and the want to have nothing affect your final performance.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by FitchFY View Post
Nice job, man - sounds like you handled like a pro, and quickly, and that's what counts.

I also carry minimal spare gear. My bass drum case has extra springs and everything for that, and I use an auxilary snare, so worse case scenario is I'd swap those if something happens. As mentioned, gigs I play aren't worth schlepping half an extra drum set for the $100-200 I'm going to make over the course of the night.

But I respect the desire some of you cats have to always be prepared, and the want to have nothing affect your final performance.
{censored}, the bar I'm playing tomorrow night, last time, paid us $20/man. $60 was all they would pay us, based on 20% of bar sales. Really? The only reason we're playing there tomorrow is that I *DO NOT* cancel gigs. We're also not booking there again.

Archived