Mike Portnoy going gaga during a recent show in Manila

skunky_funk

• Members

if had to play that prog snooze fest night after night I'd throw stuff too; maybe all he could hear was the jazzy keys....horrors!

did they not travel with their own sound guys? The techs seem....local. You get what you (don't) pay for IME.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by 1001gear View Post
The rules might be slightly different in Manilla.
Heh heh - his comment on it involves the mounting frustrations of the tour and playing in far off locations (like Russia and Manilla) and not being able to tour with their gear. But frustrations or not, that was pretty weak on Portnoy's part.

And I really like Portnoy. I just think he needs a vacation if this happens. wave.gif

• Members

he said on his site that he blew up because the snare mic fell off, and the tech came and took it and left the stage. lol, hate to see what would happen if something worse happened. I mean come on...its manilla.......3rd world country, and I would imagine "good" gear is hard to come by.....

• Members

C'mon guys it's the Phillipines, not Somalia.

I'm pretty sure they can find an extra SM57 somewhere in the city...

Manila.jpg

I think Mikey just may be a bit burned out tinged with a bit of regret over his recent career choices.

Then again... maybe not. I don't follow Portnoy on a regular basis.

• Members

If I may play devils advocate... They had hours to do their jobs before the show. Issue after issue would piss me off too.. Honestly he should have trashed the kit and destroyed the stage like a rock star should.. Whats all this professional talk.. Set the {censored} on fire..

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by boxofrocks View Post
If I may play devils advocate... They had hours to do their jobs before the show. Issue after issue would piss me off too.. Honestly he should have trashed the kit and destroyed the stage like a rock star should.. Whats all this professional talk.. Set the {censored} on fire..

That would perhaps be appropriate if Mike Portnoy was a rock star instead of a nerd playing nerd music for nerds.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by boxofrocks

View Post

Apparently, the whole crew was there around 10 hours at least before show start. Apparently MP was late for soundcheck (maybe he needed to sleep) and came in surprised not seeing the kit (fresh from the box from Tama) set up. The crew was waiting for instructions... tech riders nor photos were not supplied and they patiently waited for someone delegated to set up the kit up until the local Tama rep lent a hand to set up the kit a couple of hours before show start.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by boxofrocks View Post

BTW, if I may play devils advocate, that wasn't the first time, nor will it be the last, that Portnoy arrives at a gig to find things nowhere near minimum requirements.

So what made this time any different?

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by FitchFY

View Post

And I really like Portnoy. I just think he needs a vacation if this happens. wave.gif

He can't. He has bills to pay and he can't live off with the old DT catalog royalties. He must have constant session work and tours to keep the money coming in. And to his demise, he can't get as much goodies compared to when he was still with DT. All the special Tama requests are long gone.

• Members

His situation now looks to be out of his hands. Can't blame 'em, stardom is a function of they front you as a star. Can't tell if they're testing him or simply killing him. Failing regardless.
As far as the drumming; pattern generator. He could learn how music goes and get real gigs maybe and if he learned enough music, teach.
My opinion: Show biz is phony enough without the heartaches. I'd rather hear about good players and be entertained by their music.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by wrongnote85

View Post

would have been fired by me after that gig.

There is NO ONE TO FIRE because all those 'stupid techs' you all talk about (especially the guy with the long hair) are just HELPING OUT beyond what was expected of them during that night. Although the 'falling snare mic' blew Mike's fuse, it could have been totally avoidable had he been in the venue much earlier. But MP is already used to coming to the venue and just sitting on the throne worrying about nothing.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by skunky_funk View Post
There is NO ONE TO FIRE because all those 'stupid techs' you all talk about (especially the guy with the long hair) are just HELPING OUT beyond what was expected of them during that night. Although the 'falling snare mic' blew Mike's fuse, it could have been totally avoidable had he been in the venue much earlier. But MP is already used to coming to the venue and just sitting on the throne worrying about nothing.

i'm talking about firing MP, holmes.

Archived